2022 Specialized Crux 10R Frameset Build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

LSV07

by LSV07

I can't believe what I just did. As an admitted fanboy of Litespeed. I sold (and a little piece of my soul) my Ultimate Gravel that I so longed for and loved to purchase this frame. There was no other frame that really tempted me to unload the Litespeed until this new Crux. Most gravel frames are within a certain window of weight and the Litespeed was no different. It's actual weight with rear derailleur hanger, water bottles bolts and headset cups installed was 1373 grams. When the new Crux came along with an advertised weight of 825 grams I was ears perked to say the least. All the reviews of this bike were outstanding and the one that really put me over the top was James Huang's from Cyclingtips. His reviews are painfully honest sometimes and I appreciate that honesty when it comes to spending my money. Somehow or another I found a bike shop in Texas that had the color I wanted and the size. I will honestly ride this bike more on the road than gravel, but that's what I want. A truly lightweight bike in road form that I can use on mountain climbing excursions (which I prefer) and then throw on some gravel wheels and STILL have a really light gravel bike. I mean....the frame fits 700c x 47. That's incredible for an 825 gram frame.
I anticipate the build to take 2-3 weeks and I will post pictures with weights so you can see actual weights as well.

Here is my goal with a 2x AXS build: Size 52
- Road Form - 16.25lbs or less - 7.37kgs or less all in with pedals and cages
- Gravel Form - 16.875lbs or less - 7.65ks or less all in with pedals and cages
Size 52 Frameset
Size 52 Frameset
Size 52 Frameset on Scale
Size 52 Frameset on Scale
Not a bad start - 825 grams advertised, the weight shown includes the protective strip on the chainstay which is actually pretty substantial, factory protective tape on the underside of the downtube and a few factory stickers that will be removed. I'm really really surprised that the weight is pretty much dead on.

Check in every now and then to see the progress.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LSV07

by LSV07

Day 2:

Actual Fork Weight:
No bolts
No plugs
Uncut steertube - 12.50" so it will lose some weight when it is trimmed

Crux Fork
Crux Fork
Front Thru Axle
Front Thru Axle
Headset
Headset
Headset Spacers
Headset Spacers
Fork Compression Plug
Fork Compression Plug
Fork Compression Plug Bolt
Fork Compression Plug Bolt
Stem Top Cap
Stem Top Cap

Erwin

by Erwin

Nice color, nice weight! Looking forward to see it built up. Is the compression plug original?

LSV07

by LSV07

Yes, the compression plug is oem spec. It's very nice. I wouldn't call myself a Specialized fan, but so far everything from the packaging to the parts to the inside of the frame is super clean. The packaging was the best of any that I have seen.

LSV07

by LSV07

Erwin wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:28 pm
Nice color, nice weight! Looking forward to see it built up. Is the compression plug original?
Yes, the compression plug is oem spec. It's very nice. I wouldn't call myself a Specialized fan, but so far everything from the packaging to the parts to the inside of the frame is super clean. The packaging was the best of any that I have seen.

LSV07

by LSV07

Below is that proposed build list with weights. I have most everything, but I still have a few random parts to buy.

Crux Build List
Crux Build List

LSV07

by LSV07

Bought some new handlebars.....I just don't see how these can be so light.

IMG_6283.jpeg
IMG_6281.jpeg
IMG_6282.jpeg

NealH

by NealH

My favorite color on the Crux. Definitely unique and suitably colorful.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Isn't the minimum front rotor size 160?
I'll have a Crux build coming up once I get over my just completed Tarmac build.

LSV07

by LSV07

Last edited by LSV07 on Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSV07

by LSV07

tonytourist wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:01 pm
Isn't the minimum front rotor size 160?
I'll have a Crux build coming up once I get over my just completed Tarmac build.
It appears you are correct. If I use the standard mounting bracket (160/140 and flip it) I am not entirely sure why a 140 wouldn't work as it's just a standard spacing as on other forks. It's not a bolt through like the OPEN Mind where you are forced to a 160. Will have look into this. Thanks for pointing that out.

takolino

by takolino

I can confirm it's 160mm or 180mm. The bosses are located higher up on the fork. I'll be building up mine soon as well.

Frisco

by Frisco

Congrats, this looks like it’ll be a great bike and a fun build

Frisco

by Frisco

takolino wrote:I can confirm it's 160mm or 180mm. The bosses are located higher up on the fork. I'll be building up mine soon as well.
Thanks for pointing this out. I just ordered 180 to try

LSV07

by LSV07

takolino wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:48 am
I can confirm it's 160mm or 180mm. The bosses are located higher up on the fork. I'll be building up mine soon as well.
Thank you for the confirmation. Very helpful.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com