Bike #30: S-Works Aethos (not midget sized)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

RyanH

by RyanH

I decided to size up and get a 54 instead of my usual 52. Hoping that won't be a mistake but this top tube slope just hurts my eyes and the 54 is less bad than the smaller sizes. I'm also getting older so 9.5cm of drop should be good enough. I think my days of running 12cm of drop are numbered.

Frame came in a tad heavier than expected but this is with RD hanger:

Uncut fork:

Cut fork

I was originally planning on running a Zipp 130 Sprint stem with an STS cover but it seems the headset is slightly different than the Crux. The bearing sits a couple mm higher:

Upper bearing is alloy so it saves 6g:

Bearing cover is about a gram lighter than the Crux version:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

this is gunna be super nice mate

Basso Diamante super record EPS 12
BMC slr01 ultegra Di2

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

ChrisRideLog

by ChrisRideLog

Very nice paintjob, looking forward for the build!

Do you plan to keep the Crux as well?

gurk700

by gurk700

Top tube was the reason I sold mine :/ Couldn’t live with it. Otherwise awesome bike and what tarmac sl7 should have been imo

tonytourist

by tonytourist

9.5 cm of drop? Nice beach cruiser :|

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Campagnolo rotors look so good, they remind me of turbofan wheels

robeambro

by robeambro

RyanH wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:16 am
What stem did you go for in the end? I was convinced this frame "needs" a -6/-7 degree stem as it will run parallel to the top tube. Ultimately I decided against a -12 degree stem merely on fears of it looking awful, but this does not look bad at all (assuming yours is a -12?) - though I still find it a bit aesthetically disturbing.

Looking forward to seeing it built and hearing whether it does behave differently than the Crux.

kode54

by kode54

@RyanH…that was fast. Crux out, Aethos in!

I did see an Aethos at a Specialized store yesterday. The Aethos slope is more than the Crux, when looking at a 52cm in both. I’m not a fan either of too much slope and the Crux, I didn’t mind.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

RyanH

by RyanH

@robeambro I'll be running a -12 Sworks stem but in the pic that is a -10 pro vibe 7s stem. I looked at dozens of builds and while I initially wanted to get a 52 so I could run a -6, I just couldn't find any that looked right to me. I think an Enve stem would have looked the best (in a long length) but I think the -12 looks a little more aggressive on the Aethos:

@kode54

Yeah, I think the Crux looks better from the side. But, the 54 builds that I saw (and 56) of the Aethos began looking okay to me. The Crux was temporary anyway, but it reignited my desire to find the ultimate bike. I'm hoping the Aethos is a tad more compliant but just as confident inspiring on the downhill. I am confident enough that it'll be the best bike I've had to have spent full retail on the frameset.

Also, here's the 130mm Specialized stem with the J&L hollow bolts (stock on the right):

robeambro

by robeambro

@Ryan thanks. I agree that 54 is the first frame size that looks ok (at least I hope - delivery due today), I wish I could have bought a 58 though!

On another note, AFS rotors look so good on it, dang. I wonder what a full Campagnolo build in that colour would look like.

kode54

by kode54

When I tried the Crux at the bike shop, the standover was much higher than the Aethos in the same size. Like you, I may try one out just to see how it lives up to all the chatter.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

RyanH

by RyanH

I'm all for saving grams but the female side not being epoxied into the frame is beyond annoying to me:

RyanH

by RyanH

After a two week delay on FedEx's end getting 9270 to me (lesson: don't exceed the $2500 or whatever the threshold is), I finally got a chance to put the bike together.

I'm still waiting for wheels but this is the current weight including Topeak pump:

Once I get the Farsports, that should drop by 400 to 500g.

Here's the build shot:

I managed to get one good descent effort in and it reminds me of the Evo where the entire effort feels like I was only doing eight tenths despite nearly matching my PR (it would have matched my PR if I didn't turn off for the bridge at the very end):

grnrcr

by grnrcr

Maybe it’s optical illusion but those 9270 levers’ reach looks looong. Great build, as usual.

1llum4

by 1llum4

The reach on Shimano 12s lever has grown by 4.6mm compared to previous generation.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com