5.790kg Tarmac SL7 With DA9200

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Maddie

by Maddie

That's a great build for sure. If you want to chase a specific weight, then go ahead with titanium axles. But sooner or later, this will happen:

It's inevitable with titanium axles on Shimano pedals, both SPD and SPD-SL.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

da123

by da123

Maddie wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:04 pm
That's a great build for sure. If you want to chase a specific weight, then go ahead with titanium axles. But sooner or later, this will happen:

It's inevitable with titanium axles on Shimano pedals, both SPD and SPD-SL.
Many thanks Maddie. I'm a high mileage rider, so I don't think that's a route I want to go down for the sake of 40g. The aim with the build was always to achieve a light weight without compromising durability. Given that I switched to Dura Ace pedals because I couldn't stand the creaking and ticking issues I had with Time Xpro, it wouldn't make any sense to take a flier on ti axles. Cheers, Dave

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I'll be testing out the spindles in a controlled environment (WattBike on Zwift/ TR), so shall see how they hold up with 85kg / 1,800w lump.

But from initial observations, they're very well made, but shall obviously be prone to accelerated wear.

EDIT: Also recently been running Time XPro15's which have so far (350km) been perfect, and I highly rate them (famous last words).
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

da123

by da123

ryanw wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:41 pm
I'll be testing out the spindles in a controlled environment (WattBike on Zwift/ TR), so shall see how they hold up with 85kg / 1,800w lump.

But from initial observations, they're very well made, but shall obviously be prone to accelerated wear.

EDIT: Also recently been running Time XPro15's which have so far (350km) been perfect, and I highly rate them (famous last words).
Thanks Ryan. Will wait to hear with interest. Are the spindles the titanium planet ones, or something else?

Good luck with Time Xpro. I had numerous pairs of 15s and they all developed ticking / creaking issues after a period of time. And I'm much lighter and far more feeble in my wattage than you are!

mashiehood

by mashiehood

stunning weight, having owned that wheelset they are lovely to ride but in the back of my mind i was alway aprehensive about their longevity, so i sold them on.
Just finished a Tarmac SL7 (speed of light build) but my frame at 54cm is heaaavy! 860grams (with hander and bottle cage bolts) but my spec is not to far away from your so will be interesting to see the final weight. Will post it up later this week.

da123

by da123

mashiehood wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:14 pm
stunning weight, having owned that wheelset they are lovely to ride but in the back of my mind i was alway aprehensive about their longevity, so i sold them on.
Just finished a Tarmac SL7 (speed of light build) but my frame at 54cm is heaaavy! 860grams (with hander and bottle cage bolts) but my spec is not to far away from your so will be interesting to see the final weight. Will post it up later this week.
Cheers. I actually had the Speed of Light frame set on order, but I canned it after Spesh told me the paint job would add circa 150 to 200 grams to the frame weight. If yours is 860, it looks like the additional weight is actually more like 100g, so I guess that's a win! It's a lovely looking paint job though, so looking forward to seeing the build. The Extralite won't be daily drivers, will use my Rapide CLX set for that so hopefully longevity won't be an issue.

mashiehood

by mashiehood

deleted
Last edited by mashiehood on Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mashiehood

by mashiehood

Well here it is just finished it..... spec:

Frameset - SL7 Speed of Light 54cm
Dura Ace Di2 9200 140mm rotors F&R
SL7 stem 100mm with SL& Garmin Mount & SL7 seatpost
THM Clavicula SE chainset with Carbon Ti Chainrings
Berk Saddle
Look Keo Blade Ti Ceramic pedals
AX Lightness Ergo 4200 bars (40cm)
Supacaz Tape
Enve AR 4.5 wheelset with DT Swiss 180 Hubs on Enve tyres (27 front, 29 rear)
Second Wheels are Light Bicycle Falcon Pro 46 (flyweight) with Carbon Ti Hubs with Enve 25c tyres F&R

Weight with Enve Wheels - 6.8kg and 6.5kg with Light Bicycle Wheels

I am one of those off beings that are short (5'8) but with long legs (82 inseam) so sit bang in the middle of a 52/54 framesize. To date i have ridden small but most recently I have been riding a Moots Vamoots in a 54cm and it feels so much nicer than a smaller frame, hence the 54cm for the SL7. First ride tomorow.
Attachments
IMG_0787.jpg

da123

by da123

mashiehood wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:17 pm
Well here it is just finished it..... spec:

Frameset - SL7 Speed of Light 54cm
Dura Ace Di2 9200 140mm rotors F&R
SL7 stem 100mm with SL& Garmin Mount & SL7 seatpost
THM Clavicula SE chainset with Carbon Ti Chainrings
Berk Saddle
Look Keo Blade Ti Ceramic pedals
AX Lightness Ergo 4200 bars (40cm)
Supacaz Tape
Enve AR 4.5 wheelset with DT Swiss 180 Hubs on Enve tyres (27 front, 29 rear)
Second Wheels are Light Bicycle Falcon Pro 46 (flyweight) with Carbon Ti Hubs with Enve 25c tyres F&R

Weight with Enve Wheels - 6.8kg and 6.5kg with Light Bicycle Wheels

I am one of those off beings that are short (5'8) but with long legs (82 inseam) so sit bang in the middle of a 52/54 framesize. To date i have ridden small but most recently I have been riding a Moots Vamoots in a 54cm and it feels so much nicer than a smaller frame, hence the 54cm for the SL7. First ride tomorow.
Beautiful! It's giving me a bit of buyer regret about not sticking with the speed of light frame! I like the carbon / chameleon colour, but its not exactly exclusive. I think the SoL frames were limited to 250 worldwide?

What size chainrings are they by the way? Are they the new 12s Shimano ones (I've got some on order in a 50/34, the rings in my last pic are 46/33 X-AXS, which seem to shift okay, but you can't drop the front mech low enough to make the gap to the chain any smaller than about 5mm, which isn't ideal). Looking forward to seeing your ride review anyway - I've still not ridden mine 🙄 - waiting for some half decent weather...

mashiehood

by mashiehood

thanks - your frame is a lot lighter though
50-34 chainrings and they are a couple of years old - shift ok on the stand but the real world test will be tomorow.

da123

by da123

mashiehood wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:00 pm
50-34 chainrings and they are a couple of years old - shift ok on the stand but the real world test will be tomorow.
WIll be interested to hear about the shifting. Not sure if those rings are subject to the same issues as the X-AXS rings I have are (i.e. contrast between V1 and V2 rings). Carbon ti have been very good about replacing my V1 rings with the updated design however. Cheers, Dave

mashiehood

by mashiehood

da123 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:37 pm
mashiehood wrote:
WIll be interested to hear about the shifting. Not sure if those rings are subject to the same issues as the X-AXS rings I have are (i.e. contrast between V1 and V2 rings). Carbon ti have been very good about replacing my V1 rings with the updated design however. Cheers, Dave
two rides in and the shifting is spot on.... infact the whole groupset was a breeze to install, the bleed process took 5 minutes, DI2 process took 30 seconds....
Now if only Darimo can pull their finger out and create an inline post....

da123

by da123

mashiehood wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:24 pm
da123 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:37 pm
mashiehood wrote:
two rides in and the shifting is spot on.... infact the whole groupset was a breeze to install, the bleed process took 5 minutes, DI2 process took 30 seconds....
Now if only Darimo can pull their finger out and create an inline post....
Thanks for the feedback. I suspect the issues with the X-AXS rings are at least partially to do with SRAM's front derailleur being materially worse than Shimano's. I'm hoping to receive the Carbon-ti 9200 rings in the next couple of weeks.

How do you find the bike to ride more generally?

Carbon ti have been very good about replacing the V1 X-AXS rings. It does however mean I now have 2 sets of 46/33 carbon ti V2 rings, but no bike to put them on!

Darimo do things in their own time, so I wouldn't be holding my breath... The set back isn't massive, can you not achieve the correct position by using the set back post with a saddle that has longer rails like the Gelu E3 or F3 or the Schmolke TLO 65?

Aeo

by Aeo

Nice bike, but please put a zip tie around the rear derailleur cable? So much effort put into the bike but leave the cable hanging around like a wet noodle.
You can tell from my choice of words that this a pet peeve of mine :wink:
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

9200 comes with a proprietary cable guide for the rear mech. Maybe not installed since weighs 2g ;)
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com