5.790kg Tarmac SL7 With DA9200

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

da123

by da123

stevec1975 wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:26 pm
Hey da123, have you ridden the bike yet/ride report, interested on feedback on the tyre's, I got a set a while ago (as they save 119g over Conti), but saving them for Spring/Summertime
Hi Steve.

I haven't ridden the bike yet. I'm waiting for weather that isn't wet, freezing cold or both (probably Spring then). I have used the tires however, as I have a 28mm set on my gravel bike (in its 'winter bike' guise). They seem decent to me. Impossible to judge on rolling resistance vs Conti 5000s. They seem in the same ballpark and don't feel slow. Reasonably supple. No punctures yet, but I've not done that many miles on them. In summary, I've not come across anything that would say 'avoid', similarly, I'm not going to tell you they're a miracle solution that saves a shed load of weight vs Conti but has similar puncture / rolling resistance either as I haven't ridden them enough. I suspect they won't last anywhere near as long, but that's inevitable. They don't blow up that large, but as the 28s are only about 10g heavier than the 25s (I have both), there's no particular reason not to go bigger (apart from aero if your rims are narrow of course). Hope this is of (limited) help. Cheers, Dave

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

da123

by da123

ryanw wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:41 pm
They are indeed offering an exchange service for those with V1 AXS rings.

The serial numbers are tiny, but found on the inside of the rings.

They'll only exchange the big rings since small ones are fine.
I've been in touch with Marco at Carbon-ti and sent him the serial numbers. It does look like one set of rings was V1, although they're telling me the other is V2. I'm waiting to see if they'll agree to exhange, so fingers crossed. Thanks again for the info on this. As a matter of interest, what did they change on the V2 rings to resolve the shifting issues? I can't see any obvious differences between my two sets.

freepk

by freepk

Can you please describe advantages of CarbonTi chainrings vs Rotor NOQ or Praxis Buzz?

da123

by da123

freepk wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:11 pm
Can you please describe advantages of CarbonTi chainrings vs Rotor NOQ or Praxis Buzz?
From my perspective so far, the CarbonTi rings look much better and are slightly lighter, though not massively (23g lighter in my sample - 50/34 Praxis (130g) vs 46/33 CarbonTi (107g)).

Downsides:
- mine shifted badly, to the point that they were effectively unusable, however from what other posters have said, this may have been resolved with the V2. I have also only used them with SRAM AXS, which are more difficult to set up right IME
- they are a lot more expensive than Praxis

Never used Rotor.

freepk

by freepk

Thanks, for reply. I have to choose between KCNC K3, Praxis Buzz, Rotor NOQ and Stronglight CT2 in my build. Most important factor for me is shifting quality.
I think it will be most traditional Praxis Buzz option(wich not is best looking one).

da123

by da123

freepk wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:42 pm
Thanks, for reply. I have to choose between KCNC K3, Praxis Buzz, Rotor NOQ and Stronglight CT2 in my build. Most important factor for me is shifting quality.
I think it will be most traditional Praxis Buzz option(wich not is best looking one).
Praxis are certainly better shifting than carbon-ti and Extralite IME. Not tried KCNC.

da123

by da123

da123 wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:45 pm
ryanw wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:41 pm
They are indeed offering an exchange service for those with V1 AXS rings.

The serial numbers are tiny, but found on the inside of the rings.

They'll only exchange the big rings since small ones are fine.
I've been in touch with Marco at Carbon-ti and sent him the serial numbers. It does look like one set of rings was V1, although they're telling me the other is V2. I'm waiting to see if they'll agree to exhange, so fingers crossed. Thanks again for the info on this. As a matter of interest, what did they change on the V2 rings to resolve the shifting issues? I can't see any obvious differences between my two sets.
Carbon ti have been great and are exchanging the chainring. Didn't even have to send the old one back, just send them a picture of the old one sawn through. They told me they are going to release a specific set for Shimano 12s in the next few days too.

da123

by da123

Now with Carbon-ti chainrings, KMC X12 chain and SRAM 12s cassette. New weight is 5.850. Think that's probably it for the weight savings, can't think of any way to go much lighter without compromising function / durability (I'm not changing the pedals). I am going to put a 140mm rotor on the front so that should shave another 20g or so I guess. Still, pretty pleased with the weight overall.
90A3F098-CAA2-4007-B618-3AABFDEB47CD.jpeg
539569AD-040D-4929-806A-924A4B748C3B.jpeg
9184B976-ABC4-4192-BF8E-09BADD0DAEF7.jpeg
D6A32ACC-9696-4113-8987-1FF30D2C1444.jpeg

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Quality.
You can save 40g with the pedals, just done it myself.
Interested to know how you find the saddle. Looking at trying out a K3+ myself since I'm 85kg.

XTR chain is lighter than the X12 though? Also isn't gold...
Attachments
3A07BCEC-1ED7-4716-AA7F-8242F941B56A.jpeg
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

da123

by da123

ryanw wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:36 pm
Quality.
Interested to know how you find the saddle. Looking at trying out a K3+ myself since I'm 85kg.

Is that using titanium axles Ryan? If so I thought everyone recommended against it?

I'd not weighed the chains tbh. I put the KMC chain on because that model has been approved for use with SRAM 12s, whereas I don't know the position with the Shimano chain.

da123

by da123

ryanw wrote:
Quality.

On the saddle - I've used the E3 quite a bit previously as I have one on my Canyon Evo. The Gelu saddles have some of the best build quality of the lightweight saddles I've tried. Way better than Berk (which are poor IMO), better than Tune. Pretty much the same as Schmolke (as Gelu make the Schmolke saddles) and on a par with the Bontrager XXX I had. Flex wise, it is between a Lupina and the XXX. I find the shape comfortable, and the wider nose of the E3 makes it better when sitting on the nose. Part of the reason for choosing the E3 was the amount of adjustment on the rails. The K series have a lot less. Width wise it works for me, but I have pretty narrow sit bones, so I guess if you suited a wider saddle it probably wouldn't work.

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

ryanw wrote:
Quality.

How did you manage this? Could be great for my hill climb build!!
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

da123

by da123

da123 wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:02 pm
ryanw wrote:
Quality.

On the saddle - I've used the E3 quite a bit previously as I have one on my Canyon Evo. The Gelu saddles have some of the best build quality of the lightweight saddles I've tried. Way better than Berk (which are poor IMO), better than Tune. Pretty much the same as Schmolke (as Gelu make the Schmolke saddles) and on a par with the Bontrager XXX I had. Flex wise, it is between a Lupina and the XXX. I find the shape comfortable, and the wider nose of the E3 makes it better when sitting on the nose. Part of the reason for choosing the E3 was the amount of adjustment on the rails. The K series have a lot less. Width wise it works for me, but I have pretty narrow sit bones, so I guess if you suited a wider saddle it probably wouldn't work.
On Gelu - I'd recommend going direct to Anghel Ivanhof with any queries. He's super responsive and will customise to your requirements if you have specific needs. I contacted him about compatibility with the Trek Madone clamp, and he made a saddle with different sized rails to ensure it fitted properly for no extra charge.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

da123

by da123

CustomMetal wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:30 pm
ryanw wrote:
Quality.

How did you manage this? Could be great for my hill climb build!!
Would be very interested to know too 😀. I've seen the titanium planet spindles, but I thought the issue was that the pedals have loose hardened steel bearings that would sit directly on the spindle, meaning rapid spindle wear and possible seizing / play? I guess if you accept that you might be replacing spindles every few thousand km it may not be an issue? The titanium planet ones are only 45 euro a pair (though not sure what that might say about the quality 🤷‍♂️)