Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

alexn15 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:27 am
wheelsONfire wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:29 pm
There are revisions of these cages, i don't remember what mine was, but it's not gen 1. Yes, i use stock bolts and they have been of no issue.
My Hyper stem has damaged two forks and three handlebars. I have been working with watches, so i have some idea of how it is to use low torque.
I have never had any issues with working or using any cycling related components exept Extralite Hyper stem. Not that i recall anyway...
This comment is very timely. After a month and 660 kms, here's what happened to my Darimo bars:

Stem bolts were torqued under the 3.5nm max of the Darimo bars. Luckily my steerer tube is intact.

Not sure if this is just cosmetic or if the integrity of the bars is compromised. From plain visual inspection, it appears that the bite marks developed into cracks due to the length of the line.

I've sent an email to Darimo as I was about to order an IX2 stem. Not sure if this is covered by warranty.
I don't want to be an ass, but no-one sane should use these stems if they have expensive bars and or fork!
I've seen this so many times now from people who have sent me pictures from all over.
I think this is just the design of this stem and the small change they did years ago isn't going to help.
You simply have to live with these bite marks. No way Darimo is to blame for this. This is typical Hyper stem.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

welchy

by welchy

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:46 pm
alexn15 wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:
There are revisions of these cages, i don't remember what mine was, but it's not gen 1. Yes, i use stock bolts and they have been of no issue.
My Hyper stem has damaged two forks and three handlebars. I have been working with watches, so i have some idea of how it is to use low torque.
I have never had any issues with working or using any cycling related components exept Extralite Hyper stem. Not that i recall anyway...
This comment is very timely. After a month and 660 kms, here's what happened to my Darimo bars:

Stem bolts were torqued under the 3.5nm max of the Darimo bars. Luckily my steerer tube is intact.

Not sure if this is just cosmetic or if the integrity of the bars is compromised. From plain visual inspection, it appears that the bite marks developed into cracks due to the length of the line.

I've sent an email to Darimo as I was about to order an IX2 stem. Not sure if this is covered by warranty.
I don't want to be an ass, but no-one sane should use these stems if they have expensive bars and or fork!
I've seen this so many times now from people who have sent me pictures from all over.
I think this is just the design of this stem and the small change they did years ago isn't going to help.
You simply have to live with these bite marks. No way Darimo is to blame for this. This is typical Hyper stem.
Interested to know what stem you recommend that would be similar? I'm wanting a stem for my C64. Needs to be 120MM and -12, I was any moment going to buy an Extralite but you've scared me! From the look I'm struggling to find a light stem that suits traditional round tube profiles and isn't garish, any advice.

And.... beautiful Festka... So classy man.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

welchy wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:30 am
wheelsONfire wrote:
alexn15 wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:

Interested to know what stem you recommend that would be similar? I'm wanting a stem for my C64. Needs to be 120MM and -12, I was any moment going to buy an Extralite but you've scared me! From the look I'm struggling to find a light stem that suits traditional round tube profiles and isn't garish, any advice.

You could buy a Thomson X2 -10, it's not light, but it will not damage any bar or steerer tube no matter if you push hard on the handlebar or bunny jump over obstacles. Personally i will never put a light weight component on a must have list if it will damage other components.
I have honestly never had anything that has given me such headache as Hyper stem. If others like it, fine, but they should know that they risk ending up with a damaged handlebar and steerer tube.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

alexn15

by alexn15

Too bad the Extralite Hyperstem was the best value weight weenie stem priced in between Deda and Darimo.

I proceeded to order a Darimo X2 to replace the Hyperstem. I'm still using the bars on short rides to observe if the damage is only cosmetic. If it is a crack I'm sure that it will show up in a few weeks due to our terrible road conditions.

I also ordered Mt. Zoom stem and seatpost. Weight of the 120mm stem is 104g which is not bad. Their products are also cheap.

sylvain70

by sylvain70

Wow the crack on the darimo Handelbar is scarry. It is quite easy to make a strong composite tube, the issue is allways the interfaces :(

txomin

by txomin

welchy wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:
alexn15 wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:

New Darimo stem