Crank: Raceface Next SL (170mm/32T)
Brakes: SRAM Level TLM
Cassette: SRAM XX1 11-42
Chain: SRAM XX1
Wheel Set: Roval Control Alloy
Tires: Specialized Renegade 2.3
Saddle: Specialized Power Expert 143
Cage: Arundell Mandible
Pedals: Shimano XTR PD-M9100, Titanium Spindle.
Garmin Mount: ShapeWays 3D Printed Garmin/GoPro

Pics:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Needs dropper post. I'm not joking. You'll thank me. If you're concerned about weight stick to only 125mm of drop.
Also, is that stem 70 or 80 mm? Try 60. Some things have changed in XC over the last 6 years and they were a very long time coming.

kppolich

by kppolich

80mm stem, no need or desire for a dropper as it's my 3rd bike and there is rarely a downhill section or obstacle here in Milwaukee that requires a dropper.

rothwem

by rothwem

Lelandjt wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:24 pm
Needs dropper post. I'm not joking. You'll thank me. If you're concerned about weight stick to only 125mm of drop.
Also, is that stem 70 or 80 mm? Try 60. Some things have changed in XC over the last 6 years and they were a very long time coming.
An 80mm stem with proper fit is way better than a 60mm stem that fits poorly.

As for the dropper necessity, I'm going to chalk that up to a "depends on the track". Its not much use on trails that have really short hills, and a carbon post does a better job with damping out roots.

Tallboy

by Tallboy

Really nice! Have you ridden it much yet?
Any changes planned
?
"I want to absorb all of your pop culture"

kppolich

by kppolich

I have a handful of rides on it so far and it's been great. Gearing has been used but not the full range as things are pretty flat around here. I've been toying with bar rotation and grip width a bit as I'm usually a full on roadie and CX person so the flat bars are taking some getting used to with hand (palm) positions and tilt.

Likely go for some Fast Trak tires once these are ready to be repleced, but for now I can't complain.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

rothwem wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:46 pm
Lelandjt wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:24 pm
An 80mm stem with proper fit is way better than a 60mm stem that fits poorly.

As for the dropper necessity, I'm going to chalk that up to a "depends on the track". Its not much use on trails that have really short hills, and a carbon post does a better job with damping out roots.
Disagree. A dropper makes every corner faster and a bike that handles nicely is better than one that has a long reach. If a 60mm stem feels too scrunched you need a bigger frame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tallboy

by Tallboy

Ignore them! It looks sick and I'd ride it like that!
I ride a slightly longer stem and rigid post on my xc/ trail hardtail and I haven't died yet, you'll be fine. I found droppers another thing to think about which as an occasional mtber I need to reduce so I can focus on line choice, gearing etc.
Ride it as is and if you get chance try a dropper in future maybe. There seem to be lots of good tricks on here for quickly removing and refitting droppers now
"I want to absorb all of your pop culture"