Non-weenie Roberts Max

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

I was a fan of Roberts circa 25yrs ago when I was MTBing on the South Downs back in England. Earlier this year I picked up a Roberts Max road frameset from a connection in New Zealand.

Built in 1992, it's had a life already. Apparently the drive side chain stay has been replaced and it looks like the last paint job was a rattle can job, but it was fairly well done, even if does need re-doing - which I plan to, in the same colour, soon (I already have the replacement decals ready to go).

I originally had it built as intended with a quill stem on the threaded 1" headset and fork, but I changed the headset for an InniCycle converter, so it's now built with a 1-1/8" threadless setup. First pic shows the Mavic 8spd groupset build with quill stem, second pic is the current 10spd SRAM Red with 2nd gen eeBrakes. I've had to retire the Corima wheels due to wear on the rear, so it's currently running a set of 28mm Boyd clinchers.

Saddle is an original Flite Evolution, and the seatpost is a super-rare (and quite lovely) Mavic 330. Otherwise it's just parts bin stuff.

It's ratty, but I kinda love that about it. The Max ride is anavoidably addictive...

Weight? I daren't check...

dcj10

by dcj10

Chas Roberts frames were viewed with reverence back when I joined my first cycling club in 1976. They still are. Drop dead gorgeous colour co-ordination on this bike.
Main ride Aethos Expert 2021 https://weightweenies.starbike.com/for ... 0&t=169445
First reserve Pegoretti steel 2012 Ciavete paint viewtopic.php?f=10&t=168091

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

The Corimas were starting to show their age, so I found a set of unused Reynolds Aero46 tubs going for a good price and snapped them up:

Jimbo1983

by Jimbo1983

I think this is my favourite bike. That purple is just perfect.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Jimbo1983 wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:59 pm
I think this is my favourite bike. That purple is just perfect.
Well, hopefully that still holds true because...
RichTheRoadie wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:00 am
...it looks like the last paint job was a rattle can job, but it was fairly well done, even if does need re-doing - which I plan to, in the same colour, soon (I already have the replacement decals ready to go).
... I finally just put ^^ that plan into action...!

I'm yet to get the final polish done and see it in the sunlight because we've hit a spell of crappy weather here in Sydney (I know, "join the club" - hope everyone in Europe is ok after the recent storms there!), but here's a sneak peek - it's very slightly darker and more metallic and is also still only a rattle can job, but at least it has a good few layers of clear coat this time:

Image Image

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

And here's the finished article:

Better pics once the sun is out...

westham7

by westham7

Thats a beautiful bike enjoy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BRad704

by BRad704

I didn't hate the look of that quill stem, but the Innicycle converter gives it the extra 'modern' touch to make you question just how old the frame is. Very nice!

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

More modernisation and a bit of weight saving in the form of Red22 levers and front mech, a new SMP saddle (the flatter VT20) with white tape to match, a Thomson carbon post (stolen from my other bike which got a Thomson Ti upgrade!) and Zipp carbon bars that were in my spares bin.

The cranks are now classic-style Middleburn to match the English heritage of the frame:

I'll eventually change the rear mech too, but I like the style of the old one and it works perfectly with the 11spd setup so there's no hurry.

Pumablk

by Pumablk

That is such a good looking color and bike. Very cool.

demeaux

by demeaux

Purple and tan walls looks great.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com