Factor O2 Disc

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

After a false start with and O2 VAM, I have now completed the build on an O2 Disc.
Here are a few photos and some notes. Frame is 950 grams, fork is 350 cut.
I like the colour, I prefer raw carbon to anything, but this is quite pleasing. Happens to be nearly the identical colour to the bike I raced as a junior - a Bob Jackson Mesina from Leeds UK. A little twang of nastalgia for me.
I do think the wheels (LightBicycle WR50 Falcon Pro Flyweight, Carbon Ti, CXray, Sprint drive side rear) are a bit too deep for best aesthetics on this frame, but it's hard to argue against 50's. And at 1350 grams there is no real weight penalty. The wheel alone doesn’t really seem that deep until the tire goes on and then you get a wall of black. I wonder if putting tan wall tires on would break up some of that perceived depth. I tend to reserve tan walls for all black bikes but tan might look really good here. Thoughts?

Speaking of tires, I have a 30mm on the back with WAM at 33mm with loads of clearance.

Front clearance with a 28mm (31.3mm WAM). A bit less than the rear, but still plenty.
With regard to the tires, I had some tubeless Corsa 28mm on order but reconsidered. I think I want to be able to play around with different tires and sizes. And in summer here flats are very rare. Tubes are Aerothan 51gram. I used them in Europe this summer and was very impressed. I may end up on tubeless, but I want to nail down exactly what size and what tire I want beforehand.

Even though they are specifically designed to suit the Black Inc barstem, the nicely profiled spacers mate extremely well with the Bontrager XXX barstem. Seeing these close up photos really highlights the very high quality fit and finish of this frame. Pretty much flawless.

I won’t ride without flashing lights front and back, but I hate big sloppy attachments. Solution in the front was Bontrager Blendr Garmin mount with a modified Giant brand light dock. Some dremeling was required to get the Giant mount to mate with the Bontrager Blendr. This allows me to use Giants very good and very small Recon HL100.
Note how the shrink-wrapped rear brake hose and Di2 wire do not contact the mount. This took some careful work. Contact could mean abrasion every time the bar is moved and result in damage in the long term. I’ve seen stem bolts cut through brake cable housing.

With Garmin and light attached

For the back I use the Giant saddle rail mount and the Recon TL100. No saddle bags going on this machine. (Seatpost is Roval Alpinist)

Bad photo here but what I am trying to show is the exposed rim edge (bottom of photo is clearer). The external measure on the front rim is 32.6mm. I think basic gravel, like you might find passing through a construction zone, could do some damage. You don’t have to sink in far to have gravel contact that exposed rim edge. I might have to run 30mm up front as well – aero be damned. What do you guys think about this one?

Nice little detail on the downtube. (Chain isn't rusty. Weird effect in the photo.)

I reported on the ride in my O2 VAM review. This is a very good bike. It does everything well. It’s early days yet and I have not had it out on the new wheels – hopefully this weekend. With roads in Fall and Winter condition, I won’t have a real opportunity to push this bike to it’s limit until next Spring, but I don’t expect any surprises.

Sorry I don’t have a finished weight. My scale only goes up to 5 kg. My guess is low 7 range. The seat and cassette are both around 300 grams. Those are two places where weight could be saved. I’d buy a Dura Ace cassette if someone could guarantee me that it would be silent. Until then it’s Ultegra. As for the saddle, it stays until my ass says otherwise.

The bike is basically complete. Waiting for some shorter black Vittoria valve extensions.
Last edited by Mr.Gib on Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MBak2034

by MBak2034

Incredible colour IMO Mr Gib - is the Ceramicspeed headset standard or did you have to pay extra for that?

corky

by corky

Like it, wall of black wheels looks fine to me...... hate the disc rotors, but not really much to mean about here. Just enjoy it.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

MBak2034 wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:26 am
Incredible colour IMO Mr Gib - is the Ceramicspeed headset standard or did you have to pay extra for that?
Normally, the regular O2 does not come with the Ceramic Speed headset bearings (or Ceramic Speed BB). However I did start with the VAM version so I simply retained those parts. I consider it my "pound of flesh" for the hassle of having to switch bikes.
corky wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:44 am
Like it, wall of black wheels looks fine to me...... hate the disc rotors, but not really much to mean about here. Just enjoy it.
What do you mean about hating the disc rotors? Specific to the XTR aesthetics, or just the fact that the bike has discs at all? If it is an XTR thing, tell me what you like better. I have no particular love of the look of the XTR, and one of them came warped (seriously WTF!). OTOH if it is just general dislike of how discs look, I love a good "bloodfest" so have at it. :D
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

dcj10

by dcj10

Mr.Gib wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:43 am
The wheel alone doesn’t really seem that deep until the tire goes on and then you get a wall of black. I wonder if putting tan wall tires on would break up some of that perceived depth. I tend to reserve tan walls for all black bikes but tan might look really good here. Thoughts?

This is an important discussion point you've opened! :thumbup:
Tan all the way with this colour blue and those wheels. Many will disagree, but they're wrong :wink:

Not run of the mill spec on this build. Very nice.
Main ride Aethos Expert 2021 https://weightweenies.starbike.com/for ... 0&t=169445
First reserve Pegoretti steel 2012 Ciavete paint viewtopic.php?f=10&t=168091

iamraymond

by iamraymond

Beautiful build and frame colour. I feel tan walls would be too clashy. It's too bad Vittoria stopped making the anthracite grey Corsas since those go quite well with blue bikes IMO.

I'm surprised you moved on from SQ Lab saddles. Your positive posts about them led me to try the 612 for myself and now I have 612s on all my bikes.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

dcj10 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:32 pm
This is an important discussion point you've opened! :thumbup:
Tan all the way with this colour blue and those wheels. Many will disagree, but they're wrong :wink:
I love posts like this.

I nearly pulled the trigger on a supply of the tan walled clinchers but ultimately I want to run tubeless. It's bad enough I have to carry a f**king 6mm allen key in my pocket, tubeless means I can leave the inner tube and arguably the allen key at home.
iamraymond wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:42 pm
I feel tan walls would be too clashy.
Apparently you're wrong. :P
iamraymond wrote:
I'm surprised you moved on from SQ Lab saddles. Your positive posts about them led me to try the 612 for myself and now I have 612s on all my bikes.
It's complicated. Up until about a year ago I was doing super long training rides and required a slightly softer padding so I switched to 610 Ergolux. I still have them on some of my other bikes. Recently, I had a minor irritation and just installed an old Pro saddle figuring the different shape would allow me to continue riding without taking a break. My ass has been feeling pretty good (I'm sure you're glad to know) so I have just left the Pro in place. It's has been good on the sitbones but a bit tougher on the perineum so the SQ Lab will likely see action again soon. Have you checked out the new 612R?

iamraymond

by iamraymond

Yes I was tempted by the weight of that model (same as my former saddle, sworks romin evo) but after watching their YouTube video on the two models I felt the normal 612 was for me since I don’t have a very aggressive saddle bar drop on my bikes. I’m all about the comfort.

Thanks for pointing me to these saddles. They are a game changer in my mind. I don’t know if you experienced the same, but I felt a noticeable increase in glute activation after switching. I consciously focus on getting my glutes to fire while riding, but for some reason with the 612 it just happens naturally.

dcj10

by dcj10

Mr.Gib wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:18 am
iamraymond wrote:
I am wrong! Having re-read your post and saw you mentioned riding gravel? There's nothing worse than seeing brand new tan wall tyres covered in dust and horse :shock: after only one ride. Clashy it would be. Heartbreak.
So that being the case, its black all the way :wink:

I'm going to look into getting a Giant rear light mount. I've never seen that arrangement before. Excellent idea, thankyou.
Main ride Aethos Expert 2021 https://weightweenies.starbike.com/for ... 0&t=169445

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

iamraymond wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:24 am
Yes I was tempted by the weight of that model (same as my former saddle, sworks romin evo) but after watching their YouTube video on the two models I felt the normal 612 was for me since I don’t have a very aggressive saddle bar drop on my bikes. I’m all about the comfort.

Thanks for pointing me to these saddles. They are a game changer in my mind. I don’t know if you experienced the same, but I felt a noticeable increase in glute activation after switching. I consciously focus on getting my glutes to fire while riding, but for some reason with the 612 it just happens naturally.
I maintain that anyone that is having difficulty finding "their" saddle must try SQ Lab before giving up. They may not be for everyone, but for many, particularely those with numbness issues, and even those that can't make SMP work for them, SQ Lab can save the sport for them. Although I never had numbness, I wanted a saddle that provided maximum distribution of pressure (to deal with pointy, assymetric sitbones) while still giving relief in the center. SQ Lab is the king of satisfying this performance requirement. I find with all my SQ Lab saddles that they are equally good in all postition from sitting upright to full aero mode on the nose. I change my position regularely due to spinal issues and the SQ Lab saddle accomodates this nicely.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

dcj10 wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:27 pm
Mr.Gib wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:18 am
iamraymond wrote:
I am wrong! Having re-read your post and saw you mentioned riding gravel? There's nothing worse than seeing brand new tan wall tyres covered in dust and horse :shock: after only one ride. Clashy it would be. Heartbreak.
So that being the case, its black all the way :wink:

I'm going to look into getting a Giant rear light mount. I've never seen that arrangement before. Excellent idea, thankyou.
The gravel bit was only about my worry of the exposed rim should I encounter road construction. This bike will never see gravel intentionally. And I have no problem with tan wall getting messed up. Rode endless Strada Bianchi on Corsa tan walls and thought the soiled tires were status symbol - that is fairly prestigious dirt don't you know!

The Giant brand lights are decent quality and fair value and give lots of mounting options. If you have a Giant store near you they should have a good selection of light options. As well I use their bigger front lights on my travel bike and they have also been good.

dcj10

by dcj10

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:30 pm
The Giant brand lights are decent quality and fair value and give lots of mounting options. If you have a Giant store near you they should have a good selection of light options. As well I use their bigger front lights on my travel bike and they have also been good.
Duly noted, thanks for the info :thumbup:

Vadd

by Vadd

The color is just brilliant, wouldn't trade it for the bare carbon, but it's me.

I would love to submit your weight to my weight weenies listings website if you don't mind. Could you share the size of your frameset?
Kona Rove 2021
Poison Chinin 2020

https://www.buildyourbike.co

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Vadd wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:00 pm
The color is just brilliant, wouldn't trade it for the bare carbon, but it's me.

I would love to submit your weight to my weight weenies listings website if you don't mind. Could you share the size of your frameset?
Sorry for the slow reply, traveling and not checking WW's. Of course you are welcome to any info, photos etc. Size is 56.