Ryan's Not a Gravel Bike (Crux 2022)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

RyanH

by RyanH

More stuff arrived today:

Fat

A little less fat

Anyone think H11 carbon brake levers will fit?

Calipers

The chain that won't fit on the BOR ring:

Holy mother of God

Thinking this carrier is a bit over engineered:

Surprisingly these are less than expected

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DHG01

by DHG01

I really like these builds. Very impressive offer from Specialized.

Reading through this thread and another on ww I found out that the Aetheos has 38 mm clearance. I am not sure if it would withstand the rougher exposure to offrode as the Crux. I kind of rather the Aetheos geometry but Crux's robustness - how would you feel off-roading the Aetheos or compare both?

Yoln

by Yoln

Somebody needs to do something about these cassettes!!
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

RyanH

by RyanH

Yoln wrote:Somebody needs to do something about these cassettes!!
I reached out to Edco and they said they're reviewing it. For those that don't know, they make several monobloc Campy 12s cassettes that weigh around 180-200g which presents a big weight savings over Campy's offerings.

DHG01 wrote:I really like these builds. Very impressive offer from Specialized.

Reading through this thread and another on ww I found out that the Aetheos has 38 mm clearance. I am not sure if it would withstand the rougher exposure to offrode as the Crux. I kind of rather the Aetheos geometry but Crux's robustness - how would you feel off-roading the Aetheos or compare both?
I haven't seen anyone claim that much clearance, I did see a post claiming it could clear 36mm gravel kings. I'd really like picture proof.

I think that for true gravel riding, 32-36mm is just fine and if you need something bigger you're probably on terrain better suited for a mtb. I'm using the crux as a platform to test a road plus build which is normally 650bx42 and intended for the pavement. If I like this, then that'll be the direction I'll go with my custom English build. A true road plus bike designed for 650b has very low trail, I think in the low 30s to make it feel fast and responsive.

With that being said, it depends on what your intent is but if you primarily want to keep it to terrain that is better suited for a drop bar bike than a mountain bike and want to stay in 700c wheel size then I think an Aethos would be high on my list if it can clear 36mm actual tires.

@

DHG01

by DHG01

RyanH wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:00 pm

I haven't seen anyone claim that much clearance, I did see a post claiming it could clear 36mm gravel kings. I'd really like picture proof.

I think that for true gravel riding, 32-36mm is just fine and if you need something bigger you're probably on terrain better suited for a mtb. I'm using the crux as a platform to test a road plus build which is normally 650bx42 and intended for the pavement. If I like this, then that'll be the direction I'll go with my custom English build. A true road plus bike designed for 650b has very low trail, I think in the low 30s to make it feel fast and responsive.

With that being said, it depends on what your intent is but if you primarily want to keep it to terrain that is better suited for a drop bar bike than a mountain bike and want to stay in 700c wheel size then I think an Aethos would be high on my list if it can clear 36mm actual tires.

@
I actually do ride 32-36 mm - I still ride tubulars...
My current ride is BMC CX01 and canti steel.

Need to find out true clearance of the Aetheos; just because of the shorter top and headtube; otherwise the Crux makes a spectacular gravel bike. Looking forward to this...and the English that may follow.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Hey Ryan... you going SS on the english build ?
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

RyanH

by RyanH

spdntrxi wrote:Hey Ryan... you going SS on the english build ?
Probably although I want a pretty paint job so maybe not.

RyanH

by RyanH

Not a terrible Sunday afternoon

eurperg

by eurperg

RyanH wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:29 am

Anyone think H11 carbon brake levers will fit?
The levers look almost identical, but not completely. You be the first one to try?

GK's look great with Shamals. I just disline how steering feels with GK slicks unless they are used at pressures that are not optimal for gravel. But for mostly asphalt they're great at higher pressure.

How do you find the initial friction level on the Ekar drivetrain?

evildead

by evildead

RyanH wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:25 am
Not a terrible Sunday afternoon

Looks great, congrats!

Was wondering:

- what chainring size are you using and how's the clearance?
- what parts did you use for the headset? I've never built a frame before and I'm not sure what would be compatible with the Crux frameset;
- did you happen to measure the actual weight of the Shamal?

Looking forward to your feedback riding it!

RyanH

by RyanH

@evildead

I have a 40T on there now but I have a 44T arriving tomorrow. Plenty of clearance with the 40T, the 44T will be close.

Crux comes with a headset so no need to worry about that.

And yeah, Shamal came in at 1607g....super fat, but they are probably the prettiest wheels I've seen.

The GK tires mounted up super easy, took less than 2 minutes per rim. With that being the case, it was a challenge to get them to bead up even with a compressor.

Gravel Kings measured out to 36mm

evildead

by evildead

Thanks and agreed on the Shamals... they look spectacular!

One more thing: did you have to use adapters to mount the brake calipers on the frame?

RyanH

by RyanH

None were needed for the rear but for the front on Ekar one was needed since Ekar ships with what is effectively two rear calipers. For a 160mm rotor I had to set the adapter to the 140mm setting.

RyanH

by RyanH

eurperg wrote:
GK's look great with Shamals. I just disline how steering feels with GK slicks unless they are used at pressures that are not optimal for gravel. But for mostly asphalt they're great at higher pressure.

How do you find the initial friction level on the Ekar drivetrain?
Interesting link, I'm hoping to get out for a ride today if it dries out and will test how it feels.

Regarding drive train friction, I was in a rush last night to get it working to ride around the block so I didn't pay as much attention as I wanted to to that. I'll revisit that later today.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

liketoride

by liketoride

Great looking bike Ryan, what is the weight of the build?