Ryan's Not a Gravel Bike (Crux 2022)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

gSporco

by gSporco

RyanH wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:16 am
My priorities are brake feel. I think Campy offers a braking package that feels better than rim brake whereas the others just feel on par to good rim braking. After that it's ergonomics and shifting and aesthetics.

Shimano is like a Lexus. It works flawlessly and does its job perfectly but it's just not sexy to me. Most of that has to do with my limited experience with its braking and semi metallic pads. Was never a fan and those experiences on 9170 kept me on rim brakes. SRAM was even worse as there were a few demo bikes I tried that I felt were worse than my rim brake setup. The latest stuff seems to be a lot better but their shifting is still subpar compared to campy and Shimano.

I've put up with etap for way too long solely due to brake feel on the rim brake setup I have.
Very interesting, I have yet to try Campy.. but tour assessment on Shimano and Sram seem spot on based on my experiences. Thanks for your insights
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

reedplayer

by reedplayer

great build!
imo the current crux is the nicest bike, specialized ever produced. i would use it as gravel bike as well as a road bike (-meanwhile, after-no fault of my own-a heavy accident with a car, and car drivers behaving increasingly ruthless, here, in germany, even more as a gravel bike!)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gorkypl

by gorkypl

Hi Ryan,

how do you find handling of Shamals with 36mm tyres - mostly in the aero department? I am currently debating between carbon Shamals and custom wheels built around LB rims (and even started a separate thread here: viewtopic.php?f=113&t=168852)
Any insights would be greatly appreciated :)

Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s
Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

kode54

by kode54

reedplayer wrote:great build!
imo the current crux is the nicest bike, specialized ever produced. i would use it as gravel bike as well as a road bike (-meanwhile, after-no fault of my own-a heavy accident with a car, and car drivers behaving increasingly ruthless, here, in germany, even more as a gravel bike!)
Drivers are getting more reckless these past few months. It’ll probably get worse when it warms up and longer days unfortunately.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

RyanH

by RyanH

@gorkypl I found that when I ran the 36mm GK tires at a firm pressure (50 psi iirc) they felt very fast. I did a fast group ride and didn't feel like I was handicapped on it. Now, if you run the tires at comfort psi then you'll feel a lot slower. In the wind by myself, I'm not sure but I didn't notice them like I do when I ride my box section Ambrosio Nemesis wheels.

BikeSwan

by BikeSwan

RyanH wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:30 am
So...Sea Sucker is a tad tricky with Through Axles, particularly when you're using the Komodo with 430 chainstays, as in I'm not sure I want to do that again and may choose the rim braked bike for the next ride that requires me to drive:

I did have a pretty good day on the Crux though in the Santa Monica mountains. I PR'd every descent that I didn't stand around in the segment by a decent margin. While I can't say for certain I hit all those full gas in the past, I know that I've been more timid descending this year after having spent most of the last year on Zwift, so notching 29th out of 9k on one descent indicates that this bike is helping boost my confidence.
Sweet 996 that. Looks like it's set up well too . . . especially with a sea sucker and a kick ass bike on the roof. Glad the bike is confidence inspiring. Regardless of weight or hard metrics, how a bike makes you feel is the most important thing. Nice!
Landyachtz 1146 Ti Custom
Argon 18 Dark Matter
YT Izzo Pro Race 29

. . . and a 500lb KTM :thumbup:

joeminglin

by joeminglin

No issues with the Wolf Tooth and Ekar chain?

joeminglin

by joeminglin

Nevermind...saw the answer of the ekar thread

stanvr

by stanvr

Hi Ryan, do you still have this bike and if so, do you still ride it, like it? I got a Crux incoming soon and it will likely go ( a little bit) in the direction yours is.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

I bought it from Ryan @stanvr
As it currently sits:

stanvr

by stanvr

Looks nice! Little more gravel focussed!