Wilier Triestina '97 Easton Elite

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

alx13nrv

by alx13nrv

Hi ! I live in France and my new bike is this 61cm Wilier made from 7005 Easton Elite. I believe it is from 1997 as it is the exact same frame Marco Pantani rode that year. I read that it is, to this day, displayed in Easton HQ. I did not strip the frame to weigh it but i believe it is around 1kg. It is 63cm C-T, and I'm 192cm.

All the parts are the same as I bought it, with DA 7700 group, aside the seat post and saddle I changed for used Tune parts; the original Dura Ace seatpost was unbonded, and the saddle was a cheap and uncomfortable SMP...

I plan on changing the wheels, and change the 24 year old carbon Mizuno and switch to a threadless fork and headset, so, Columbus Minimal 1" and FSA Orbit.
I don't like the brifters so I'm thinking of downtube levers.

The groupset works fine, but it is very scratched, so maybe a good host for some tuning and tasty drillium?
I don't have a big budget, so I need to set priorities. I plan to keep using it to go to work, and I carry it in the stairs twice a day : I live on the 7th floor without elevator.

It is 8.2kg now, I think I can go to 6.8kg with clinchers without changing the groupset. Any advice is good to know in what order i should tackle this project, month by month.

I'm still trying to get a good fit on this bike and the position on the bars is still a bit aggressive for riding in traffic.

Thanks for reading :)
Attachments
20210905_165509.jpg

alx13nrv

by alx13nrv

So... the connecting pin of the seatpost failed and broke;
the rear bolt went all the way through, and the speedneedle saddle fell on the road and was run over by the car following me.

I'm amazed at the resistance of saddle, even though it did break, it doesn't look like it's beyond repair.

I opened a ticket with tune, and I hope they will help me fix this mess. But i have a feeling the connecting pin could be replaced by the Schmolke one ?
https://r2-bike.com/SCHMOLKE-Spare-Part ... O-Seatpost
I mesured the pin, diameter is 7.94mm.

Does anyone know the diameter of a Schmolke pin ? Maybe i can just buy that if tune doesnt answer... And repair the saddle myself too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Yoln

by Yoln

What a beauty!

I wouldn't personally change the fork, and I would have stayed with an alloy/titanium seatpost. But that's just me.

I absolutely love the color combo, and unless you repaint the fork I am afraid it will ruin the bike
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

alx13nrv

by alx13nrv

Thank you !

Regarding the fork, I think I want a threadless stem, and doing so might help me lower the bike weight by more than 500g, while offering a softer ride. Mizuno fork is 560g, and the Columbus minimal is 311g. An Extralite stem is 90g and the Itm Goccia stem is 315g. With modern stem I could go with carbon bars too, and gain some more weight in front.

The pavé segments are just nasty with the Mizuno fork, and I don't know if I can trust 25 year old carbon for very long. I see cracks in the paint where the aluminium dropout is glued to the carbon, I don't like it very much... and that bike has been sold to me by someone that wanted it to be ridden. I think it deserves nice efficient parts, not collector stuff. It could get a paintjob, but I don't plan on getting rid of the fork.

Regarding the seatpost and saddle problem ;
Tune's warranty takes care of and replaces the seat post beam, but not the saddle; they offered crash replacement but I will have to wait. I may just look for another used one.