Daily rider built 14 years ago (4,964g)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ephedyn

by ephedyn

Reviving my 9 year old account out of nostalgia. I built this bike from 2007-2009 during high school, but had to quit when I went to college.

It has remained unchanged for the last 12 years, except for a SRAM Red upgrade after a tuning mishap on my Campy Record rear derailleur that got it sucked into the wheel; a Mcfk seatpost, and occasional maintenance. I had intended the setup to be pragmatic: 45mm+ rims, 2x9 or 2x10 speed, standard replacement cycle on all parts. Hopefully this gives people some color about the reliability of some vendors in this domain (AX-lightness, Extralite, Mcfk, Schmolke, Parlee, Tune, BTP) and the longevity of typical tuning strategies.

Build

Some wisdoms from over the years below.

DO's
- Use nylon bottle cage bolts. Never had one break or come loose, ever.
- Alternate tires/chainrings/sprocket/brake pads for uneven wear.
- I would heavily tune the drivetrain again if I had to build a bike today. I was skeptical about the longevity of the carbon plates/pulleys and all the aluminium components back then, but I've never had any issues.
- I've also never had an aluminium bolt break on me.
- The AX saddle actually aged way better over the years compared to anything I've had with upholstery. I expected the rails to break eventually, but somehow they've lasted all these years. I would get a Phoenix again.
- Anything that can be TiN-coated should be TiN-coated. My M2Racer quick releases still look amazing after 15+ years. A shame they went out of business.

SHOULD'VEs
- I would've invested in better aerodynamics and weight distribution once I got past around the 5.5kg mark (roughly before I started tuning). The heft of the ride felt essentially indistinguishable since the original build.
- I should've used clinchers. There were many times I was too lazy to take out the bike because I didn't want to pump the tubulars, which really detracted from the daily rideability.
- Electric shifters and hydraulic disk brakes for road bikes didn't exist back then, though I'd definitely use them today. I had the chance to ride a 8~ kg bike with both for a long Mallorca trip and it was (sadly) a better ride overall despite the weight differential and 1/2 the price tag.
- I lost a lot of daily rideability because of the Aerolites. The pedals themselves are great once you're clipped and are surprisingly durable, but the cleats are quite hard to walk in. Some months I even wished I had platforms but was too busy to get another pair.

MAYBE NOTs
- The shifting has always worked perfectly with Campagnolo front, SRAM rear and Shimano cog. I picked the combination at the time for the best combined weight and appearance (I preferred the aesthetics of a tuned Campy Record front than a Dura-Ace or Red) and there were other forum members who reported the combination working. But when you keep a bike around for 12 years, it becomes one of those things that's hard to upgrade or replace because you might break the fragile harmony.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nicke

by Nicke

Lovely build and thank you for the advice!

tonytourist

by tonytourist

I remember one of your posts from back in the day, your mom threw away some of your stuff! :(
Nice to know you finished it and have been putting some miles on the build :thumbup:

shotgun1

by shotgun1

Great tips and thanks for sharing! I echo similart experience with using Clinchers, as well as working with better cleats (I'm using Time, which is less practical than my other steeds on Look). I always have second thoughts using the bike.
2021 Giant TCR Advanced SL0 Disc 6.8kg
2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Disc 7.9kg
2017 Festka Scalatore 5.375kg

Original account [shotgun]: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=10594

eurostar

by eurostar

I love this thread so much! Very inspirational. So....where can I get a TiN coating service near London??

eurostar

by eurostar

Sounds like you shed a considerable amount with tuning. Any advice on which parts are most tuneable?

ephedyn

by ephedyn

Thanks for the kudos.
eurostar wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:22 am
Sounds like you shed a considerable amount with tuning. Any advice on which parts are most tuneable?
The "meta-strategy" has probably changed a bit since I haven't done an electric drivetrain, disk build and it varies with your skill and budget. e.g. I'm fairly patient and experienced with sanding but not dexterous with the dremel. Assuming skill isn't a problem: If you're budget-constrained, sorting by marginal grams saved/$ was how I did it. If you're somewhat elastic with your budget, then marginal grams saved/time is the way to go and should be something like this (in descending order) loosely:

- Bottle cage bolts
- Brakes/brake pads
- Stem bolts
- Headset top cap/bolt
- Seat clamp and bolt (high end seatposts usually have titanium hardware already)
- Chainring bolts
- (if exists) Rear derailleur hanger
- Levers (clamps, bolts, grips)
- Rear derailleur
- Sanding/Dremeling
- Front derailleur

Or roughly non-structural elements -> drivetrain elements -> structural elements. i.e. Putting holes through structural elements should be reserved for the last.

Sanding and dremeling is a hit or miss. I removed too much material off my SRAM Red brake levers which barely registered any change. :noidea: However the same amount of dremeling worked well on a Campagnolo Record levers. I would recommend an incremental strategy where you measure the weight change incrementally and (if your dremeling affects aesthetics) plan in 'intermediate stages' so that you can stop early if it's not helping.

If your sanding job requires clear coat, it is also misleadingly expensive and time-consuming. It's fast to do a low quality, cheap job but requires a lot of patience and materials to do that last 20% well. On the other hand other projects have very low variance in response to skill and tooling.

Brake pads are very high on my list because I think they're one of the few areas where your "quality of life" actually increases with the tuning, which is rare... Usually your QOL registers no change or even slight deterioriation from the tuning. Yellow Swisstops with epoxy, CF, Ti bolts, nylon washers are a charm together. Not related to tuning, but related to QOL: I would deviate from the grams/$ or grams/time sort order to actually "overpay" on the saddle, seatpost and handlebar because those lower the center of gravity.

This may be trivial but wasn't to me at the time: I would also deviate slightly from the grams/$ or grams/time sort order and "overpay" on the frame and fork initially because it's so much less effort to tune the peripherals than to swap the frame and fork when the bike has been assembled already, obviously.

And if you are just focused on the aesthetics, I think tuning on the derailleurs photographs best :)

Last edited by ephedyn on Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

ephedyn

by ephedyn

tonytourist wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:39 am
I remember one of your posts from back in the day, your mom threw away some of your stuff! :(
Nice to know you finished it and have been putting some miles on the build :thumbup:
Haha yep, good old days. Good to see folks like you still around and active in the community after all these years.

ephedyn

by ephedyn

Nicke wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:03 am
Lovely build and thank you for the advice!
shotgun1 wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:13 am
Great tips and thanks for sharing! I echo similart experience with using Clinchers, as well as working with better cleats (I'm using Time, which is less practical than my other steeds on Look). I always have second thoughts using the bike.
Thanks x2. Glad to see I'm not alone on this point.

bernard34

by bernard34

Very nice bike, I have a few memories about all those parts ! it is the "old school" weightweenies, the best :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com