Little experiment - Allez Sprint 1x Sram XPLR

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

riochang

by riochang

I always wanted to try 1x setup for road bike, mainly for that really clean aethestic look, one less thing to worry about, easier to maintain, easier to clean the bike, and some weight savings too. Didn't go with the eagle mullet build before as the steps between gears were too big for 10-50t, plus there was not much weight savings. This Rival AXS XPLR setup saves around 220g compared to Rival 2x.
The new XPLR gear ratio is exactly what I needed to get as close to my other road bikes: 46/33 + 10-33T setup.

Total weight including pedals as pictured is 7.6kg with relatively heavy wheelset (1550g) and tubeless tires (2*280g).
Comparing to my usual road bike setup, I don't really miss the additional gears as I am not very sensitive to cadence. This is my new favorite all-rounder, great looking, not too expensive, has all the modern tech and features. 8)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

misteryellow

by misteryellow

This is super awesome! I love the uniqueness.
''Just because something is possible, doesn't mean it's a good idea. It will add unnecessary complexity with little, if any, real benefit. Part of the beauty of this sport is the lack of hand holding & arse wiping.'' - ultimobici

Prawn

by Prawn

Looks good... and the gear spacing looks very usable on the road. Is there significant rub / noise when riding at the extremities of the cassette?

riochang

by riochang

Prawn wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:44 pm
Looks good... and the gear spacing looks very usable on the road. Is there significant rub / noise when riding at the extremities of the cassette?
It's pretty quiet, the noise is at similar level compared to 2x setup

jamin

by jamin

Really like this build! 1x wasnt really on my radar until I picked up a nearly new Specialized Edition Sprint, which I am currently in the process if upgrading to 12spd eTap, hope it turns out as nice as this (I think the disc brake frame makes for a cleaner look compared to rim brake).

jamin

by jamin

double post

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

The 11x 10-42 Sram Cassettes are also quite nice for allround road use and can be used with their mechanical groups