Stelbel Antenore Disc Build - 2021

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Benji86

by Benji86

Shmitt wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:13 am
How tall are you? I look at the geometry of the frame and we have similar dimensions.
I am 185cm so under 6'1

my Condor is 55cm, P3 is 56cm and I ride ML in Giant TCR.

Shmitt

by Shmitt

I am 183 cm, and in my future custom-built bike, the stack is 580 mm, and the reach is 383 mm, I did not want a very tilted position, of course the Campagnolo record group :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JasonFly

by JasonFly

Benji86 wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:48 am
Hi All,

Thought id say hi and share with you my recent build from Stelbel.

The process took approximately a year from when i contacted stelbel, very happy with how it turned out.

Frame: Stelbel Antenore (Xcr) Disc with T47 BB & Chris King Headset
Groupset: Campagnolo chorus 12 speed
Wheels/Tyres: Campagnolo WTO 45 Discs (setup tubeless) with Pirelli P-Zero Race TLR
Finishing Kit - Deda Superleggero Handlebars, Seatpost and Stem

weight is around 8.7kg

Attached are some pictures stelbel took of my build & a photo from post bike fit.

Note that I had to lower my saddle and also fitter has slammed my stem, so will ride for next few months before cutting the fork.

Hope this post gives you inspiration if you are considering a custom steel build, happy to share my process if anyone wants to ask.
Lovely bike, I have the same model with (almost) the same setup in my wish list!

I am however a bit suprised by the weight, on paper 8.7kg seems much.

Below my estimate (some weights are a bit inflated to stay on the safe side):

Frame: 1800g
Fork: 400g
Groupset (Chorus 12 disc): 2650g
Wheels (Wto 45 disc): 1550g
Tubeless tyres: 550g
Seat: 200g
Seatpost: 200g
Stem: 130g
Handlebars+tape: 300g
Pedals (shimano XT SPD): 350g
Total: +- 8.00kg with pedals, should be possible to get close to 7.7/7.8kg with a sensible choice of some components.

What am I doing wrong?

My current ride weights less than 7.5kg (carbon frame, rim brakes, 10 speeds), I'd love to replace it with an Antenore Disc, but the idea to invest more than 5.000€ in a (*much) heavier bike is putting me off...

*Of course I know I will hardly notice the difference, but from a rational point of view it is still hard to justify to end up with less money and 1.3kg more :?

Anyway congrats for your bike, it looks fantastic and I bet it rides even better!

DHG01

by DHG01

You have good margin on some of the components. I think you are missing headset, skewers. Are rotors included in the groupset weight? Housing?

I would tend to think that getting to 8 kg on a 1.8kg disc frame is somewhat challenging.

dcj10

by dcj10

Thanks to Stelbel for taking so much care over the photos. The bike is clearly worth the trouble. Colour pops. Just lovely.
Main ride Aethos Expert 2021 https://weightweenies.starbike.com/for ... 0&t=169445
First reserve Pegoretti steel 2012 Ciavete paint viewtopic.php?f=10&t=168091

JasonFly

by JasonFly

DHG01 wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:50 pm
You have good margin on some of the components. I think you are missing headset, skewers. Are rotors included in the groupset weight? Housing?

I would tend to think that getting to 8 kg on a 1.8kg disc frame is somewhat challenging.
Headset should be less than 200g while skewers should be included in wheels weight.

Groupset weight according to bikeradar is slightly less than 2600g with rotors:
https://www.bikeradar.com/news/campagno ... -groupset/

I think the biggest source of uncertainty comes with the frame, painted and in a size bigger than S could easily be heavier than 2kg.

Will try to find some weight breakdown of similar models to better understand, if someone can help I would appreciate!

Juha

by Juha

Maybe I can help as I've recently built Antenore (Rim version)

The frame most likely will be a bit heavier than 1800g. "Normal" size frames (with paint) are nowhere near the weight mentioned in their website (1680g). My frame was ~2kg with columbus headset (stack 564, reach 390). So frame alone is ~1900g

Anyway, you can for sure build it to be <8kg, if using light components. Mine is 7977g at the moment, and it includes several very heavy components, like 275g Stelbel Ti seatpost.

Bora skewers are also very heavy, ~120g, but they are very robust as well.