Ritchey Break away steel build (Travel Companion build to last)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

mkentik

by mkentik

Hello again coming the time to refresh my stable with something different.Due to my Job i travel a lot so i wanted a bike which would be easy to carry can withstand some to much abuse and to be build with parts that can last.I wanted also because i wanted to keep in touch with cycling in my time of working otherwise i have to use spinning bikes or rentals which sucks most of the time, done that not like it at all.
The bike will be build mostly with aluminum parts and with sram red red axs(just for something different).I have purchased the frame in M which comes togeher with it one travel bag,rest of the components are either new or in very good condition.
Attachments
frame.jpg
frame_bab_road_tan-black_ht_front_1_5.jpg
frame_bab_road_tan-black_rear_triangle_5.jpg
frame_bab_road_tan-black_separated.jpg
frame_bab_road_tan-black_st.jpg
-----------------------------------------
[Cicli Barco XCR]
[Cervelo S-Series]
Ritchey Break Away
Wilier Triestina Ramata
[Gios Compact Evolution]
[Colnago Master Oval Titanium]
Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra
Piton Twin
Miyata Century
Vitus 992
Daccordi 50th

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mkentik

by mkentik

Components as follows

1)Groupset Sram Red AXS etap rim brake
2)Brakes Sram Aerolink
3)Stem Richey WCS 260 110 mm
4)Handlebar Fizik R3 Cyrano
5)Tape Ritchey classic (leather look)
6)BB Sram DUB BSA 68/73
7)Seatpost Fizik R3
8)Saddle Selle Italia ti or Prologo havent decided yet
9)Bottle cage Ritchey WCS carbon
10)Tires Continental 5000 700x28 folding
11)Inner Tube Continental
12)QR DT Swiss RCS
As for the wheelset i will use the Richey Zetta classic found in a great deal comes only in 1444 grm wide enough and compact enough as you can remove the whole freehub and axle reducing significaly the volume and is much robust that you can use it everywhere.
The groupset is practically new i have found in a price together with a power meter that i couldnt resist.I was going to get a sram electronic due to the lack of wiring and i found this on my way. :lol:
Attachments
whl_rd_classic_zeta__MY2016.jpg
Untitled.jpg
[Cicli Barco XCR]
[Cervelo S-Series]
Ritchey Break Away
Wilier Triestina Ramata
[Gios Compact Evolution]
Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra
Piton Twin
Miyata Century
Vitus 992
Daccordi 50th

mcfarton

by mcfarton

I picked up a used brake away gran prix. I haven’t been motivated to get my build done. Hopefully this weekend or next will be my first ride on it. I am jealous that you managed to get a power meter on yours. That’s the only part that I couldn’t figure out affordably. I will look forward to your finished bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mkentik

by mkentik

mcfarton wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:46 pm
I picked up a used brake away gran prix. I haven’t been motivated to get my build done. Hopefully this weekend or next will be my first ride on it. I am jealous that you managed to get a power meter on yours. That’s the only part that I couldn’t figure out affordably. I will look forward to your finished bike.

This came together with the groupset at a deal price that anybody couldnt resist.I have also Feedback Sports Omnium Portable Trainer which is excellent only 6.35 Kgs and very compact size.My company allows me to travel without extra charge carrying total baggage of 40 kgs.So in one baggage i will have the bike which is not more than 13 kgs and in the other bag plenty of room for the trainer plus my stuff.Win win case
Attachments
159682-00-d-285462.jpg
[Cicli Barco XCR]
[Cervelo S-Series]
Ritchey Break Away
Wilier Triestina Ramata
[Gios Compact Evolution]
Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra
Piton Twin
Miyata Century
Vitus 992
Daccordi 50th

kytyree

by kytyree

You're going to enjoy it, I just packed mine away in a hotel after a week of riding every morning before going into work. I love the idea of using AXS/etap, one less thing to fool with, though cables don't add much, the splitters work very well. I watch the Youtube video Ritchey did before I pack it up to start a trip and it refreshes me on how it all goes in the box. If I traveled more often it wouldn't be necessary.

One thing I've started doing differently is remving the reah mech from the frame instead of sticking it in the corner of the case as they show it. One, I've had the airlines break a mech that way, a good drop and it may be done in, and two I think it adds just the little bit of space I was missing that makes it easier to fit the bars in on the opposite side of the case. This time I left the chain through the mech but wrapped the mech in bubble wrap and it's sitting up between the seat stays near the rear brake.

I've traveled in the past with a lubed chain and this was my first with a waxed chain on the Breakaway. The waxed chain makes things so much easier when working on the bike in a hotel or away from home.

The Zeta wheels are a worthy addition, they complement the frame very well. Very easy, as they show to pop the cassette and axle out and overall much less worry than another rear wheel would be for packing etc. I've been traveling with mine setup tubeless but they're very versatile wheels.

I also went with a durable alloy cockpit and think it works very well with the steel frame and traveling. I do need to find a more durable handlebar wrap, regular old Cinelli doesn't seem to handle the case very well and gets chewed up. I'm willing to sacrifice some feel for durability there.

mkentik

by mkentik

kytyree wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:32 pm
You're going to enjoy it, I just packed mine away in a hotel after a week of riding every morning before going into work. I love the idea of using AXS/etap, one less thing to fool with, though cables don't add much, the splitters work very well. I watch the Youtube video Ritchey did before I pack it up to start a trip and it refreshes me on how it all goes in the box. If I traveled more often it wouldn't be necessary.

One thing I've started doing differently is remving the reah mech from the frame instead of sticking it in the corner of the case as they show it. One, I've had the airlines break a mech that way, a good drop and it may be done in, and two I think it adds just the little bit of space I was missing that makes it easier to fit the bars in on the opposite side of the case. This time I left the chain through the mech but wrapped the mech in bubble wrap and it's sitting up between the seat stays near the rear brake.

I've traveled in the past with a lubed chain and this was my first with a waxed chain on the Breakaway. The waxed chain makes things so much easier when working on the bike in a hotel or away from home.

The Zeta wheels are a worthy addition, they complement the frame very well. Very easy, as they show to pop the cassette and axle out and overall much less worry than another rear wheel would be for packing etc. I've been traveling with mine setup tubeless but they're very versatile wheels.

I also went with a durable alloy cockpit and think it works very well with the steel frame and traveling. I do need to find a more durable handlebar wrap, regular old Cinelli doesn't seem to handle the case very well and gets chewed up. I'm willing to sacrifice some feel for durability there.
Many thanks for the heads up and the useful info.It will sure come in handy when it will be ready for pack & use....!!!.My wheels i will run with folding tires setup.
[Cicli Barco XCR]
[Cervelo S-Series]
Ritchey Break Away
Wilier Triestina Ramata
[Gios Compact Evolution]
Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra
Piton Twin
Miyata Century
Vitus 992
Daccordi 50th

DanW

by DanW

Watching this thread with interest :)

My setup is in progress and a breakaway style frame is the dream.

What kind of resistance does the Feedback Sports Omnium Portable Trainer give? What kind of Watts at what kind of speeds?

I have taken a slightly different approach as a MTB guy. An older MTB (IBIS Tranny 26 is a great frame if you can find it- I am still looking). A bit of a knackered Lefty with a Lefty for all Steerer is also nice as you can just drop it out in seconds and the Lefty takes up way less room than a regular fork when packed.

I am using a heavier turbo trainer but the advantage is high resistance and a very usable resistance range. This has let me set up the bike singlespeed with a small sprocket- much less to get damaged and really robust. The disadvantage is it isn't a practical outdoor setup with the ratio I have chosen but to be honest I rarely have the time to faff outside, get mucky and wet and deciding to do indoors only reduces the clothing needed/ can remove brakes to save weight/ etc.

If I am going somewhere and am likely to have time for some nice rides outside then I take my rigid SS 29er. The bag size becomes the only PITA in that case.

It is a great topic for a bike build and I look forward to seeing what others have come up with! :D

mkentik

by mkentik

DanW wrote:Watching this thread with interest :)

What kind of resistance does the Feedback Sports Omnium Portable Trainer give? What kind of Watts at what kind of speeds?

I have taken a slightly different approach as a MTB guy. An older MTB (IBIS Tranny 26 is a great frame if you can find it- I am still looking). A bit of a knackered Lefty with a Lefty for all Steerer is also nice as you can just drop it out in seconds and the Lefty takes up way less room than a regular fork when packed.

I am using a heavier turbo trainer but the advantage is high resistance and a very usable resistance range. This has let me set up the bike singlespeed with a small sprocket- much less to get damaged and really robust. The disadvantage is it isn't a practical outdoor setup with the ratio I have chosen but to be honest I rarely have the time to faff outside, get mucky and wet and deciding to do indoors only reduces the clothing needed/ can remove brakes to save weight/ etc.

If I am going somewhere and am likely to have time for some nice rides outside then I take my rigid SS 29er. The bag size becomes the only PITA in that case.

It is a great topic for a bike build and I look forward to seeing what others have come up with! :D
This an absolute great trainer. Resistance is a key factor when it comes to trainers and this one can easily give you 300 watts with a RPM of 85 and a 52t chainring on the 13-14 sprocket.
For more info you can check here

https://www.cxmagazine.com/feedback-spo ... ner-review

I use it everywhere.

https://www.pedalroom.com/members/mkentik

[Cicli Barco XCR]
[Cervelo S-Series]
Ritchey Break Away
Wilier Triestina Ramata
[Gios Compact Evolution]
Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra
Piton Twin
Miyata Century
Vitus 992
Daccordi 50th

mcfarton

by mcfarton

Ritchie makes a break away that has disc and big tires. No suspension but definitely off road oriented. Can’t remember what they call it but it sounds like it is for you.

mkentik

by mkentik

mcfarton wrote:

Ritchie makes a break away that has disc and big tires. No suspension but definitely off road oriented. Can’t remember what they call it but it sounds like it is for you.

It's the Richey breakaway outback my next projectImage

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/01/ritchey ... n-machine/

https://www.pedalroom.com/members/mkentik

[Cicli Barco XCR]
[Cervelo S-Series]
Ritchey Break Away
Wilier Triestina Ramata
[Gios Compact Evolution]
Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra
Piton Twin
Miyata Century
Vitus 992
Daccordi 50th

mkentik

by mkentik

Finally came to completion after long time waiting , bike weighted 8,18 kg which is very nice considering all the equipment .SRAM axs with the 10-33 and the zeta wheels absolutely rocks.Image

[Cicli Barco XCR]
[Cervelo S-Series]
Ritchey Break Away
Wilier Triestina Ramata
[Gios Compact Evolution]
Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra
Piton Twin
Miyata Century
Vitus 992
Daccordi 50th

tonchy

by tonchy

Very nice build, but how does it ride? :)

kode54

by kode54

Amazing looking bike for being a breakaway. You can’t even tell.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

mkentik

by mkentik

tonchy wrote:Very nice build, but how does it ride? :)
As I said it is an amazing travel companion ,the big ratio cassette is extremely helping on the big slops and ascents ,ok don’t forget it’s a steel bike primary purpose comfortable.The wide tires also helps a lot a bike made for century rides

[Cicli Barco XCR]
[Cervelo S-Series]
Ritchey Break Away
Wilier Triestina Ramata
[Gios Compact Evolution]
Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra
Piton Twin
Miyata Century
Vitus 992