6.8kg UCI weight limit with a tight budget - trading my way up

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Zabrodov

by Zabrodov

Hey everyone.

I am fairly new to the cycling world but I've been following the activity for some time.

Here is my first build - 2015 Cervelo R3 at 6870g.

I mentioned the tight budget as I wanted to see how I could get low weight bike while keeping a small budget. My budget limit was set at $1500 (Canadian) and from November 2020 until June 2021 I was trading my way up from a Decathlon Triban RC 120 to this bike.

The target weight I set at the UCI limit.

I spent pretty much up to my budget limit. I have a few leftover parts that I replaced in Cervelo. I might be able to bring the budget down to around $1000 CAD once I sell them.

It required a lot of luck but it was really fun and I am quite happy with the outcome. If I sell the remaining parts, I will have around $500 to spend on a few items to bring the weight down but I don't think that I can go below 6500g without exceeding the budget. Even reaching 6500 might be impossible without overspending but we'll see :)

Here are the lists of components of the bike when I just bought it and after I replaced some of the old parts

Here is the final result (the cable brakes were cut, which might have helped to lose a few grams of weight compared to the weight in the table). The rope used to hang the bike weights (25g).

PLEASEpleasePlease

by PLEASEpleasePlease

Nice sled! But whats going o with the saddle and handlebar set up? Looks like it might be a slight bit uncomfortable

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zabrodov

by Zabrodov

PLEASEpleasePlease wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:46 am
Nice sled! But whats going o with the saddle and handlebar set up? Looks like it might be a slight bit uncomfortable
Thank you!

I am not exactly sure what is wrong with the handlebar and saddle :) I might opt for a shorter stem though

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Bars need to be rotated around and saddle flat

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

Emmodd

by Emmodd

They don't need to be however, you might find yourself sliding forwards putting unnecessary weight on the hands perhaps leading to pins and needles or such like. Also, the angle of the bars mean that when rising on the hoods your wrists will be at an unnatural angle which could lead to further wrist/hand pain.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Lucendi

by Lucendi

Great build! Nice choice of frame and groupset!

There's plenty of inexpensive ways to make it lighter.

JoO

by JoO

Easy weight savings:
Light latex inner tubes (vredestein is 52 gr)
Kalloy uno stem (110 gr or so)
Titanium skewers (45 g)
Deda trafortata tape an plugs (40 gr)

StanK

by StanK

Maybe you wouldn't like to go latex and 45 g. skewers can be too flimsy for you (or bike), but with some 60 g. skewers you are covered. That with mentioned stem and bartape+plugs will give +100 grams drop.
And what are 52 g. brake pads? Shimano stock are 20-22 g. (set of 4), and pretty cheap.

StanK

by StanK

Emmodd wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:42 am
MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:53 pm
Bars need to be rotated around and saddle flat
They don't need to be however ...
Exactly. Especially for handlebars. If he want flat transition from bar to hoods (which a lot of people prefered), it's all depends of shape of the handlebars. If drops aren't leveled with the ground ... who cares.

Saddle ... I agree, flat in most cases is best, but here and there couple of degrees up or down, can be good thing. But not 20 degrees, as I saw on few bikes here and there. And I also think it's a little bit of the nose down here.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

The shifters are in the wrong place on the bars and the bars are not in the correct place

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

A proper side on shot of the bike would be nice however.

Lucendi

by Lucendi

I run my shifters in a similar position and so do many others.

Exhibit A, Phil Gaimon's cookie bikes;
https://cyclingtips.com/wp-content/uplo ... Tips-1.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dz5BPuQXQAAR1G9.jpg
Last edited by Lucendi on Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Of course there is some personal preference. However the ops drops are basically inline with the downtube.

Zabrodov

by Zabrodov

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

I am still learning and adjusting my bike with each ride to get a better fit.

I adjusted the saddle as I was indeed sliding when riding. As for the bars, I might bump the shifters just a bit but I don't have a problem with the weight issue on the bars. I think 110mm stem is too long for me, so I am considering 100mm stem, which should be perfect.

I got some level of numbness in my hands and felt too much weight on the bars until I moved the saddle and adjusted its angle.

As for weightsaving,I am thinking of getting a Kalloy Uno stem, perhaps a lighter carbon seatpost, change skewers and pedals. I might get Dura Ace 11-28 cassette to save a bit of weight there but I completely missed the brake pads. That's a good observation, which I did not make.

Here is the photo of the positioning of the shifters:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robbosmans

by robbosmans

The ends of you bar need to be perpendicular with the ground, now you are just extending you reach