Aethos Expert incoming with upgrades

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

frostorama

by frostorama

Yes!

Just placed an order for an Aethos Expert with my local bicycle shop. I was debating over an Sl7 or Aethos, but having owned an aero road bike before I have opted for a lightweight bike this time.

I wasn't keen on the subtle blue of the Aethos Pro and prefered the dark red on the Expert model. My local bike shop is building up my Expert with a few choice components, namely Alpinist CLX wheels (another customer had returned them as they are non-tubeless), Alpinist SL cockpit and a Stages power meter. Once I have sold off the stock wheels, bar, stem and saddle I will have an Aethos that should be lighter than the Pro for the same price.

The bike will be delivered in a weeks time and I am going to have to wait for the Roval cockpit which arrives in 3 weeks time.

I hope to have the complete bikes ready to ride (inc pedals) at near to 6.6kg with the spec changes I have ordered.

Cheers!

frostorama

by frostorama

Finally received the Alpinist SL cockpit. In 400mm x 100mm mines weighs 243g. Final weight of the bike with the Roval GPS mount and a single Bontrager XXX bottle cage and Speedplay Aero pedals is 6.65kg. Not too shabby for stock Ultegra Di2 and a Fizik Antares Versus Evo saddle.

Bike rides like a dream, super comfortable and very confidence inspiring on descents.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

aqualelaki

by aqualelaki

Picture please?

frostorama

by frostorama

Specialized Aethos Expert

Final weight: 6.65kg

Frame: Aethos Expert 54cm
Fork: Aethos Expert
hanger: Segeyi direct mount
Headset: stock
seatpost clamp: stock inc Ti bolt
Seatpost: Roval Alpinist
Seat: Fizik Antares Versus Evo
Stem: Alpinist SL
Bar: Alpinist SL
Bartape: Supacaz
bottle cages and hardware: single Bontrager XXX
Outer Cables: stock
Inner Cables: stock
Brakes: Ultegra
Front derailleur: Ultegra Di2
Rear derailleur: Ultegra Di2
Crankset: Ultegra 52/36 + Stages left hand power meter
Bottom Bracket: Ultegra BSA
Chainrings: stock
Chainring bolts: stock
Chain: stock
Shifters: Ultegra
Cassette: Ultegra 11-30
Wheels: Roval Alpinist CLX
Inntertubes: Bontrager latex
Tires: Turbo cottons 26mm
Pedals: Speedplay aero
Garmin mount: Roval
ABFB0C2D-BF1C-4552-8527-A516A83E3BBD.jpeg

dcj10

by dcj10

6.65kg is a nice weight for this, with pedals. You must be delighted? My 56cm Aethos Expert started out around 7.6kgs. That was stock, with pedals, 2 cages and Garmin mount. So far, even replacing the standard parts with Alpinist bar/stem and lighter wheels & saddle, I'm still looking at a fraction over 7kg.
Main ride Aethos Expert 2021 https://weightweenies.starbike.com/for ... 0&t=169445
First reserve Pegoretti steel 2012 Ciavete paint viewtopic.php?f=10&t=168091

frostorama

by frostorama

The bike is an absolute blast to ride, despite it being winter here in the UK I am still riding it (and cleaning it after every ride).

I have been thinking about ways to drop some weight. Obvious candidate are seatpost, saddle and groupset. Trouble is I am worried about dropping loads of money on a super lightweight saddle only to find it uncomfortable for all day riding. The Alpinist seatpost is not exactly heavy either.

Moving to Dura Ace would see 300gr off the weight, but the cost to gram ratio is not appealing!

Is your Expert running Shimano or SRAM?

dcj10

by dcj10

Its running Ultegra Di2. Thinking about changing the cranks next as mine weigh 698g. Maybe Extralite, which are around 510g if directly comparing without the bearing cups. I've just ordered a Bdop alloy 11-30 cassette, 120g ish. My Ultegra cassette weighs 270g with lockring. I might look at a Berk Lupina saddle which has a reputation for comfort, 100g ish. I might go for Farsports wheels 1010g. Have a look on freepk's build as he just ordered some deeper section Farsports wheels
Main ride Aethos Expert 2021 https://weightweenies.starbike.com/for ... 0&t=169445
First reserve Pegoretti steel 2012 Ciavete paint viewtopic.php?f=10&t=168091

HansZuDemFranz

by HansZuDemFranz

Absolutely beautiful bike. I am seriously considering switching from my Scott Addict RC to one of those

frostorama

by frostorama

You won't regret getting an Aethos. Due to the winter here in the UK I have not ridden mine much. Today however it's been dry for a few days so I ventured out on my Aethos. Wow....the ride is awesome, I was reminded how sweet the bike is, even on just an easy spin to the cafe!

Guivd

by Guivd

Hi frostorama,
Me too I am finishing an aethos pro build.
You can save weight on crankset with sram red crank arms, sigeyi axo powermeter is you want a powermeter and keep ultegra rings. More than 130g saved I guess.
Lighter saddle? (like berk lupina)
lighter tubes? (tubolito, revoloop etc...)
switch ultegra rotor to XTR / dura ace

GS100

by GS100

That's a really impressive weight with components that aren't too exotic either and likely no compromise on comfort. Looks a little like my TCR, which is a couple of grams heavier desipte isp, tubulars and rim brake!

joncoleman

by joncoleman

frostorama wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:56 am
Specialized Aethos Expert

Final weight: 6.65kg

Frame: Aethos Expert 54cm
Fork: Aethos Expert
hanger: Segeyi direct mount
Headset: stock
seatpost clamp: stock inc Ti bolt
Seatpost: Roval Alpinist
Seat: Fizik Antares Versus Evo
Stem: Alpinist SL
Bar: Alpinist SL
Bartape: Supacaz
bottle cages and hardware: single Bontrager XXX
Outer Cables: stock
Inner Cables: stock
Brakes: Ultegra
Front derailleur: Ultegra Di2
Rear derailleur: Ultegra Di2
Crankset: Ultegra 52/36 + Stages left hand power meter
Bottom Bracket: Ultegra BSA
Chainrings: stock
Chainring bolts: stock
Chain: stock
Shifters: Ultegra
Cassette: Ultegra 11-30
Wheels: Roval Alpinist CLX
Inntertubes: Bontrager latex
Tires: Turbo cottons 26mm
Pedals: Speedplay aero
Garmin mount: Roval

ABFB0C2D-BF1C-4552-8527-A516A83E3BBD.jpeg
Looks great. Thinking of a similar build myself. Did you remove the decals? How easy were they to remove?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

frostorama

by frostorama

No decals to remove, that's the stock colour for the 2021 Expert.