Rare folding bike: Winora Take Off

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

schs

by schs

I was lucky to find a very special folding bike: Winora Take Off. The bike is from the late eighties and is equiped with a 6 speed Sachs New Success groupset. I will post some photos of the bike when it's folded. More photos here: https://vive-le-velo.blogspot.com/2021/ ... e-off.html

Here some photos of the rear hub: it's a Sachs Galaxie hub.

one60

by one60

interesting frame...is this design similar to the folding frame Rob English makes? Looking foward to seeing/learning more!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

schs

by schs

yes, it's comparable to the design Rob English uses. The Take Off frame has the mechanism to detatch the seat stays near the dropouts (Rob builds the frame where seat stays are detached near seatpost collar). The Take Off frame was original sold including a special case. Too bad the seller of my bike did not have the case any more.

schs

by schs

I got questions about the bike packed in the case. Here you can see the bike case (not mine). and I forgot to mention the weight: as shown it's 10.94kg.

diecast

by diecast

That's an interesting design for the folding mechanism and the case. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Would I be correct in assuming that it's not necessary to disconnect any cables when folding?

schs

by schs

That's correct. As you can see in the photo below the brake cable housings are long enough to remove the quill stem without disconnecting the brake cables.

dj97223

by dj97223

Very clever case design.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

schs

by schs

dj97223 wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:52 pm
Very clever case design.
Clever, yes. downside: the case was quite big. It measures 88cm x 79cm x 24.5cm for the frame size 58cm.

There are other clever design ideas: the rear hub is splitted, so it's possible to take off the rear wheel and the cassette remains on the frame (Sachs Galaxie hub).

The pedals are mounted in a way that allows it to mount and remove them easily without tools. Photos:

The best part in my opinion is the solution for the releasable lock of the rear frame section. A clever design. You can find the patent online: https://patents.google.com/patent/DE392 ... =DE3929296.