2009 Ridley Noah => Chapter 2 Rere Purple Sky

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

theStig

by theStig

So thanks to all your feedback, I've chosen to replace my 12 year old Ridley Noah with a Chapter 2 Rere. Having refreshed the noah in late 2019, I'm just going to move most of the old parts over. Truth be told, it feels like I'm parting with an old friend. I doubt the old frameset is worth much so I'll probably just mount it on the wall somewhere and rebuild it again one day.

So the Rere arrived yesterday, took about a week to arrive in the US from NZ (actually Chapter 2 warehouses are in Hong Kong) so that wasn't bad. It actually got here 2 days after I ordered, but was held up in customs all week.

So my first impressions... The paintwork is stunning. I'll take better photos once I get it built. It doesn't feel like a big bike. I'm used to seeing all sorts of squared off edges on modern frames, but the Rere is all airfoil and svelte lines. it has the skinniest top tube of any bike I've ever owned, and the downtube is also relatively narrow. The seatstays are slightly beefier than my supersix evo HM, but only just. Chainstays are nice and beefy. The modern touches like direct mount brakes and wider tire clearance are nice, but the overall feel is kind of like an old school aero frame. Admittedly this is all from a styling perspective. I'm sure there's a lot of math behind all this that will play out in how it actually rides.

Second impression... she's a porker! FYI it is a size Large (i normally ride a 56, and this was closest stack/reach i could get to the Noah)

1225g Frame with hanger, bottle cage bolts, and a length of sleeving for the FD i have yet to remove (since im running etap)

415g Uncut fork

155g uncut seatpost without clamps

All the remaining hardware (headset, expander, the little aero covers/fittings, seatpost wedge/clamp) comes in at 212g

I have a feeling this is going to be heavier than the Ridley.

theStig

by theStig

using a fairly cheap amazon bearing press, I managed to press in the DS cup for the Wheels Manufacturing BB86-GXP thread together BB.

Park tools BB29 to cinch down the NDS portion of the BB. This took a while. I only had one wrench and to ensure I didn't gouge my new frame, i just sat with it on my lap, held the tool steady and level and pulled toward me. it took a long time but I got it fairly snug. Both bearings are drag free.

this frame makes use of direct mount brakes, which is partially why i was looking to upgrade. Sram S-900 brakes. They were suprisingly annoying to install (first time installing DM)... had to fiddle with the calipers to get them to mount, as they're essentually two halves connected by a little spring.

Despite my best measurements, i had ended up with way too many spacers under the stem. had to cut it again after this photo was taken. I also took the opportunity to wipe down the frame and apply an automotive grade ceramic coating.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

theStig

by theStig

the finished product. 7.6kg on the nose. I'll look for some ways of dropping weight in the near future. 72/90 is a tad large for this bike I am thinking of going with some shallower farsports wheels, that should easily take 400-500g off this build. Going with the Chapter 2 one piece bar and stem will probably save me another 60-80grams. Throw on a lighter saddle and I should be able to get close to 6.8.

Primera23

by Primera23

Nice bike and good looking S2000! What's the left one? Looks something JDM ;-)

PaavoS

by PaavoS

Primera23 wrote:Nice bike and good looking S2000! What's the left one? Looks something JDM ;-)
I could be totally wrong but it kind of looks like 1st gen R35

theStig

by theStig

PaavoS wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:46 pm
Primera23 wrote:Nice bike and good looking S2000! What's the left one? Looks something JDM ;-)
I could be totally wrong but it kind of looks like 1st gen R35

DBA R35 :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Primera23

by Primera23

Sweet! Was also thinking about R35 but not quitte sure. Nice collection of toys you have there sir!