Ritchey Road Logic - 2016 - 7,39kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

NickyR

by NickyR

This is my first topic on this forum. And it is about this bike because I think that it plenty deserves it.
A few words about my background first. I am turning 40 this year and I started cycling (mountainbiking to be correct) in the mid 90's as I was a teenager. I am more into mountainbiking, I have always been, but 5 years ago I started road cycling, mainly as training, and I am now developping a certain interest in this way of cycling. Must be the 40's crisis... :noidea:
My first road bike was a Cannondale CAAD12 (more about it later in another topic), a very very good choice, 7kg on the scale, a real rocketship.
I was really happy with it, delighted. But I wanted to try something different, something more "bling" than an alu frame :roll: Sometimes you just want some change :noidea: You know, it's not because your college girlfriend is the prettiest babe of the bunch that you are gonna mary her, you may think that grass is greener somewhere else (and then realized "well... No...") :mrgreen: So moved I to a titanium frame, which I didn't like that much (too stiff, "dead", weird I know...). And finally I decided to try a steel bike because I was curious about all the rage about "steel is real" and all the buzz around liveliness, springy, comfy etc...
I didn't want to go the custom fit way for 2 reasons : the price and the delivery time (especially if you consider that I had zero experience with steel bike). I searched for a good deal on a second hand high quality steel frame and after a long search, I found this Ritchey Road Logic frameset.
To me, that was the perfect applicant because the standard geometry (57) is spot on for me, I love the classic shapes and colors of this model (2016), Ritchey is a brand that I ve always respect a lot, and the reviews that I could find on the internet were rather very positive. Oh.. yeah... and I could get it for a very good price in excellent condition.
The frame weight is 1817g (size 57, including BB cables guide), I think it is more than fair for a mass production steel frame :
IMG_2978.JPG
The weight of the fork (full carbon) is 370g (+- 250mm steerer , including Ritchey WCS race crown 1" 1/8)
IMG_2977.JPG
A very goog base for a "light" steel build... :D
Last edited by NickyR on Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NickyR

by NickyR

Now the parts !
This bike deserves some good equipement. Ritchey parts are numerous on this build but I didn't want it to be a Ritchey parts catalogue.
Seatpost : Ritchey flex Superlogic 27,2x 350mm - 156g
IMG_2982.JPG
Saddle : Selle Italia SLR boost kit carbonio superflow L3 : 129g
IMG_2981.JPG
Specialized expander plug : 28g
IMG_2635.JPG
Ritchey WCS headset bearings and 7mm dustcover : 48g
IMG_2987.JPG
25mm Richey carbon spacers : 6g
IMG_2988.JPG
Stem : New Ultimate EVO 110mm with 6 black M5x15 ti screws : 107g
IMG_3031.JPG
Sixpack racing topcap : 6g
IMG_3025.JPG
Handlebar : ZIPP service course SL70 ergo 44cc : 219g
IMG_2652.JPG
Bar tap ZIPP service course : 64g
IMG_3028.JPG
Bottle cages : Syncros 1.0 carbon (24g/pcs)
Last edited by NickyR on Wed May 12, 2021 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NickyR

by NickyR

The groupset.
To me, the choice was obvious : Shimano Dura Ace 9000 all the way (except shifters and front mesh) - ultra classy, perfect shifting and braking, durable etc...
Front derailleur dura ace 9100 brazze on : 70g
IMG_3027.JPG
Parlee carbon braze on hanger for front derailleur : 7g
IMG_3002.JPG
Rear derailleur Dura Ace 9000 : 160g (not pictured)

Bottom bracket BSA Shimano dura ACE : 62g (without the shell)
IMG_2998.JPG
Crankset Shimano dura ace 9000 , 52-36, 175mm : 635g
IMG_3040.JPG
Pedals : TIME XPRO 12 carbon titanium : 188g (not pictured)
chain : dura ace 237g (not pictured)
cassette : dura ace 9100 11-28 : 195g (not pictured)
Shifters : dura ace 9100 370g

NickyR

by NickyR

Final weight of the bike , as pictured below : 7,53kg
IMG_3246.JPG
IMG_3248.JPG
I ll try to make better pictures.

The wheels come from a Dutch wheelbuilder, wheeltec, and I went with their in-house carbon rims (called Tailwind SLS, 45mm front and 50mm rear, 19mm internal, tubeless ready), Sapim CX rays front and CX sprint rear (I am not light at 85kg) and alu polyax nipples, the hubs are from a young belgian brand ERASE.
The wheelset is 1480g including tubeless tape. Their quick release are another 70g. I am very happy with this wheelset. Light but strong enough to withstand with our belgian crappy roads, stiff and fast but not too exclusive/demanding when you decrease the pace. And they are not too prone to crosswinds for their height.
For the tires, I ride tubeless, this is a personnal choice, not driven by the comfort because this frame has some in spades. The frame can accept 28mm max (actual measurements). I had the chance to get some ENVE SES 25mm for a good price (they are damn expensive) and they are impressive : only 237 and 240g, 26mm wide on a 19mm internal rim, good grip, excellent rolling properties, durable (milleage) and strong (puncture resistance), they only miss some vibrations damping compared to tires with more rubber. On a less compliant frame, I would go 27mm wide.
I must say that both the wheels and the tyres are excellent and participate to the fantastic riding experience.
Let's talk about the riding experience... AMAZING !
My previous bike was too stiff and quite "dead" in the BB area therefore the bike was quite demanding, especially with the high carbon rims. You had to be "in shape" to get the best of it. Sometimes you had to "fight" with him to find the good bracket. The bike didn't help during the long ride, when you are tired, which is a pity for a titanium frame.
From the very first meters, I noticed that this Ritchey played in another league. I felt directly "at home". This bike is smooth, easy going with its rider. Under hard pedaling and sprinting, you can feel a very small deflection in the BB area but then the bike gives this energy back. That must be the so-praised liveliness. It keeps the pace with ease, I really like crusing with this bike. Of course it is heavier than a good carbon bike and it will not be the best choice for long climbs or short crits with friends (if you aim for pure performance) but i never felt it was a penalty for my kind of ride, only pleasure.
The overal comfort is excellent. Geometry and handling, intuitive, not tricky at all. In downhill and cornering, the mass of the bike and compliance of steel create a very planted and reassuring feeling.
This bike, I ll keep it for a while.

DurianGrey

by DurianGrey

Great build, I absolutely love these frames.

LouisN

by LouisN

Same here !!
And that's a biiig boy ! Nice weight !

Louis :)

Arph

by Arph

Nice :) First time I see an Erase hubs user. How would you rate them ?

flying

by flying

Very nice write up & build!
Congrats :beer:

NickyR

by NickyR

LouisN wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 12:04 pm
Same here !!
And that's a biiig boy ! Nice weight !

Louis :)
flying wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 5:41 pm
Very nice write up & build!
Congrats :beer:
Thank you guys ! I only added the rainbow decals because I wasn't too fan of the blue/white/red stripes (too frenchy for my belgian taste :mrgreen: )

NickyR

by NickyR

Arph wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 3:24 pm
Nice :) First time I see an Erase hubs user. How would you rate them ?
Actually I am quite happy with them. I ve heard about some issues in some batchs of hubs but mine are trouble free for 5-6000 km.
They are light, quick engagement, smooth, nice freehub sound... and the system to erase the play works great. And cheaper than DT 240s.

Arph

by Arph

NickyR wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 1:17 pm
I wasn't too fan of the blue/white/red stripes (too frenchy for my belgian taste :mrgreen: )
There's nothing bad with some Frenchitude :)

Js2

by Js2

Nice bike man, makes me want to rebuild mine again :)

3phase

by 3phase

Super nice build man! Bravo ! Great choice!

DHG01

by DHG01

Great frame and bike. It's actually the Logic paint scheme I most like.

I had a similar experience to you with my first titanium bike; to stiff, similar to aluminum. May I ask which one you had?

NickyR

by NickyR

DHG01 wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:23 am
Great frame and bike. It's actually the Logic paint scheme I most like.

I had a similar experience to you with my first titanium bike; to stiff, similar to aluminum. May I ask which one you had?
It was a fairly uncommon brand for a road bike : Fairdale (Spaceship). I had a really good deal on the last frameset (1500 usd with enve 2.0 fork). I think that it could have been "easier" to ride with lower wheels (38mm high profile max).
Maybe I ll post its own topic but here is a pic :
IMG_2940.JPG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com