Adding ISP to '94 TI frame

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

facelessfools

by facelessfools

So Ipicked up a 1994 Performance TR1000 TI frame. I have never heard of the brand and found almost nothing about it online. I thought to myself "there is nothing cooler then a steel ot TI frome thats got a carbon ISP" but i cant afford to buy a custom one so I decided to make my own. Frames have been gluing carbon tubes into lugs for decades so the reliability is there. I ordered a 40" tube undersized from the 26.8mm original seatpost size (that was a factor in deciding to cut it). I marked my cuts then chopped it with an angle grinder. Then finished them with hand files to remove any burrs. Took a flap sander and 120 grit to score the inside of the TI. Wiped with acitone and did the same to the carbon. The epoxy is a west system G-flex, because it is rated to higher vibrations and flex forces. The frame will get a once over with brasso to touch it up and remove the shadow of the old decals.
The left over tube will become the ISP topper. I will cut a 4" section, drill and slot the clamping relief, add a small piece of carbon under the yoke for support and use a seat post clamp as the binder. I may drill and tap the clamp to add a set screw, preventing it from moving.
The overall build will use a Campy super record crankset and a narrow wide ring so I will have no reason to use a front derailleur (avoiding that problem set). The fork is a 1", like my other bike , so it will get a eBay Hylix fork that comes in at 330g. Wheels are still undecided but the rest of the drivetrain will probably be a Sram 1x11 system.
Lastly the frame weighed in at 1284g pre hack job, once the additional epoxy is cured and cleaned off and the ISP cut i'll get the new weights up.

So what do you guys think? Death trap or...
Attachments
image000000.jpg
image000001.jpg
image000002.jpg
image000003.jpg

MikeMoore

by MikeMoore

I think that is awesome! I hope it works as well as you want it to
Weight 74.4kg, FTP 303W => 4.04 W/kg

Retired Bikes
Custom 650B Kingdom Double9
Kinesis Aithein / Kinesis Racelight 4S

Current bikes
Reilly Spectre / Cervelo R3
Pivot Les / Pivot Mach4SL
Ventana El Conquistador

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

golfsierra

by golfsierra

Super cool

Look forward to seeing what you think of it ride wise

synchronicity

by synchronicity

An interesting mod.🙂
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

Pumablk

by Pumablk

I am intrigued. Carbon isp-ed metal frames look great. I can't wait to see how this turns out.

facelessfools

by facelessfools

I finally got the Topper done, the hardware isnt the lightest out there but it works! The parts came from a 30$ seatpost off amazon since it was cheap and all i needed was the hardware. The clamp is 18g itself... When torontocycles opens up again ill try and get a Ti one so it looks better. The port/starbord of the saddle is a little off so ill adjust that once i get the rest of the bike together, i dont want to mess with it before really knowing how far off it is.
I did get a set of wheels for it, tune hubs on kelin 20s.. super narrow but I got them for a good deal and i can always reuse the hubs.
Attachments
image000000 (1).jpg
image000001 (1).jpg
image000002 (1).jpg
image000003 (1).jpg
image000004.jpg

facelessfools

by facelessfools

Just got my mad science project done!
Rode it around the block a little and it feels great so far! Unfortunately we have off and on rain here for a few days so I'm not sure when I'll get to truely ride it. But she feels comfortable.
The wheels are borrowed from another bike... The plan is to build a wheelset with tune hubs in orange, Berd spokes in black, orange nipples, and light bicycle R25's. Then mount Conti 5000's at 25c and turbolite tubes.
According to a cheap fish scale it's right at 15lbs.
Attachments
PXL_20210607_202057203.jpg
PXL_20210607_202034036.jpg
PXL_20210607_202026604.jpg

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Excellent job! Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com