2xEVO Hi-Mods (4.99kg [work in progress] & 5.99kg)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

gurk700

by gurk700

Evo1:
5.11kg (current)

Evo2:
5.99kg (current)
Detailed weights list coming soon.

Last edited by gurk700 on Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:45 pm, edited 30 times in total.

gurk700

by gurk700

Sometimes, the answer is right in front of you.

Longish read ahead. You probably don't care about it but I have nothing better to do. Lying down in my bed, can't ride as I'm waiting for yesterday's covid vaccine's effects to wear off.

Why SuperSix?

I've been a cyclist only since 2015. But being a gear-head and extremely lucky and privileged to be able to spend money on my hobby, I went through several bikes. More than anyone in their right mind should, probably.

Visuals have always been very important to me as well as how a bike rides. I'm not a pro at the end of the day who gets paid to ride. That extra motivation of "when I look at the bike, it makes me wanna ride" absolutely applies to me. Having said that I'm also not the type of person to hype the latest thing he buys. I know when I'm an addict when that "new bike day" has lost its excitement. Sometimes I receive something in the mail, build it up, ride it and love it but that over the top excitement is never there. It's not cause the bike isn't awesome, it's just that I feel like after a level of bike, I truly believe there's no huge improvements to be made.

Little bike steed history.
Most bikes below I owned 1 at a time. Rarely 2 bikes at the same time.

2015 Felt F75
2015 Felt F1: First carbon bike, first carbon wheels, di2, power meter. The jump was HUGE. I was immediately sold on carbon too. I have forgotten more miles than I can remember but I absolutely remember the late night spin I did right after building this bike. I headed out for a spin around the block to just make sure everything is good as this was the first bike I built from ground up. I ended up riding an hour in the dark instead of just around the block cause it felt so great. Looking back to all the bikes I've owned, I honestly think I could've stuck with this and be happy. I know the gear-head in me would wanna try other things but you know... Hindsight.
2016 Felt F FRD
2015 Cervelo R5
2015 Cervelo S5: I was amazed by this bike's handling. It felt on rails and gave me so much confidence to push a little extra on descends. So much so that I crashed going around 35-40mph on a long sweeping curve. I just felt good and wasn't paying attention to the road. It was a dry day but we entered a section of the descend where there was some tree cover. Ground was wet and the tires couldn't take it. Somehow both the bike and I were OK. Still one of the best bikes I've ridden for descending though.
2015 Cervelo R5: Went back to R5 because at the end of the day, I preferred the ride feel and the look of the round tubes and a traditional light weight climbing bike.
2018 BMC RM03: Shimano 105 group. Got it for dirt cheap. Didn't wanna spend too much on my first disc brake bike. I liked it quite a bit so pulled the trigger on a:
2018 BMC RM02: Sram Etap Disc. I was pretty let down with this. Bike was awesome but I could not for the life of me tune out the disc rub. Tried everything and gave up.
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 54cm: I can't tell if this was one of my all time favorite bikes or I just loved going back to rim brakes. Not because of brake performance or anything like that. Just the simplicity, lightweight and how different rim brakes ride. Last thing I want is to turn this into a rim / disc argument. I just plain don't care. Discs are great and I can love a disc brake bike. But at this point I was very happy to go back.
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 52cm: Always knew I'd prefer a smaller frame with longer stem and this one confirmed it. Rest of my bikes from this point have been Small / 52cm. 54 fits fine to me but I prefer how a 52 feels, rides and looks in most bikes.
2019 S-Works SL6 Disc: I wanted to give discs another chance. The idea of owning stuff that are not made anymore has always scared me. What if I love a bike and wear through my carbon rims and can't find another one that I like as much etc. Probably stupid and might not be the case in my life time but the industry seems to change faster than ever. In the end loved this bike and kept it for a while! And the Dura Ace on this setup worked perfectly. No rub at all. I loved the ride.
2020 S-Works SL7: I said it when I first bought it. To me this is SL6 with hidden cables and a little less comfortable ride. With same parts (besides integrated bits) it was the same weight almost to the dot. Looks cool but left me thinking I just paid crap load of money for something that I didn't LOVE enough.
2020 S-Works Aethos: I kinda wish they came up with this one first. This to me felt a better follow up to the SL6 than the SL7 was. SL7 would be the new Venge and this one would be the Tarmac. A MUCH lighter SL6 that has much more traditional shapes, non integrated parts etc. I loved the idea of this but that huge top tube angle was the only thing I couldn't get used to.

So wait, why SuperSix?

After all that, it was really just about combining all the experience with above bikes and learning about myself and making a decision.
When you zoom out and look at things, they tend to become more clear.

- As long as they work as intended, I don't have a very strong preference over disc or rim brakes. There's something I can't explain about how a rim brake bike rides that I prefer but this was never gonna be the sole decision maker. In the end, the idea of being able to get exotic rim brake wheelsets of just a few years ago for dirt cheap is very attractive and offsets the fear of "running out of supply" a bit. I think I have enough wheelsets to last me a life time now and the total cost of them is probably less than a brand new disc brake lightweight meilenstein set
- I don't need the latest and greatest to be happy. I tried that. I ended up looking backwards. When I had the Aethos, I wondered if I should've just kept the Ultralight Rim.
- I prefer rounder tubes and traditional look. I don't need the extra 3-5-whatever watt saving (that probably doesn't apply to me because I can't ride 300 watts for 3 hours or go 30mph solo on flat) from aero shapes or cable integrations.
- I love "serviceability." I just love working on bikes and built all but 2 of the bikes above myself from scratch. I love taking them apart all the way and periodically cleaning everything meticulously. At the end of the day though, I hate disc brake bleeding process the most. It was same on motorcycles to be honest. I did everything myself on motos too and brake bleed was always my least favorite. Messy and just not fun to me. It's perfect if you set it and forget it but like I said, I part out my bikes and clean etc.
- As mentioned, looks are important to me and a traditional rear triangle (non drop seat stays), and near horizontal top tube are my favorite. So much so that I almost got a Ti bike. (No22 Great Divide rim brake). But the price is really up there and I know I'd miss the performance and lightweight of carbon.
- Light weight has always been a fun thing to chase. I know at the end of the day it doesn't do much in terms of performance but the "feel" of a light bike is real to me.
- GREAT HANDLING. S5 has been still on my mind. S-works Ultralight and all the tarmacs and Aethos were pretty close on how awesome they handled. So "a great handling race bike" was definitely another requirement to me.

When you combined all of the above, Supersix has been an obvious choice to me.
Sometimes, the answer is right in front of you.

I've never been a Cdale fan, really. Built a SuperSix for my friend back in 2018 (paid $600 for a MINT Hi-Mod frame! Those were the days...) and loved how it looked. HATED the rear brake cable routing (still do but finally figured out the perfect length to make it function perfectly, lol. This is less crucial on Dura Ace brakes and more so on Sram & THM) Besides that, it was just a great no frills, traditional looking race bike! Even though I loved the looks and read literally hundreds of people rave about it (including my friend I built it for) I was never 100% sold for dumb reasons. It's only when I looked at what I need objectively and let go of superficial stuff like "ehh I don't know about the brand" (at the end of the day, who f*cking cares) or "I hate the color schemes" (just get it repaint although I like the ones I have, especially the black / chrome) I was able to entertain the idea of a SS.

Then seeing a few posts here with crazy light weight and BEAUTIFUL looking builds, I was ready to pull the trigger.
Thanks, dudemanppl, you jerk. (In reality, I could blame this whole saga on this guy and move on, tbh)
Last edited by gurk700 on Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:08 am, edited 9 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

oldturd

by oldturd

damn Gurk, these are fantastic. I saw your FS posts.. so no more spesh and discs?

gurk700

by gurk700

oldturd wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 1:19 am
damn Gurk, these are fantastic. I saw your FS posts.. so no more spesh and discs?
No more! But it's less about discs or specialized or anything like that.
It's more about just missing the round tubes, traditional shapes and non-integrated parts. Nothing against any of it. I'm just drawn to stuff of 4-5 years ago.

Aethos was sooooo so close! I realize how stupid this sounds as I type it but I couldn't get over the crazy top tube angle. It's such a beautiful bike, I just wish it had a more traditional, horizontal top tube like you see on custom ti bikes.

I considered those too but didn't feel like spending another 5k on just the ti frame when I can just blow it on exotic wheels and finishing kit etc :lol:

SuperSix just checked every box. It definitely has quirks. No bike is ever perfect but it's pretty damn close. So much so that I think I'm gonna settle.

I know I said that many times before but it gives me hope that I have now come full circle (if you consider I started on a Felt F1 which is not too far off from a SuperSix)

Anyway! lol. Way more in there than you probably asked for. Thank you though :beerchug:

tbrix

by tbrix

My god. Both are amazing bikes. I think that has to be one of the all-time great carbon frames. Timeless.

gurk700

by gurk700

tbrix wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 5:47 am
My god. Both are amazing bikes. I think that has to be one of the all-time great carbon frames. Timeless.
Thank you and agreed! Makes me wanna hoard more of them :mrgreen:

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Wow!! Both are absolute perfection in my eyes. Congrats on both builds and I hope you enjoy the hell out of them.

wannabefast

by wannabefast

Beautiful builds! What's the max tire clearance on this gen SS EVO?

gurk700

by gurk700

wannabefast wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 4:02 pm
Beautiful builds! What's the max tire clearance on this gen SS EVO?
Pretty sure the one above had 28mm zipp tangentes installed when I got it. I probably wouldn’t push it much further than that!

I run 23 and 25mm tires in general though.

C36

by C36

wannabefast wrote:Beautiful builds! What's the max tire clearance on this gen SS EVO?
Officially 28 following whatever international standard that rule this topic.
Never ran 28 or bigger, but an official 28 usually allow going few mm more.

—————————————
- Supersix evo2 HM 5707g
- 1995 Miguel Indurain Pinarello restauration project
- R3000si Junior bike restauration project.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

It'll fit 32mm measured no question, probably 34 if you're crazy.

gurk700

by gurk700

dudemanppl wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 9:31 pm
It'll fit 32mm measured no question, probably 34 if you're crazy.
He said, as he was installing gravel kings onto his SS.

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

Nice story. These are really great. The murdered out Darimo stem being nice and flush with the straight TT is my favorite part. My eyes were drawn there immediately.

I agree, the older generation SS's really check a lot of boxes. I'm passively looking for a frame in my size as well.

I've done the "long drive to pick up used/rare bike parts" before, and that is definitely exciting, lol. Looking forward to your parts list.

gurk700

by gurk700

maxim809 wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 4:42 am
Nice story. These are really great. The murdered out Darimo stem being nice and flush with the straight TT is my favorite part. My eyes were drawn there immediately.

I agree, the older generation SS's really check a lot of boxes. I'm passively looking for a frame in my size as well.

I've done the "long drive to pick up used/rare bike parts" before, and that is definitely exciting, lol. Looking forward to your parts list.
12 degree stem pairs up REALLY WELL with this bike and fits me like a glove. wish Syntace for the black one was also 12 degrees as opposed to 13.
I could go specialized for that one to keep it budget or f it and get an extralite but not in a hurry :)

Thank you! I can't wait to part it out and weigh everything as well. Should get around to it soon!

mrlobber

by mrlobber

On the first pic (maybe it's just the light??), the tyre tanwalls go together with the Cannondale logo so perfectly that I'm simply left speechless.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com