Cannondale SuperX - Weenie on budget ;]

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

taf

by taf

9.75 kg
If You say stock weight isnt satisfying You, its like You didnt say anything.

My goal is to build cheap and light bike for 100kg rider and as You probaby already know cheap doesnt go along with light and light with durable but will give a shot.

List of parts and weight will be added soon.
TBC..

taf

by taf

Inspired by Godzuki i started to strip paint as its costless and kg/$ ratio is great. Went down from 1100g to 995g frame and 380 to 360 fork. So far so good, weight and money saved.

Next step was to cover unwanted holes. Piece of carbon laminate and cyanoacrylic glue done the job.

Another task was paintjob. Unfortunatelly couldnt find proper format of old Cdale logo which is my favorite so i had to "design" it again and model tag as well. Since im going light so i couldnt resist to ad SL ;]

After looong waiting finally frameset was ready. Painter did great job, frame gained only 15g ad fork 6g which saves 104g in total on frameset.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

taf

by taf

Same procedure was applied to seatpost. Original Cannondale C3 was replaced by Hollowgram Save 400mm 25,4 weights almost 207g which is unacceptable .... a lot.
At first i chopped unwanted surplus - 35,7g and stripped what seemed to be thick layer of paint - 1.9g. New paintjob increased weight of radiculus amount 0.2g ! So far 37,4g shaved.
Top part, rocker and bolts looks like joke on scale so some action in this area need to be done!
26.2g to 14,4g / 18,6g to 10.4g / 16.2g to 9.6g
After diet seatpost from 206,7g dropped to 143,1g which gives 63,6g of savings

Aliexpress rocker
Kcnc holders
Probolt titanium bolts 35mm

Tuned seatpost

taf

by taf

Its time for headset, oryginal star and topcap combo made me speachless - 49.9g Replaced by Aliexpress copy of Extralite star - 6,9g and generic carbon Aliexpress topcap - 2,6g plus nylon screw - 0.7g
Huge savings here - 39,7g !!

Maddie

by Maddie

Great stuff! How did you sand your frame? Did it myself on 2 frames but always interested in how others do it.
Careful with the aliexpress expander (or other superlight in general). They don't always work well in rough terrain.

taf

by taf

Maddie wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 12:15 pm
Great stuff! How did you sand your frame? Did it myself on 2 frames but always interested in how others do it.
Careful with the aliexpress expander (or other superlight in general). They don't always work well in rough terrain.
As newbie in carbon sanding at first started with sandpaper 240 to get through lacker and paint but it was way to slow than switched to razorblade which was much quicker. Ofcourse You gotta know what You doing and be gentle with presure on blade but its not that hard ;]
After razorblade phase i used Dremel to sand filler and hard to get spots 80/240 grit. 800 and 1200 to finish and it was ready to paint.
All together, frameset and seatpost took me about 20h, now i guess i would do it in 7h

Expander seets firmly in steerer so i guess its gonna be ok. Got one in other bike and already done some cobblestones and nothing happened.
Will see, if start loosing grip ill let You know.
Last edited by taf on Thu May 06, 2021 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

Awesome! Thats some cheap alternative to save lots of weight

DHG01

by DHG01

I really like that bike; particularly the paint scheme you have (had). The only reason I didn't pull the trigger in the end was the specific offsett in the rear wheel. What plans do you have for wheels?

taf

by taf

DHG01 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 8:30 pm
I really like that bike; particularly the paint scheme you have (had). The only reason I didn't pull the trigger in the end was the specific offsett in the rear wheel. What plans do you have for wheels?
Heh, actually its worst paint scheme in my opinion ;] but "de gustibus non est disputandum"
Offset its not a problem, its olny 6mm and according to cannondale service 99% of wheelsets can be easly redished. Done that on Mavic Ksyrium Elite UST and Hollowgram SISL which are my weapon of choice.
Considering my 100kg i have not much choice as we speaking of wheels especially if im on budget. Lucky me i found brand new Cannondale Hollowgrams on sale for less than half price.
Wheelset weigth - 1432g (weight on scale with original rimtape minus 25g on two wheels)
Tune tubeless tape - 13,4g
Valves (generic Aliexpress) - 11g
Stan`s tire sealant - 35ml/each wheel
Tires Vittoria Terano Zero 700x35 - 435g/ea
Image Image

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Nice work! Where are you headed next on the weight loss? Bars, stem, saddle, 1x?
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

taf

by taf

bikewithnoname wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 7:45 am
Nice work! Where are you headed next on the weight loss? Bars, stem, saddle, 1x?
Stem and saddle already picked.
Thats right im going 1x12, not exactly budget wise but i love 10/33 on casette, along with 42t chainring it covers my needs.

KCNC SCWing 120mm 6* probably best weight/$ ratio

Selle italia SLR Techno Flow S2 (original weight 109g, reinforced to handle my weight ;])

Thomson

by Thomson

Really like this! Can't believe the weight off off the standard cannondale expander. Huge saving for little cost. Have you a target weight you would like to hit?

taf

by taf

Thomson wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 7:10 pm
Really like this! Can't believe the weight off off the standard cannondale expander. Huge saving for little cost. Have you a target weight you would like to hit?
UCI illegal, thats for sure.
I hope for less than 6.5kg

golfsierra

by golfsierra

Love it! Best gravel bike in Cannondale’s line up

Cool build and enjoy the approach of tuning rather than just throwing money at the same 5 brands and calling it a WW build

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

taf

by taf

Just arrived hollow bolts from RISK - 2.7g saved comparing to regular titanium bolts !