Another C64 Sizing Thread

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

zero71

by zero71

Double checked. According to WheelsMFG their BB86 thread together Press Fit BBs work just fine in Colnago BB threaded shells. Just like any BB86 will.
https://wheelsmfg.com/bb-standards

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

zero71 wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:16 pm
Specifically this one. https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/b ... black.html
Appologies for my previous reply as it was not very concise. Iinitally I was thinking you were intending to use the threaded style thread together bottom bracket. As for the bottom bracket in your link, that can indeed be used but you need to consider that the Colnago threaded cups were factored into the bottom bracket offset and have a marginally thicker flange width than the Wheels Mfg bottom bracket. When install the Wheels Mfg bottom bracket, you will have to contend with the added width of the flange used to thread the bottom bracket together which might result in chainline issues with the crankset due to the increased offse. I opted to use a BBInfinite one-peice assembly which the drive side extends ~2 mm beyond the Colnago threadfit cup. That setup has been creak free for almost 2200 Km since December but it did require 'polishing' the lead edge of the DS of the BBInfinite cartridge as I found my threadfit cups a tad undersized which was causing the BBInfinite cartridge to deform under load while pressing it in.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

zero71

by zero71

I suspect that the outer width of the BB infinite, the CS, the Wheelsmfg, or any other BB86 with bearing caps on will be exactly the same. I will likely give it a try first before opting for the CS if it's not great. Colnago designed their inserts specifically to work with BB86 and as you say, you've been doing fine with your BBinfinite. All BB86 have a lip and flange on them, even if they don't thread together.

I've got 4 months to wait on my frameset anyway. Lots of time to ponder. 😀

zero71

by zero71

After many months of waiting, my C64 Disc frameset was delivered today from Italy!

vinc

by vinc

Lucky you

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

jackie

by jackie

zero71 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:04 pm
After many months of waiting, my C64 Disc frameset was delivered today from Italy!

full internal routing via stem?

zero71

by zero71

jackie wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:55 am
full internal routing via stem?
Yep

zero71

by zero71

Blimey, fitting a BB inside those Colnago cups is hard. I've got my threadfit wheelsmfg BB and installation is a pain in the ass. I got drive side half pressed in easily enough, but the force required to turn the threaded half into the other side combined with the interference fit from the Colnago cup is really high. Too high for my BBT29 wrench. I've had to order a Wheelsmfg 44 48 socket tool - no idea how long that'll take though.

welchy

by welchy

zero71 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:33 pm
Blimey, fitting a BB inside those Colnago cups is hard. I've got my threadfit wheelsmfg BB and installation is a pain in the ass. I got drive side half pressed in easily enough, but the force required to turn the threaded half into the other side combined with the interference fit from the Colnago cup is really high. Too high for my BBT29 wrench. I've had to order a Wheelsmfg 44 48 socket tool - no idea how long that'll take though.
I'm pretty surprised as my Campy cups slid right in a dream. Best check something isn't wrong, have you mic'd it up to check the diameter of BB and concentrity?

zero71

by zero71

welchy wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:39 am
zero71 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:33 pm
I'm pretty surprised as my Campy cups slid right in a dream. Best check something isn't wrong, have you mic'd it up to check the diameter of BB and concentrity?
Press fit would be fine. I pressed the first half of mine in easily. But it's a Wheelsmfg thread together for press fit, so the other side threads into the cup pressed in on the drive side. The friction is just a bit too much to overcome with a ring spanner as it's such a tight fit. Hoping to get my socket bb tool tomorrow to try again.

ms6073

by ms6073

I had similar issues using a BBInfinite press-fit assembly as the tight fit was deforming the BBInfinite shell. Found that the inner diameter of the Colnago cups was a tad undersized, thus I opted to 'polish' a bit of material off the BBInfinite outer shell to ease the install. I have the Ceramic Speed T45 bottom bracket as a spare and will probably use that should the BBInfinite ever need replacement.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

zero71

by zero71

Damn. So now I have the BB in and the drive train on. My high limit screw on the etap front derailleur has seized and the hex is rounded. I'm not sure I can get that bolt out. Have ordered a thread tap kit as folk have had success using that. They don't make these any more, I hope I can fix it.

zero71

by zero71

Almost ready to ride - just need to swap over the pedals and pop in an M5 grub screw to the drilled out front mech so I can setup the high limit correctly (hopefully).