Hey, I'm Dmitry and this is my Cervelo P3 aero road bike- 6.99kgs/15.06lbs

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ehlpitel

by ehlpitel

Hey, I'm an aspiring weight weenie- just got into cycling last summer and fell in love with it- started out with a 2009 Trek 1.5 alloy road bike with Sora/Tiagra groupo, had a Klein Reve V, now I have the Trek 1.5, a 2016 Emonda SL that I'm going to build up, a 1999 5200 with a cracked chain-stay that's my trainer bike (planning to repair the carbon and build it up at some point b/c I loved how it rode before I noticed the crack), a 2008 Madone Pro 5.2 w/a cracked/messed up seat-tube and my newest build, the 2007 Cervelo P3 that I converted into a 1x aero road bike. Here's the build list below with weights where I have them written on my phone, some of them are written in my notebook at my workshop in my folks' house:
-56cm Cervelo P3 frame (1250 grams)
-AlphaQ carbon fork (310 grams)
-Sram Rival 1 shifters (302 grams)
-Sram Rival 1 long cage derailleur (275 grams as per the site- can't find pics of it on my scale)
-Ican 38mm deep carbon clinchers (1353 grams w/out skewers)
-Bontrager R3 tires (405~grams for both)
-Random tubes I had lying around- I think one was a light Bontrager one I had, the other was totally random that I had)
-Shimano Ultegra R6800 crank (172.5mm) with random Amazon 48 tooth chainring
-Look Classic 3 pedals- just got some of the "Chinaplay" pedals and installed them today, so we'll see how they turn out
-SunRace 11-42 cassette (405~ grams)
-Dura-Ace chain
-3T Aeronova knockoff carbon bars from Amazon- haven't weighed this set but the 40cm set I have on another bike (this one is 42cm) weighed I think in the 230s IIRC
-Amazon Ti skewers
-Apex brakes (280~ grams w/out pads! IDK, how they're that light but that's what my scale said and I weighed my 200gr metal calibration cylinder and it was on point so...)
-EC90 Ebay saddle (125~grams)
-Zipp Service Course 120mm -17
Not sure what else there is that I'm missing, I weigthed the bike at work today (I'm a rookie bike mechanic) and it was 6.99kgs/15.06lbs w/out pedals. With a different saddle and the Look Classic 3 pedals, it weighed 7.1kgs/15.6lbs. I have a set of Reynolds tubs that I just got that I'm putting tires on this weekend/the next couple of days and I'm considering getting an SROAD 11-42 cassette that'll knock the weight down like 110 or 120 grams- with the tubs, I might be able to get it under 14lbs which would be sick, especially for a 14 year old TT bike! Anyways, here's pics of the Cervelo in all her glory and if this thread gets any attention, I'll make an update with the tubs. Oh, and I adjusted the saddle angle after I took the pics and am rocking a different stem right now- 120mm -17 Zipp Service Course- I'm waiting on an EC90 carbon stem that has less of a drop b/c this bike is really aggressive- my alloy Trek is a 58cm and I ran it with a slammed 120mm stem that was usually either -7 or -17 and was fine with that and was comfy in the drops for extended periods of time- with the Cervelo, -17 with such a steep seat-tube angle is pretty brutal for me- I'm running a spacer and a tallish bearing cover until I get my new stem- I'll evaluate once I get it.
p3back.jpg
p3front.jpg
p3front-2.jpg
p3side.jpg
I also built the alloy Trek up to low 16s w/out pedals but with a Sensah SRX 1x drivetrain (SUPER heavy groupo, the shifters were over 500 grams and the long cage rear mech was something like 375 IIRC) and I have pics of that as well
20210225_225016.jpg

I have a 2016 Emonda SL rim brake frame that I bought kind of impulsively thinking that it was the "lightest production frame", not realizing that only applied to the SLRs. When I got the frame and weighed it, it was 1143 grams in a size 56- nothing to write home about. Since I'm able to get the P3 this light, I'll probably build the Emonda up with either a 1x Di2 groupo or I'll switch the Di2 stuff over to the Cervelo and build up a Rival/Force/Red 2x mechanical groupo with the Emonda.

Despite the fit still being worked out with the P3, I only got it two weeks ago and I'm absolutely loving it, it's just feels so fast- uphill, downhill, on the flats, all over the place. Oh, and the Reynolds are like 1140 grams and they're 46mm deep, so they're more aero than my current Icans while being lighter, so I'm really excited about getting them glued up and taking them for a ride.

So those are my pics and that's my build, hope everyone likes it or at least finds it interesting!

Casagrande

by Casagrande

Nice one, Dmitry. Surely an interesting build, quite different from many other builds here.
How much is the drop from the saddle to the handlebars? Looks huge on the pictures!
Looking forward to your updates
Carrera SL730 6.0kg
Bianchi Oltre XR4 7.5kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ehlpitel

by ehlpitel

Casagrande wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 11:04 am
Nice one, Dmitry. Surely an interesting build, quite different from many other builds here.
How much is the drop from the saddle to the handlebars? Looks huge on the pictures!
Looking forward to your updates
Thanks- appreciate the kind words. I just did a quick (probably not the most precise b/c I'm home right now and don't have a stiff tape meaure) measurement and it seems to be 19.5cm/7.67in- the drop right now is a tad less aggressive b/c I'm using a taller bearing cover and a spacer right now. It's definitely taking some getting used to plus I'm likely going to use a -6 stem instead of the -17 zipp I'm using right now. As fun as this bike is, I really like riding in the drops and that's something I'm determined to get dialed in on this bike to be comfortable.

I just put one of the new tubular wheels on yesterday and went on a 44 mile ride- it's a Reynolds DV46ULT- I got them used for a nice price and they got reubilt with an 11 speed hub- plus the rear wheel has a tire that's in good shape.This is my first set of tubs and I'm not sure what I expected with removing the old glue but it's REALLY *f##k* annoying. Oh well, I have 3 28mm Vittoria tubs at work that I can buy for cheap and I ordered a 22m Continental Sprinter with the Black Chili compound in case the 28mm VIttorias are too wide for a 14 year old TT bike lol.

I'm really excited for riding with both tubs on the bike- deeper AND lighter should be really fun- not to mention, I'm excited to see what it weighs- all things being equal, I'm hoping to hit 6.8kgs with the tubs, which would make me IMMENSELY happy. I think it would be really cool to have a 14 year old TT bike weighing under 15lbs- and that's leaving some weight on the table, b/c I don't even have the LIGHTEST low-hanging fruit on there- I can get a Kalloy Uno stem, I can get lighter handlebars, ti bolts, lighter crank (though that might be out of the cheap category), lighter cassette- which I'm intending to buy, pure carbon saddle (which I have but haven't mounted it on there b/c it's really *f##k* uncomfortable for me), lighter brakes and some potentialy 200g tubular tires.

Well, here's a pic with the new Reynolds rear wheel, I took the stickers off b/c, except in very rare circumstances, I much prefer the look of bare carbon. It also has the new 125~gram saddle which is actually pretty comfy and my 120mm -17 Zipp stem that's sitting on top of a 10mm spcaer as well as a tall-ish FSA bearing cover.
P3-apt.jpg
2014 Madone 5.9 w/R9100 shifters and R8000 everything else- using 38mm ICANs or 60/90 SuperTeams- 7.25kgs with the ICANs and Garmin Vector S dual sided PM pedals- not super light but not a dog, either!

Stefano

by Stefano

Very cool, nice to see some real creative WWing. Happy riding!