Kinesis Aithein Disc 2021 German/UK/Italian lovechild -7.99kg - target 7.6kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Pumablk

by Pumablk

I so want to write some long winded support of you, Welchy, but don't want to muddy up your tread. Love the bike and the purple looks great. Thanks for sharing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

welchy

by welchy

Arph wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 4:01 pm
welchy wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 3:08 pm
I wish the idiots who voted to leave could be banished to a deep deep pit so the rest of us who love Europe could get along.
Move to Scotland and wait. With love, from mainland Europe.

JUST KIDDING :mrgreen: :noidea: :arrow:
Pumablk wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 4:10 pm
I so want to write some long winded support of you, Welchy, but don't want to muddy up your tread. Love the bike and the purple looks great. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers guys!! Appreciated!!

But back to the thread - I have a new seatpost and everything, bikes and stuff yeh? :beerchug:

welchy

by welchy

Seatpost on and really happy with the way it looks, need to chop down the rear disc cable which is an effort I can't bring myself to do right now with the need to re-bleed the brakes.

Also waiting on the carbon hacksaw blade to arrive to chop the steerer down and really have it slammed. Then I'll be a happy camper.

But overall, bike is looking beautiful!
Attachments
AD808E7C-09B3-4367-AE8F-8A4A0BAD5E9B.jpeg
A96ADBB6-A505-4B22-9842-35836F314A8D.jpeg
9C22CA8C-666A-4DC3-9934-8755B1038B0D.jpeg
1C8ADC0E-E641-4F1E-88CE-8C1D3E022050.jpeg

synchronicity

by synchronicity

[ mod note: 2 week vacation - RyanH]

[Hi synchro, you've been temp banned for continuing after being asked to drop it.

Would like to have a meaningful discussion with you, but you need to give us space to have our say and be open to feedback. Currently you are speaking loudly and at length. This does not give us the impression you want to listen and discuss. This is why most people choose to ignore. If you are not willing to play ball then unfortunately my only recourse is to ignore you like everyone else.

Want to help, but it is not our style to engage in emotional disputes. Hope you understand. Our understanding is you used to be a very constructive member of the community, and we'd like to get back to that. - maxim]
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

themidge

by themidge

^ oh myyyyyyy this is a bike forum, you're spoiling the thread for everyone else :cry: .

Speaking of bikes, this might be the best Kinesis I've ever seen, great build! :thumbup:.

welchy

by welchy

themidge wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 2:09 am
^ oh myyyyyyy this is a bike forum, you're spoiling the thread for everyone else :cry: .

Speaking of bikes, this might be the best Kinesis I've ever seen, great build! :thumbup:.
I really can't say I've seen many kinesis builds on here, to be fair I totally didn't think about getting one until the Cinelli had to go back and I needed a stop gap. But I've been blown away by the quality and feel of the ride on it. The geometry is awesome for pushing it, I've been ripping lately on the road and think this has massively helped. I thought the Cinelli was pretty good, but in terms of pace this thing is miles ahead. I can't help but thinking maybe it's been too far gone since I've been on carbon and I need to go back to one after this. My venge and C60 were quick but feel this will be more of an all rounder. The problem is I'm so indecisive with bikes!

There's an element that likes the understatedness of the kinesis and brand, but the stronger part of me really longs for me to get on something more high end so I can be flashy. Pretty poor thinking on my behalf really as this bike as it is absolutely meets my needs :noidea:

themidge

by themidge

welchy wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 3:55 am
I really can't say I've seen many kinesis builds on here, to be fair I totally didn't think about getting one until the Cinelli had to go back and I needed a stop gap. But I've been blown away by the quality and feel of the ride on it. The geometry is awesome for pushing it, I've been ripping lately on the road and think this has massively helped. I thought the Cinelli was pretty good, but in terms of pace this thing is miles ahead. I can't help but thinking maybe it's been too far gone since I've been on carbon and I need to go back to one after this. My venge and C60 were quick but feel this will be more of an all rounder. The problem is I'm so indecisive with bikes!

There's an element that likes the understatedness of the kinesis and brand, but the stronger part of me really longs for me to get on something more high end so I can be flashy. Pretty poor thinking on my behalf really as this bike as it is absolutely meets my needs :noidea:
In real life I've most often seen them as various people's trusty winter bikes, which they seem to be quite popular for. Even though the Aithein has always been a pretty light frame it had never occured to me that someone would build one up so nicely, and it sounds like it's worth it. The paint definitely helps too, if I hadn't just googled it I'd have assumed it was custom, looks fab :D.

I'm tempted to go the opposite way regarding frame material - if my carbon supersix ever breaks beyond repair I'd love to try a really nice alloy frame like a Caad, Kinesis, Bowman, etc. It would be interesting to compare to my chunky alloy B'twin winter bike if nothing else!

welchy

by welchy

themidge wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 5:10 am
welchy wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 3:55 am

In real life I've most often seen them as various people's trusty winter bikes, which they seem to be quite popular for. Even though the Aithein has always been a pretty light frame it had never occured to me that someone would build one up so nicely, and it sounds like it's worth it. The paint definitely helps too, if I hadn't just googled it I'd have assumed it was custom, looks fab :D.

I'm tempted to go the opposite way regarding frame material - if my carbon supersix ever breaks beyond repair I'd love to try a really nice alloy frame like a Caad, Kinesis, Bowman, etc. It would be interesting to compare to my chunky alloy B'twin winter bike if nothing else!
Yeh, you're absolutely right - I've always seen them cropping up as solid winter bikes. I'm really keen on the paint, managed 28km/h avg with 1,313M climbing and 81 km in just under 3 hrs yesterday. Super comfortable through the Yorkshire dales which throw every terrain at you.

Only critique so far is the lack of clearance on the rear, I'm running a 28C which is totally fine and all I need, but it's already catching dirt etc and I think will wear a little on the bridge.

I'm partial to bikes that are a bit more hardy as I do a fair bit of travelling with the bike so although I am very careful in packing, makes my mind a bit easier knowing theres not carbon in the bike bag that a baggage handler will obliterate. If I could find a Titanium frame with the same/lighter weight and stiffness I'll go for that. But can't see anything at the moment that is taking me. Ideas?!

welchy

by welchy

Tubilitos arrived today, I can't get over 23grams. It's ludicrous!
72E0FDCC-99C6-4169-A639-EAF23F50C5E1.jpeg

Arph

by Arph

welchy wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 8:57 am
If I could find a Titanium frame with the same/lighter weight and stiffness I'll go for that. But can't see anything at the moment that is taking me. Ideas?!
Kinesis Ti ? Used to be called Granfondo, don't know the name now.

Here's mine, winter & crappy weather bike / fast commuter. It's a tad stripped apart now, as I have new cranks, wheels and bars for it. Seatpost has been changed for one that doesn't scream Bianchi (and has a good craddle, contrary to the sh*tty FSA SL-K).

synchronicity

by synchronicity

I enjoyed my two week ban for calling you out for whinging about Brexit. And I noticed your Brexit comments are still there, and even though you've changed them, you're still talking politics aren't you? So let's not forget the majority voted for Brexit. That's why you are now enjoying Brexit. Because that's how democracies work. But look on the bright side. The extra import tax you are now paying after Brexit can go towards housing and feeding all the illegal immigrants arriving from North Africa. I mean, someone's got to pay for them haven't they? I don't care if you are now having to pay more for bike parts. I expect I'll be permanently banned from the forum for voicing my opinion.
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

welchy

by welchy

8.08KGs

Schwalbe Aerothans arrive tonight hopefully, a few bolt changes and hopefully without much I can hit my target 7.8KGs

welchy

by welchy

Arph wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 2:57 pm
welchy wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 8:57 am
If I could find a Titanium frame with the same/lighter weight and stiffness I'll go for that. But can't see anything at the moment that is taking me. Ideas?!
Kinesis Ti ? Used to be called Granfondo, don't know the name now.

Here's mine, winter & crappy weather bike / fast commuter. It's a tad stripped apart now, as I have new cranks, wheels and bars for it. Seatpost has been changed for one that doesn't scream Bianchi (and has a good craddle, contrary to the sh*tty FSA SL-K).

Apologies, thought I'd replied! Love the Ti framesets. The only prob with the Kinesis Ti is the GEO is more relaxed. The HT on this one is too tall for me at the mo, if it was 10MM lower may be best but they sit up a wee bit too high for my liking for race times! I'll let you know as I'm in a crit tomorrow eve :)

Arph

by Arph

No worries :) It's definitely not a crit bike :) Geometry isn't that relax, but still higher indeed than a true racer. The 55,5 Kinesis is actually a cm longer (reach) than my 55 Bianchi Infinito, and a tad lower. It is very similar to the Pinarello Prince (recent / current one).
If you want titanium and a racing geometry, I'm afraid custom would be the route.

Recent pic while I am at it, with new wheels, a rear light on the carrier, Sram Red cranks + WheelsMFG angular contact BB, and a Syntace P6 HiFlex seatpost (that was already there but not on the previous pic). I just didn't have / take the time to change the bars.

Last edited by Arph on Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

welchy

by welchy

Arph wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:23 am
No worries :) It's definitely not a crit bike :) Geometry isn't that relax, but still higher indeed than a true racer. The 55,5 Kinesis is actually a cm longer (reach) than my 55 Bianchi Infinito, and a tad lower. It is very similar to the Pinarello Prince (recent / current one).
If you want titanium and a racing geometry, I'm afraid custom would be the route.

Recent pic while I am at it, with new wheels, a rear light on the carrier, Sram Red cranks + WheelsMFG angular contact BB, and a Syntace P6 HiFlex seatpost (that was already there but not on the previous pic). I just didn't have / take the time to change the bars.

For some reason it isn't working Arph, your totally right, length isn't bad for the Geo on Kinesis, it's the headtube height for me, I've got a Fizik 20 degree 120mm stem arriving to drop me some more which should hopefully assist! Do you have something instead you use for racier stuff - or is that the Bianchi?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com