My Aethos Build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

WouldLikeToBeLighter

by WouldLikeToBeLighter

Probably the first thing to say about my Aethos build is that it didn’t start out being an Aethos build. I had the itch for a new bike and using my man logic could justify a light bike as this was something I didn’t have in the current line up already. Having discussed it with my local bike shop we decided on the guiding principles; light but practical, by that I mean disc brakes, clincher/tubeless wheels and electric gearing.

We worked out the spec and components which included a custom-built frame and several parts modified by manufactures to be lighter than their standard products. Once the final spec was completed, deposit was paid and everything ordered. A number of parts, including the frameset, were ordered (by my LBS) through a specific UK distributor, along with a number of elements they ordered from other suppliers. Then covid struck and life was somewhat put on hold.

Towards the end of last summer things started easing a little and parts started showing up, there were still delays, especially on the frame which took far too long. Eventually the frame and fork arrived. The frame was specified to be 700 grams and the fork 270 grams. On arrival, or more specifically on the scales, the fame turned out to be 840 grams and the fork 390 grams, both massively over specified weight and not what was promised. They were returned, along with a number of other modified parts which turned out to be heavier than was specified/agreed typically between 10-25% heavier than promised.

This caused a bit of a rethink on the light bike and this is when it turned into my Aethos build. The Aethos frame hadn’t been announced/released when I started this project, hence it not being in the original plans.

The changes to the original spec included; frame, fork, seat post, bars, stem, saddle, bottom bracket, rotors and tyres.

The final spec was;
Frame Specialized Aethos 58cm
Fork Specialized Aethos 58cm
Headset Specialized Aethos supplied
steerer expander Tune xpanda alloy
top cap Tune 'cap' alloy cap - alloy screw
headset spacer Extralite
stem Darimo IX2 110mm
handlebar Darimo eclipse Road 40cm
handlebar tape Bike ribbon eolo
seatpost Darimo T2 25mm setback 350mm
seatpost clamp Darimo Sub4 seat clamp
saddle Gelu K-1
handlebar plugs Bike ribbon eolo
Shift/brake levers Sram Red AXS
front derailleur Sram Red AXS
rear derialleur Sram Red AXS
chain Sram D1 flattop
cassette Sram XG1290 10-28T
brake calipers Trickstuff C21 flat mount calipers
Front caliper mount + bolts Specialized Aethos supplied
Brake rotors Hope Race X2 Lightweight Floating 6 Bolt
rotor adapters front Bike Ahead centrelock adapters
rotor adapters rear Bike Ahead centrelock adapters
Crankset THM Clavicula
bottom bracket BBInfinite Ultra-lite road threaded external cup W2s Coated Ceramitech
Outer chainring Carbon-Ti X-Carboring 48t - AXS compatible - 110mm bcd
Inner chainring Carbon-Ti X-Carboring 35t - AXS compatible - 110mm bcd
Chainring bolts THM alloy ring bolts - Orange anodised
Chain catcher Chinese
Rear wheel Tune Schwarzbrenner 20 skyline disc - 28/28hole
Front wheel Tune Schwarzbrenner 20 skyline disc - 28/28hole
rim tape rear Tune high pressure tubeless
rim tape front Effetto Mariposa Caffelatex (ran out of Tune/not enought supplied)
thru-axles Specialized Aethos supplied
Tyre front Veloflex Corsa TLR
Tyre rear Veloflex Corsa TLR
Tubes front Tubolito s
Tubes rear Tubolito s
Bottle cage Carbonworks
Pedals Favero Assioma
Garmin mount Alpitude Darimo TBC

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Those orange bits are very nice! Maybe you can try find orange thru-axles? I wouldn't go for the Aethos just because of the sloping top tube but in this size it looks fine. Are the Trickstuff brakes significantly better than the Sram ones for you to go for them instead? And how is the Gelu saddle working for you (with the narrower width)?

WouldLikeToBeLighter

by WouldLikeToBeLighter

Kayrehn wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:26 pm
Those orange bits are very nice! Maybe you can try find orange thru-axles? I wouldn't go for the Aethos just because of the sloping top tube but in this size it looks fine. Are the Trickstuff brakes significantly better than the Sram ones for you to go for them instead? And how is the Gelu saddle working for you (with the narrower width)?
The thru-axles are the ones supplied with the Aethos frame, there were others that came with the origianl frame, but they were heavier (and also black) so they went back with it. Not sure if I'd be able to source a different set of thru-axles at <52g anodised orange - I may do a little research though.

The trickstuff calipers are great, no issues stopping. They were lighter than the Red AXS calipers, althought I don't have the exact numbers to hand there was a reasonable amount in it.

As for the Gelu saddle, that was the one question mark I had on the build. I use Fizik Arione saddles on my other bikes, so wasn't sure if I'd get on with no padding etc. As it turns out I needn't have worried, 100km completed today with no saddle discomfort at all. I was even thinking about swapping the saddles on my other bikes and then I realised what the cost would be and quickly stopped that idea.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Carbon-ti has lots of colour options, so check them out! Am happy that you got along well with the Gelu; I've got one coming soon and hope I'm equally agreeable with it coming from a Berk.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Lucendi

by Lucendi

Very nice build! I like the personal touches you put into it!

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Nice build.
One question I do not understand why you took the Veloflex Corsa Race TLR tyres while you are not riding tubeless.
According to the Veloflex website you could sane 25gr per tyre if you took the normal clincher version.

okMX

by okMX

Nice and interesting wheelset, how does it ride?

WouldLikeToBeLighter

by WouldLikeToBeLighter

bruno2000 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:45 am
Nice build.
One question I do not understand why you took the Veloflex Corsa Race TLR tyres while you are not riding tubeless.
According to the Veloflex website you could sane 25gr per tyre if you took the normal clincher version.
The rims are hookless, meaning it is necessary to run tubeless tyres either running them with tubes or as tubeless. 22g from tubolitlo tubes was much less than the weight of a tubeless setup.

I struggled to find a lighter tubeless tyre, the veloflex are around 228g, if anyone knows of a 25mm tubeless that is lighter then I'm all ears.

WouldLikeToBeLighter

by WouldLikeToBeLighter

okMX wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:09 pm
Nice and interesting wheelset, how does it ride?
The wheelset came in a 1098g, the spokes are CX-super, as opposed to CX-ray, making it lighter than the stock Tune version. I also have a set of deeper rims (Farsport) with DT Swiss 180 hubs for flatter outings, but without immediate back to back testing I'm not sure I'd easily be able to tell them apart by ride feel alone. I am planning on having the spoke nipples changed on the Farsport rims to orange as in comparison they look dull compared to the Tune wheels.

The bike rides really nicely, I've probably covered about 400km on it now, so still getting used to it. I ride time trials (obviously not in this bike) so a lot of my riding is training. I did wonder if the bike might seem delicate or fragile with the range of light components, but have found quite the opposite and have started using the Aethos for some of my higher power training sessions, on Thursday the session included 2min blocks at 400w which the bike handled as well as my Cipo or Scapin. Overall, it is impressive what can be achieved at such a low weight.

The overriding principle behind the bike was light but practical and I think that has been achieved. It has slotted into my collection of bikes and is getting used regularly in the same way any of the other would.

bruno2000

by bruno2000

WouldLikeToBeLighter wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 5:41 am
bruno2000 wrote:
Nice build.
The rims are hookless, meaning it is necessary to run tubeless tyres either running them with tubes or as tubeless. 22g from tubolitlo tubes was much less than the weight of a tubeless setup.

I struggled to find a lighter tubeless tyre, the veloflex are around 228g, if anyone knows of a 25mm tubeless that is lighter then I'm all ears.
Ok now I understande the tyre-choice.
According to their catalog, the Schwalbe Pro One TT is 220gr in 25mm.
Only 8gr per tyre but hey this is weightweenies' forum.

WouldLikeToBeLighter

by WouldLikeToBeLighter

bruno2000 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 9:32 am
WouldLikeToBeLighter wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 5:41 am
bruno2000 wrote:
Nice build.

Ok now I understande the tyre-choice.
According to their catalog, the Schwalbe Pro One TT is 220gr in 25mm.
Only 8gr per tyre but hey this is weightweenies' forum.
I must say that I am rather taken with gum sidewall tyres, I especially like contrast they add to an otherwise bare carbon bike.

p3p3nko

by p3p3nko

nicely build

any shifting problem with the sram-carbonti-thm combo?

Prawn

by Prawn

p3p3nko wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:50 am
nicely build

Exactly what I was wondering!

takolino

by takolino

You got some nice components on there. How do the sram levers handle the larger pistons of the C21? I have them paired to DA9170 and work really well.
Rene Herse 26 extralight are listed as 183g. Approved for hookless. I run mine with s tubo as well. I had the same rationale as you. I built up similar light clincher wheelset. Berd/Extralite/CB7. Same rims.

da123

by da123

Prawn wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:01 pm
p3p3nko wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:50 am
nicely build

Exactly what I was wondering!
Count me in for knowing this too! I've just completed two builds with Clavicula/Carbonti/SRAM AXS. Getting the front shifting sorted was a total PITA. I couldn't get it to work with the flattop chain. I've used the new KMC X12 (now compatible with AXS), which means it no longer dumps the chain over the top. I wouldn't describe it as bombproof by any stretch however

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com