Budget low kg roadbike

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Fubar

by Fubar

Hi all,

I want to buy a used bike with low kgs. Im 180cm and around 64 kgs. Living in The Netherlands. Hilly region. Im looking for a 5-7 kg roadbike. Found a old helium around 2011, specialized allez 2011 and a focus izalco team milram, cervelo r3. They are all sram red. What would be the best buy or are the others to look for? Cant find a good giant tcr or canyon. Does it matter a lot to have an alu frame like an allez? Had a tarmac, venge, bmc, canyon and ridley noah and helium so far.

Could you guys help me? :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stanvr

by stanvr

If you want to have a light bike, that you can upgrade to get even lighter, it's important to start out with a light frameset. If the weight is the only thing that matters, I would pick a bike with a lightweight carbon frame and fork. Everything else can be upgraded.
I have an alloy bike which is down to 6.8 now with picking a lot of lightweight components, but I think these components would make a sub 6 if it was a lightweight carbon frameset.
Therefore, the Izalco and Helium both sound good, I don't have experiences with either, so hard to tell what would be your best pick.

Fubar

by Fubar

Ah thanks, are there more really payable light framesets? :)

stanvr

by stanvr

Yes definitely, this forum is full of them haha. There are people running cheapish chinese frames, some of which very light. Being in the Netherlands, there might be a few Carrera's out there, which if I recall correctly are light and not that expensive. I think Rose has had a few good light carbon frames too. In general, the classic looking frames like the supersix/izalco/helium will be lighter than the early generations of aero bikes.

Depending on the area where you are in the Netherlands (and the covid regulations), looking in Belgium and Germany on second hand sites will be worth it too.

Fubar

by Fubar

Ah thanks. Yes i did. Not yet to the brand Carrera. Rose Red bull?

Fubar

by Fubar

Is a wilier gtr team a light frame?

sychen

by sychen

Maybe look for a Cannondale supersix evo (hi mod even better) pre 2019.. Aka the traditional looking frame versions without the dropped seatstays.

Not sure about 2nd hand prices in your area but there should be a few around as they were popular hillclimb bikes due to their weight. Locally there is a sub6kg for sale at $2k AUD.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Fubar

by Fubar

Thanks :) So and old supersux from 2015 will do as well? Or maybe other frames that arent mentioned? Its okay if they are older. Like 5 or 10 years.

Is this a good one:

Ridley Helium maat M Sram Red
Bieden
https://link.marktplaats.nl/m1692309539 ... ialbuttons
Last edited by Fubar on Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

sychen

by sychen

Fubar wrote:Thanks :) So and old supersux from 2015 will do as well? Or maybe other frames that arent mentioned? Its okay if they are older. Like 5 or 10 years.
2015 to 2019 was the last version of that design I believe... Pretty sure the version before that was also lasted about 3 to 4 yrs and the similar weight for the hi mod version.. Might of been 50 to 100g more.

Have a look at the old reviews should have the frame weight under 800g for a 2015.

I'm gona refrain from making New Zealand / kiwi jokes about the supersux... :)

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Fubar

by Fubar

Its hard to find anything besides: supersix helium, focus and cervelo, and giant tcr....

Found the allez, white one. With sram red. Is that a good choice? Or go for a carbon frame? Could the allez be 7 kgs like the seller said?

https://www.2dehands.be/a/fietsen-en-br ... b9c5b7a618

GS100

by GS100

I know you say you can't find a TCR but if one does come up, that would be a great platform w/ isp - very light and stiff for it's time. Differences between carbon frames of the same era are never going to be great though. Avoid aluminium if weight is priority. Weight savings can be quite significant from components, e.g. tubular wheels w/ light tyres, lighter expander plug, pedals/ ti axles, carbon saddle - would be my priorities. Something like full Red 22 mechanical would have a significant savings too.

Fubar

by Fubar

That sounds great. But can you maybe show me a giant tcr too look for? On google? Is that with or without isp? And what years? Giant tcr advanced sl? Or just giant tcr?

Would like to find one with sram red..... these are not -->

Like this one:

Giant Full Carbon Racefiets | Dura Ace 2x10 | Maat 54
€ 650,00
https://link.marktplaats.nl/m1692760256 ... ialbuttons

Or this one:

Giant TCR 0 Full Ultegra Nieuwe wielset !
€ 749,00
https://link.marktplaats.nl/m1691512954 ... ialbuttons

Argon18 Gallium Pro maat 54-55 Carbon
€ 1.250,00
https://link.marktplaats.nl/m1688131709 ... ialbuttons

GS100

by GS100

Plenty on Ebay - the TCR Advanced SL is the one with the integrated seat post and the highest grade of carbon, together with the compact frame design means class leading stiffness to weight. You can get a little lighter but at significant cost to stiffness.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... cat=177831

Substantial design change for 2016 model year, shedding weight further, though my 2015 was a great frame too and is pretty light at around 6.8kg in size large.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fubar

by Fubar

Ah thanks. So the one with the red handlebars is the good one?

And what about the other bikes? Are they any good?