Project 7.5 (update on p.6)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

$mokeyJoe wrote:Anyone other suggestions for some weight dropping?Tips are always welcome.I still have to shave like 100g for reaching my goal

If you want - I can drill a big hole in your frame! Should save you about 150 grams and I will do it for free :-D

cool bike ;-)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nicolas

by Nicolas

It appears that your frame is bottom pull so you can use a roadie FD. A record FD with aramid derailleur clamp. 53,5+8,5g = 62 g. That's around 60-70 g depending on how much your XTR weighs. The cost is 224 euro shipping not included from B-T-P. :)
Think, type, speak... In that order...

Slobberdoggy

by Slobberdoggy

:goodpost: :smartass:

I don't know why I didn't think of that that but I have always wanted to use the "goodpost" emmocon.

Nicolas

by Nicolas

File off the disc tabs on frame and fork as well about 10-15 grams?
And shorten the Nokon for the rear brake a bit too long for me and it's free weight savings. 5-10 grams
Skip the Polar Mount and mount it the old fashion way using the strap.
You loose 14 grams depending on the model.

A minimum of 29 grams saved... on top of the 60-70 gram saved from the FD :twisted: 89 grams now this is weight weenies :twinkle:

Ohh have your changed the bolt in your eggbeaters to alu? :D
Last edited by Nicolas on Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Think, type, speak... In that order...

GuNKiLLaH
Shop Owner

by GuNKiLLaH

Joe, remove the POLAR holder, you can use a piece of rubber and tight the clock very hard to the handlebar, dunno if It's a great way to hold the polar, but will shave some g's.

You were talking about unrideable tires, have u ever tried minotaur 380g? I tested It last weekend and It ROCKS for FIREROADS and LOOSE TERRAIN.

By the way how the heck can you all CLIMB with those tiny cassetes? Here in Brazil It's almost impossible to get your mountain bike out of the garage without a 32 cassete on the rear wheel and most of riders use 11-34. I use 11-32 but I'm a kind of a spinner, If I was a smasher I could use a little cassete too I think.
MY YOUTUBE Channel - Helmet Cams, Notubes Working, XC Riding in Brazil.
My 9.050g Epic S-Works with custom paintjob & my CX bike

GuNKiLLaH
Shop Owner

by GuNKiLLaH

Nicolas wrote:Skip the Polar Mount and mount it the old fashion way using the strap.
14 grams depending on the model.

ops, Nicolas was faster.
MY YOUTUBE Channel - Helmet Cams, Notubes Working, XC Riding in Brazil.
My 9.050g Epic S-Works with custom paintjob & my CX bike

scapin

by scapin

Mads Kock wrote:
$mokeyJoe wrote:Anyone other suggestions for some weight dropping?Tips are always welcome.I still have to shave like 100g for reaching my goal

If you want - I can drill a big hole in your frame! Should save you about 150 grams and I will do it for free :-D

cool bike ;-)

Noooo, a lot of little holes save much grams! :wink: :lol:

CCR

by CCR

maybe you can buy a carbon sid steerer saw it for 263e
Did you allready cut the post as i suggested? :D
Sand the legs and put a white glossy paint on it
and maybe and accent of uci colours like on the bike?
only suggestions

grtz

Hi|ikus

by Hi|ikus

A lovely bike you have there Joe. I'm thinking of doing a build with the same frame. You mentioned in an earlier post that the bike flexes a little. I'm just wondering if you knew the chain stays were designed to flex a little (think a WW version of the Cannondale Scalpel, but like 5mm travel)? I've test ridden a Specialized S-Works Carbon HT, a Scott Scale 10 and a 2006 Merida Carbon Team and the Merida was by far the most comfortable, due to the "Flex Stays" as Merida calls them. This is the reason I'm choosing the Merida frame over a Scale.
Last edited by Hi|ikus on Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

$mokeyJoe

by $mokeyJoe

Hi guys,

I'm happy but not satisfied yet...Reason?The bike has lost some more weight,but i still have to loose 230g on it!What did i change lately.
Wheels
I've changed them to some Tune Skylines MTB '06 28H
Image Image
I preffered blue hubs like my other Tunes,but Tune doesn't make any blue Skyline hubs...I run them with Stans NoTubes.Just the "yellow" tape and an olympic valve.Lets' see if it holds air till tomorrow! :? I hope so...
Grips
Grips were changed to some ProCraft Superlite
And this is how they look on the bike.
Brakes
Brakes were changed from some Avid Mags that were tuned with alu bolts,to some Extralite Ultrabrakes.I've the impression that they're a bit more flexier than the Mags,but i don't think that i've lost some performance.Anyway nothing noticable.The minor side of the use of these brakes:watch out with the position of the Ti tension liner with your bike's brake/der. clamps!In the rear part,the Ti tension liner from the brakes touch those clamps.It doesn't bother the working of the brakes,but first i thought it wouldn't be possible to mount them.
Saddle
From Speedneedle Marathon to Tune Concorde MTB.About that creaking that everyone claims,do you know that the adviced torque setting is 8 to 13Nm!!I've been torqueing till 7.5Nm and now it has stopped creaking.Don't forget to grease the bolts!
And here some more pics:
Like you can see,there's some more work to do,but i'm kinda happy.
Just got to get thinking what will be next...
Greetings,
$mokeyJoe
*Light is beautiful*
BMC SLC01 5900g ... Litespeed Vortex 6300g ... Merida Carbon Lite 7000g ... Velocite Selene 8000g ... Argon18 E114 +/-8500g ... Trek 1500 9500g

Slobberdoggy

by Slobberdoggy

Awesome build, awesome hubs!. I think you'll find the concord more comfortable then the speedneedle. Let us know how everything works.

cheers!

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

no no - don't be happy yet :twinkle: but as said before - nice looking bike! Not so crazy about the blue crankset!

Suggestions:

trim that rear derailleur cage - don't need a long cage for that cassette,
road front derailleur - campagnolo record should be the lightest,
titanium bolt-on's - should save some grams over your tune.

Motaro

by Motaro

and now is time to tune your sid to 900gr :wink: :D

look very nice Q where do you buy your tune hubs ? and how long it take to get time
finaly found my old Username robin v berkel so i wil log on that and not on this one if you wand to Pm me PM robin v berkel

Tim

by Tim

please change the front der.
a campa record with a light clamp and some alu bolts weights less then 70grams complete and would save over 50grams for you dude!

you have a downpull frame so you should really replace the der.

If you will use tripple crankset, take a tripple road der and you will still save 35-40 grams w/o problems.
Last edited by Tim on Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Willier

by Willier

Remove caps from tubes valves :!:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com