Rejuvenated Scott Foil Mk. I

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Hi Neeb (or anyone else who can comment) I'm also doing up a Foil, same model.

I have a question about the cable guides, which I'm hoping to get some help with.

The frame I purchased (2nd hand), came with what I thought were the wrong cable guides, as there's definitely some friction in the braking, possibly shifting. Taking them apart, they look like this
20220330_231155.jpg
So I ordered some from the shop and got the same thing
Screenshot_20220429-112845_Gallery.jpg
Whereas an online search turns up these
Screenshot_20220429-103417_Chrome.jpg
Do you remember what yours look like?
Wondering if the distributor over here made a mistake, or there's 2 simultaneous versions for the Foil, or one is an older model.

R2 list the first type, Bke24 list the 2nd type. Both shops only include the first part of the serial number, both listed as 219584. Part number on mine is 219584-222.

TIA
Kurt

Omiar

by Omiar

The last image seems odd. The cable guides were not that long and didn't narrow that much at the bottom.
But it might be that some later stock is a bit different.
My local dealer uses the same 3rd image which have the odd ones.

Anyway, there have been other high end Scott frames which need a bit filing to have good braking/shifting.
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Omiar wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:50 am
....Anyway, there have been other high end Scott frames which need a bit filing to have good braking/shifting.
That's a bit disappointing to be honest. Any links to photos or explanations you could send me to?

When I recable I'll get some photos, but I remember at least one of the stops for the brakes had worn down from cable rub. I had the impression that the stops weren't aligned with the geometry of the frame, and that the cable had cut through the last bit of the stop to travel in a straight line.

neeb

by neeb

Mine were/are definitely like the first two and not the third image.

However - the ones that came with the frame originally were all plastic. One of these actually broke in use after a few years, making the rear brake suddenly non-functional... The replacements Scott sent me were made of aluminium.

You definitely want the two guides / plugs for the rear brake to be metal, not plastic. The front brake cable isn't internally routed so doesn't need any, obviously.

When I had the frame resprayed I had the holes for the gear cable guides filled in and painted over as I was converting the frame to fully electrionic (they now just appear as little bumps near the top of the down tube on either side due to the way they were designed as sculptured elements in the frame). Rather than routing the EPS electronic cable through one of the gear cable holes I cut a tiny slot with a fine hacksaw in the front of the hole in the frame that takes the rear brake cable guide. This allows the rear brake cable and the EPS cable to use the same hole:

<edit> if memory serves I did find the cables slightly friction-prone when I ran the bike with mechanical shifting..

Omiar

by Omiar

Kurt1980 wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:40 pm
Omiar wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:50 am
....Anyway, there have been other high end Scott frames which need a bit filing to have good braking/shifting.
That's a bit disappointing to be honest. Any links to photos or explanations you could send me to?

When I recable I'll get some photos, but I remember at least one of the stops for the brakes had worn down from cable rub. I had the impression that the stops weren't aligned with the geometry of the frame, and that the cable had cut through the last bit of the stop to travel in a straight line.
First gen 29" Spark FS. Im mostly referring to some minor details which you can detect if you have (a mechanic) with good experience with the same frameset.
I dont remember anything being wildly out of place although the finish before paint was rubbish on my first model year 1st gen Foil.
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

liam7020

by liam7020

Totally gorgeous!
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

neeb

by neeb

Thanks! In fact I've tweaked it a bit - I decided that the orange highlights were a little distracting. Now has plain black EEs, skewers etc.

This picture with the Bora WTO 45s, but I still have the 60s too:

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Basso Diamante super record EPS 12
BMC slr01 ultegra Di2

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Still a stunning bike ... really great with these Bora wheels.

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

neeb wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:20 pm
Mine were/are definitely like the first two and not the third image.

However - the ones that came with the frame originally were all plastic. One of these actually broke in use after a few years, making the rear brake suddenly non-functional... The replacements Scott sent me were made of aluminium.

You definitely want the two guides / plugs for the rear brake to be metal, not plastic. The front brake cable isn't internally routed so doesn't need any, obviously.

When I had the frame resprayed I had the holes for the gear cable guides filled in and painted over as I was converting the frame to fully electrionic (they now just appear as little bumps near the top of the down tube on either side due to the way they were designed as sculptured elements in the frame). Rather than routing the EPS electronic cable through one of the gear cable holes I cut a tiny slot with a fine hacksaw in the front of the hole in the frame that takes the rear brake cable guide. This allows the rear brake cable and the EPS cable to use the same hole:

<edit> if memory serves I did find the cables slightly friction-prone when I ran the bike with mechanical shifting..
Thanks Neeb, appreciated!

NiloCoppi

by NiloCoppi

Beautiful bike!