BenScott's Factor o2

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

kode54

by kode54

Attermann wrote:Be careful with the sectors, my experience is they have poor wet weather grip. Had a front washout I haven't had since or before.
Yeah. I’m aware of that. Had a similar experience with Michelin Pro3 (or maybe it was Pro4). Hit run off rain on downhill a curve years ago, felt like I hit black ice (it was in June) and entire bike slid out. Luckily, I landed in a soft embankment full of grass. Scared the sh*t out of me.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kode54

by kode54

Erwin wrote:
kode54 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:33 pm
@BenScott. If you haven’t already, you can order the direct Mount hanger for your rear mech from Factor. I didn’t know they were available but I did ask last year and have been using them for sometime now.
I would like the DM hanger too. But they are not available at the moment. Have written with Rob Gitelis and he promised to write me an email if they are available again.
How do you like the Kogel cage with oversized pully wheel? Can you compare it to Ceramicspeed OSPW?
I had to replace the cage since I ran over some debris in the fall leaves…branch was hidden under some leaves. I can’t compare the two OSPW systems but the Kolossos is fairly nice. No side to side slop on the wheels and spins nice. I like them as an upgrade replacement to the 9170 cage.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

Erwin wrote:
kode54 wrote:
@BenScott. If you haven’t already, you can order the direct Mount hanger for your rear mech from Factor. I didn’t know they were available but I did ask last year and have been using them for sometime now.
I would like the DM hanger too. But they are not available at the moment. Have written with Rob Gitelis and he promised to write me an email if they are available again.
How do you like the Kogel cage with oversized pully wheel? Can you compare it to Ceramicspeed OSPW?
Shame about the DM hanger. I put one on my Factor LS as well. Same dropout. Factor doesn’t even mention that they make these which I find odd.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

BenScott144

by BenScott144

Small update:

- LB AR46 Carbon-ti wheels ordered !

- ELITA ONE seatpost arrived, but it doesn't sit so well with the s-works saddle rail, so won't be using that. (Still on the hunt for a seatpost, hoping the cash saved in wheels allows me to find a good one)

BenScott144

by BenScott144

Weighed today, 7.2kg!
Not as light as I was hoping but still not toooo bad.
Forgot to weigh the wheels before I put the tyres on.
I think a couple components are heavier than my original estimate at 6.2kg (heavier stem, seat tube).
And I forgot to account for the cassette.
Rear skewer also isn't my titanium one as I seem to have lost it, so new one on order!

That still leaves about 700g of unaccounted for weight... some head scratching to be done as to where I've left some lead in the frame

Knightyboy27

by Knightyboy27

BenScott144 wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:27 pm
Weighed today, 7.2kg!
Not as light as I was hoping but still not toooo bad.
Forgot to weigh the wheels before I put the tyres on.
I think a couple components are heavier than my original estimate at 6.2kg (heavier stem, seat tube).
And I forgot to account for the cassette.
Rear skewer also isn't my titanium one as I seem to have lost it, so new one on order!

That still leaves about 700g of unaccounted for weight... some head scratching to be done as to where I've left some lead in the frame
To give you some insight,I have mine built up to 6.2kg.

A few areas that I have saved weight over your setup:

Dura ace shifters and rear derailleur
SRAM red cassette
USE ultimate evil seat post
Bontrager xxx saddle
EE brakes
Easton EC90SL crankset
Tubolito tubes (you haven't listed what you're using so not sure if these are lighter than you have)

BenScott144

by BenScott144

Thanks!
Which frame is yours? Same as mine or direct mount brakes?

I'm going to chop my seatpost down a little, but it was only 190g to start (I know there are lighter ones).

No tubes here, just sealant.

Thinking I'll take the wheels off later and weigh, to compare that vs. My estimate for the wheels.
Then I also know how much weight gain is in the wheel systems vs. The bike

Knightyboy27

by Knightyboy27

BenScott144 wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:16 pm
Thanks!

I'm going to chop my seatpost down a little, but it was only 190g to start (I know there are lighter ones).

Thinking I'll take the wheels off later and weigh, to compare that vs. My estimate for the wheels.
Mine is the newest version with DM brakes and a Vista studio paint job (primarily clear coat with white accents) in a 56 so perhaps a bit of savings there as well.

I have Bontrager XXX4 wheels and the Black inc barstem so could save a chunk on those if I desperately wanted to.

BenScott144

by BenScott144

Knightyboy27 wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:02 pm
BenScott144 wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:16 pm
Thanks!

Mine is the newest version with DM brakes and a Vista studio paint job (primarily clear coat with white accents) in a 56 so perhaps a bit of savings there as well.

I have Bontrager XXX4 wheels and the Black inc barstem so could save a chunk on those if I desperately wanted to.
Ah, yeah I think that frameset is lighter too, and the paint job like you say.
Yes I could also save quite a bit in bar/stem, but I'd like to try this super stuff setup as I've had my eye on it for a while (also hopefully aero).

CR987

by CR987

kode54 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 11:13 am
Erwin wrote:
kode54 wrote:
Shame about the DM hanger. I put one on my Factor LS as well. Same dropout. Factor doesn’t even mention that they make these which I find odd.
What are the pros and cons of the DM hanger?

kode54

by kode54

Lighter? This is weightweenies after all.

It gets rid of the extra link. Image
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

BenScott144

by BenScott144

Note the direct mount rear deraillieur is for the disc brake model only (confirmed from Factor UK)

San Marco

by San Marco

BenScott144 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:28 am
I had the Zip pweight wrong, that was for the disc wheels.

I've narrowed it down to:
Mavic Cosmic SLR40 (40mm deep, 1390g, £1650)
LightBicycles R45 Carbon ti (45mm deep, 1400g, £977 + import)

Both have a big weight (LB from China, import etc. and Mavic just aren't available until May at the earliest), decisions decisions.....

The Fulcrum 40C are in stock now, but are more money, uglier, and not Tubeless compatible.

My other thought is to get Parcours to build me some Grimpeurs but on DT 240S hubs, or just take them as they are!

OK, maybe I haven't really narrowed it down
The Mavic's have a quality and an understated aesthetic to them, hubs are great and they ride lovely but and it's a big BUT, check that you can put the tyres you want to use on them first as they are a nightmare mounting basically anything except Mavic's own tyres and imo are rubbish.

BenScott144

by BenScott144

San Marco wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:56 pm
BenScott144 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:28 am
I had the Zip pweight wrong, that was for the disc wheels.

I've narrowed it down to:
Mavic Cosmic SLR40 (40mm deep, 1390g, £1650)
LightBicycles R45 Carbon ti (45mm deep, 1400g, £977 + import)

Both have a big weight (LB from China, import etc. and Mavic just aren't available until May at the earliest), decisions decisions.....

The Fulcrum 40C are in stock now, but are more money, uglier, and not Tubeless compatible.

My other thought is to get Parcours to build me some Grimpeurs but on DT 240S hubs, or just take them as they are!

OK, maybe I haven't really narrowed it down
The Mavic's have a quality and an understated aesthetic to them, hubs are great and they ride lovely but and it's a big BUT, check that you can put the tyres you want to use on them first as they are a nightmare mounting basically anything except Mavic's own tyres and imo are rubbish.
Thanks :) I went for the LightBicycles in the end after all the positive reviews on here

MattMay

by MattMay

Hey@knightyboy27, not to derail this thread, but how did you set up your bb and ec90sl cranks? Did you stick with ceramicspeed bb or go one-piece like Ben? (Bbinfinite just came out with their one piece to fit this frame.) And what spacers etc? I just took delivery of a custom frame too and trying to figure out that whole area.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com