Specialized Diverge Comp Carbon w/ Power2Max crank @ 9.1 kg (Gravelbike)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

TimW

by TimW

Not a Spec fan norrmally but this is really nice.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dubadai

by Dubadai

This is probably my favourite looking bike - ever! I even ordered one in this exact same colorway after seeing your posts!

Just one question though, I am planning to run 50/34 up front, which should be the official max. Do you by any chance have images on chainring clearance with the setup you have today? Would be super appreciated!
S-Works Venge 2020
S-works Aethos
Specialized Diverge 2021

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

This looks really cool, congrats!

I would also change the bottle cages to something less noticable. The paintjob and complete look of the bike needs to grab te attention, not them bottle cages. I'd mount something subtle shiny black.
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook

justRideIt

by justRideIt

Ritsuke wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:10 am
This looks really cool, congrats!

I would also change the bottle cages to something less noticable. The paintjob and complete look of the bike needs to grab te attention, not them bottle cages. I'd mount something subtle shiny black.
Thanks! I agree with the paintjob not needing additional colors on any accessories.

Example: I put on some two-color Supacaz bar tape and it was way too much. Back to black bar tape.
Reg. bottle cages: I'm not satisfied with the Supacaz ones. They lose the paint very quickly and the blank alloy comes through, especially where the bottle slides in and out and with all the grit and dust collected offroad. Look quite rubbish now after 2.000 km.
2020 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Disc @ 6.35-ish kg: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=159454
2021 Specialized Diverge viewtopic.php?f=10&t=165482

justRideIt

by justRideIt

Dubadai wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:16 am
This is probably my favourite looking bike - ever! I even ordered one in this exact same colorway after seeing your posts!

Just one question though, I am planning to run 50/34 up front, which should be the official max. Do you by any chance have images on chainring clearance with the setup you have today? Would be super appreciated!
Nice feedback, glad you got inspired & congrats to your n+1 :D
What is the current lead time on it? Hope you can hop onto it soon.

Reg. chainrings: with the Power2Max I am running 46/30.
Not sure which pictures would help you. I guess between large chainring and chainstay?
See picture below. 50/34 chainrings should fit.

As a side note: depending on your power-to-weight ratio and what kind of riding you do, from my experience and legs 50/34 can mean pushing quite a hard gear.
Example: Currently I ride at 4.4 W/kg FTP and I'd say I often ride the Diverge more like an old-school MTB than a roadbike. So when climbing technical, steep trails (roots, stones, loose surfaces and deep into double-digit gradients) I would not want to be spinning 34x34.

But maybe for your application 50/34 is fine, just a tip.

Dubadai

by Dubadai

Thanks for the quick reply! Looks like plenty of space for 50/34 (which is the official max). On my 3T Exploro there is literally 1,5mm space between chainring and the chainstay, but Spesh seems to have plenty more space :)

Thanks for the tip! I am one of those roadies who are slowly going over to riding some gravel to get away from cars, so riding pretty flat terrain with rolling hills, nothing too gnarly, mostly z2 rides to get some fresh air and less tarmac :D Tried MTB and sold the bike within 2 months since i almost killed myself every single ride haha.

Have you ridden it with road wheels on at all, or just with the wheels in the photos?

Btw, how badly have the bottle cages been with all the grime that you mentioned in your previous post? I really liked them, but it seems like its only you and me that fancies them haha.

Lead time on the bike was none actaully, I live in Sweden but ordered it from a German site (bike-components) and they had it in stock - size 56!
justRideIt wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:11 pm
Dubadai wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:16 am

Nice feedback, glad you got inspired & congrats to your n+1 :D
What is the current lead time on it? Hope you can hop onto it soon.

Reg. chainrings: with the Power2Max I am running 46/30.
Not sure which pictures would help you. I guess between large chainring and chainstay?
See picture below. 50/34 chainrings should fit.

As a side note: depending on your power-to-weight ratio and what kind of riding you do, from my experience and legs 50/34 can mean pushing quite a hard gear.
Example: Currently I ride at 4.4 W/kg FTP and I'd say I often ride the Diverge more like an old-school MTB than a roadbike. So when climbing technical, steep trails (roots, stones, loose surfaces and deep into double-digit gradients) I would not want to be spinning 34x34.

But maybe for your application 50/34 is fine, just a tip.

S-Works Venge 2020
S-works Aethos
Specialized Diverge 2021

justRideIt

by justRideIt

Dubadai wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:17 pm
Have you ridden it with road wheels on at all, or just with the wheels in the photos?

Btw, how badly have the bottle cages been with all the grime that you mentioned in your previous post? I really liked them, but it seems like its only you and me that fancies them haha.
As you know from your order, the bike comes with DT Swiss G540 alloy rims, which are relatively heavy.

Total weight for 28" rideable stock wheelset (incl. 38mm Pathfinder Pro tires, valves, sealant, 11-34 cassette, Ultegra rotors etc.) was front 1.585g + rear 2.070g = 3.655g.
The 27,5" DT Swiss GRC 1400 rideable wheelset (incl. much wider 2.2" (=55mm) Continental Speed Kings and XT rotors) comes in at 1.385g + 1.847g = 3.232g.

So over 420g weight savings while increasing off-road grip, much improved comfort level due to lower tire pressure (22 PSI = 1.5 bar) and - most importantly - looks! :D

I rode the stock G540 for the first two rides and then put them into storage once the GRC 1400 arrived.
I will run the G540 as winter wheels (in combination with fenders :shock: ).

Regarding bottle cages: for 45€ each I would not buy them again. This is how they look now after 2.000km. You don't see the scratches when a bottle is inserted, but still does not look nice.

Dubadai

by Dubadai

Awesome :D I have the GR1600, so about 180g heavier than the carbon ones you have, planning on running the Continental Terra Speed 40mm which are 400g each, dont know what the total would be, but hopefully not too bad!

The stock wheels I am either selling straight away, or like you, keeping for worse days :D

Hmm, i see what you mean regarding the bottle cages... there is just something I really like about them, made the whole bike pop a bit. Usually run the matt black holders from Specialized, they are like 20 euro...

Would be interesting to see how light the bike would be with some Alpinist CLX or CL wheelsets, might be planning to have this bike as my travel bike for the mountains as well... I hate having too many bikes so planning on selling my 3T RaceMax once this one comes :D

Btw, those wheels and tyres look AMAZING on the bike... so jealous of the wheelset, but having a hard time justifying the cost for a 650b wheelset... Maybe if I get a lightweight gravel wheelset in 700c that I can use for other stuff as well :D
justRideIt wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:27 am
As you know from your order, the bike comes with DT Swiss G540 alloy rims, which are relatively heavy.

Total weight for 28" rideable stock wheelset (incl. 38mm Pathfinder Pro tires, valves, sealant, 11-34 cassette, Ultegra rotors etc.) was front 1.585g + rear 2.070g = 3.655g.
The 27,5" DT Swiss GRC 1400 rideable wheelset (incl. much wider 2.2" (=55mm) Continental Speed Kings and XT rotors) comes in at 1.385g + 1.847g = 3.232g.

So over 420g weight savings while increasing off-road grip, much improved comfort level due to lower tire pressure (22 PSI = 1.5 bar) and - most importantly - looks! :D

I rode the stock G540 for the first two rides and then put them into storage once the GRC 1400 arrived.
I will run the G540 as winter wheels (in combination with fenders :shock: ).

Regarding bottle cages: for 45€ each I would not buy them again. This is how they look now after 2.000km. You don't see the scratches when a bottle is inserted, but still does not look nice.

S-Works Venge 2020
S-works Aethos
Specialized Diverge 2021

nequalsone

by nequalsone

Hi

Do you think that a Stages Power meter on the left crankarm fit?

It was hard to find any good pictures of the non drive side on the interwebs.

https://support.stagescycling.com/en/su ... n-my-bike-

justRideIt

by justRideIt

nequalsone wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:43 pm
Hi

Do you think that a Stages Power meter on the left crankarm fit?

It was hard to find any good pictures of the non drive side on the interwebs.

https://support.stagescycling.com/en/su ... n-my-bike-
I think it should fit:

Omiar

by Omiar

Stages road cranks will probably not fit. Stages GRX will fit but you will have very little clearance, probably around 2mm.
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

nequalsone

by nequalsone

Thanks! I also have a Quarq as a bail out option 🙂

BaseSmiles

by BaseSmiles

GRX with a 4iiii LH power meter has plenty of clearance, not sure how it compares to Stages :)
IMG_7859.jpg

justRideIt

by justRideIt

Short update.
I was curious to see what the Diverge looks like with black carbon bottle cages as recommended here. Decision fell upon Tune Wasserträger 2.0 which weigh ~10g each. On my road bike I've ridden 8g Carbonworks bottle cages without any issues for 15.000 km, but did not want to use them offroad on rough stuff. The Wasserträger feels sturdier.

I have to agree with the Weight Weenies crowd: black accessories overall make the frame's paint job pop even more :thumbup:

Furthermore, I swapped
  • the stock handlebars (400mm Specialized Alloy Hover with 15mm rise (293g))
  • to 400mm Zipp Ergo 70 SL Carbon without rise (211g).
Combined with the Zipp Service Course bar tape I got the cockpit weight down by ~100g.
Total weight incl. XTR pedals and Tune bottle cages now at 9.1 kg.

The Zipp bars are not flared like the Specialized bars.
When I am bombing down gravel or singletrails in the drops, I reach into and forward in the drops to be ready to brake. So I never really used the flared-out part of the drops for "more control". Also not a fan of the outward angle they put on the STI levers, which in my opinion compromises ergonomics.

Besides the saved weight, I prefer to ride carbon handlebars since they do not feel as harsh as the alloy ones. Combined with the Future Shock the cockpit feels like surfing clouds :D

Also the flat handlebar without 15mm rise results in a better bike fit for me.
The stock Diverge Comp Carbon with the 70mm -6° stem + 15mm riser bars was way too short and high for my liking (=lower back issues).
With the 90mm Extralite Hyperstem angled at -12° and the non-riser bars I feel much more "at home" = makes switching between Tarmac SL6 and Diverge more seamless.

Additionally replaced the spare tube I carry in the SWAT compartment from a Continental 27.5" at 145g to a Schwalbe Aerothan at 86g --> 59g saved. Hopefully I will never need the Aerothan. Continental Speed Kings set up tubeless holding up perfectly until now (although not tubeless-rated by Continental)!

Overall very happy with the Diverge after 2.500km since mid February. Very likely I will spend much more time on dirt than on roads in 2021 :D

justRideIt

by justRideIt

Update - replaced the tires:

Although the Continental Speed Kings were blazingly fast on tarmac (the Diverge felt like a magic carpet roadbike), they were way too sketchy on trails, both when wet (duh!) but also on loose dry surfaces.
No area of forgiveness, no indication they are about to slide out... and when they did slide out, I went down :noidea:

Replaced them by 2x Race Kings in Race Sport variant. Running them tubeless at 20 PSI front and rear.
They inspire much more confidence and also have much better traction when climbing double-digit gradients out of the saddle.

Still a magic carpet ride feel.

Been thinking about the gravel-specific Continental Terra Speeds, which are advertised at ~420g.
But I've heard from others that these had issues keeping air in a tubeless setup and Continental now uses more material, i.e. weight comes in at 450g.

That is almost the same weight as the Race Kings which I weighed at 465g.
So I keep the high-volume MTB tires on for my riding style. Love climbing singletrails on the Diverge.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com