Weightweenie-ish Helium SLX: 6̶.̶9̶2̶5̶ 6̶.̶8̶7̶ ̶6̶.̶8̶4̶5̶ ̶6̶.̶8̶0̶0̶ 6̶.̶7̶6̶0̶ 6̶.̶6̶6̶ 6̶.̶6̶1̶6̶.̶5̶0̶k̶g̶ RIP

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

:twisted: Backstory
I've always been a nerdy techno-phile. I cut my biking teeth riding mtb in the early and mid 90s. Anyone else from that era will remember the accelerating technology of the time.
GT RTS.jpg
Of course, things have progressed far beyond what anyone from the time could have imagined. But, as an entry point into "bikes as high tech vehicles" (especially ...lightweight high tech vehicles :twisted: ), I couldn't have asked for a better time to come of age. As long as you avoided the stuff that went beyond high tech into weird!
Crazy mtb.jpg
Fast forward 20 + years and suddenly there was this thing called Strava. Ineveitably, I discovered road biking. So I got myself a flat bar road bike
Shogun.jpg
Then another flat bar road bike
Flatbar TCR.jpg
Then I got sick of half assing it, so I changed it to a "proper" road bike (it's in the Introduce Yourself sub-forum somewhere...)
TCR.jpg
Pretty decent, especially for it's age. But the more I read (especially this site), the more I wanted something more modern, racy, and especially...lighter!! :thumbup:

After a good dig around the internet I decided a Ridley Helium SLX would be it, rim brake of course :mrgreen: . That said, trying to decide on size was difficult. Everyone says to size down, which would have been a small. But the Ridley website got me on a medium, and given my +9cm ape index and the fact that no smalls in my price range could be located, I decided to go a medium. After a bunch of searching I found a guy in Portugal selling his medium frame. The price for the frame was good, and even with shipping to Australia AND duty, it still was within my budget.
Last edited by Kurt1980 on Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:53 am, edited 14 times in total.

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Current Project
Given that I basically maxed out my current funds getting this frame, I'll be transferring all my running gear to the new frame.
A̶l̶r̶i̶g̶h̶t̶y̶,̶ ̶l̶e̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶b̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶c̶a̶l̶e̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶w̶e̶i̶g̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶i̶t̶e̶m̶i̶s̶e̶ ̶e̶a̶c̶h̶ ̶i̶t̶e̶m̶̶̶ ̶!̶ Actually, time is of the essence for me, so I've had to forgo the complete breakdown and keep things in groups. I know that's sacrilege on this site :oops:. To be honest, I really appreciate the time and effort others have gone to when showcasing their builds. Another time, perhaps.

Let's start with the frame. It came with a headset, seatcollar, BB30 bearings and dearilleur hanger installed. Not bad weight then!
1 Frame.jpg

Fork came with the compression nut. So all in, also pretty decent.
2 Fork.jpg

Next up, seating arrangements. Previously I bought a Ritchey Superlogic setback. Took weeks to get to me from Germany, only to have a bike-fit and the guy tell me I needed an inline! In the end I went with a Mt Zoom, which is light and sturdy enough for my 75kg, although I suspect those expensive MCFKs and the like are sturdier..

As you probably know, saddles are a personal thing :smartass: . I've gone through a few, and in a moment of frustration bought this all-carbon model off eBay. It was cutout that drew me in, and suprisingly, it's been the most comfortable so far. The search continues, but in the meantime, I'm pretty happy with this, and of course the weight is quite good.
3 Seat and post.jpg

I picked up this crankset off a 2ndhand site for a good price. It's a 130BCD with TA Specialites 50/38 rings. Funny gearing you say? Why yes, yes it is! My reasoning was to get good gearing for my legs, but keep the gearing itself as small as possible. Weight savings of course.

I gotta say, the old SRAM Red rings were heavy, but I had heard that non SRAM and Shimano rings, as light as they may be, flexed a lot and were not great at shifting. My answer then was to get a 130 BCD, wth the idea that a smaller 50T ring on a larger 130 BCD spider would flex less. It's not really clear whether it does, but it shifts pretty well, and the weight is down. I don't have access to an older photo of just the crankset, but going off the weight of R8000 pedals, it looks
like the crankset alone weighs around 570ish grams all in, which is pretty good bang for your buck. 823 grams including pedals.
4 Cranks, rings and pedals.jpg

Wheels, probably the next place I want to upgrade. Those Lotto Soudal guys and gals run some sweet looking Boras, but cost aside... can I bring myself to run Campy, SRAM and Shimano all on one bike? Even I have limits.

Anyway.

These wheels are Giant PSLR1s. Tubeless with Conti GP 5k 25mm tyres. The wheelset is 1500g, which is not bad really.

There's also a SRAM Red 11-26 cassette on there, which really helps to cut weight.

Also, some cheapo Novatech bolt up steel skewers. The pair weigh 59g. I spent a few late nights looking at all those eBay and Ali super light ti skewers (cheap and expensive ones), but in the end I couldn't do it. Too many bad reports for what, 30-40 grams saving at most.

These skewers still saved me 60ish grams over my old Fulcrums, and they're super-locked down and reliable. And since I run tubeless, I never have to fix a tyre, so the need for a quick release is moot.
5 Front wheel.jpg
6 Rear wheel.jpg

And now for the ugliest photo. Sorry. It's functional. What can I say? Direct transplant. At least it also includes most of the housing and cables I'm likely to use, so no sneaky weight weenie surprises. Ultegra 6800 shifters, Giant Contact SL bars (42cm) with a Fairwheel bikes/Kalloy stem. Stem is pretty dialled, basically 100g with the Ti bolt upgrade.
7 Stem, bars and levers.jpg

Ultegra 6800 f and r dearilleur. Not exciting but very good bang for your buck.
8 Rear derailleur.jpg

11 speed shimano chain. I think it's a 105, can't remember anymore. It shifts well. No complaints.
10 Chain.jpg

Ultegra 6800 brakes. They work pretty well, although apparently the R8000s are even better.
Funny thing, it seems over the last 10-15 years there's been so many attempts to make high quality, powerful and LIGHT brakes, but none have really succeeded. I nearly bought a pair of those Gravity brakes, but when I saw the "paid money, did not get item) story played out on these forums over years and years (and years!) I decided to give it a miss. EEbrakes look nice, but in the meantime, 6800s will do fine.
11 Brakes.jpg
I've spent most of the day putting it all together, but it's not yet finished. I think I'll wait for the final product rather than rushing it and posting half built. It's looking good so far, and now that I've got the hang of internal routing (I think...!), I'm appreciating the more modern look with the clean lines.

Projected weight is about 6.65kg, which is about 550g lighter than my old steed. Definitely enough to make a noticeable difference. I imagine that means with a Garmin and a bottle cage it should be right around 6.8kg. So not exactly weight weenie territory I suppose, but pretty good considering it's a real world weight.

I'll finish the build asap, but I welcome comments and suggestions for future upgrades.

Cheers all!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Some updates.

The frame is obviously bigger than my old TCR. I stupidly inserted the seatpost beyond it's max insertion point ot get the right height, and predictably, I cracked it.
Cracked seatpost.jpg
I've had to run my old TCR carbon post as an interim measure until my new post arrives. It's a 20mm setback, whereas the old post was inline. So that means....my old stem (the Kalloy UNO 110mm) is now too long for this frame, so I've got an old and heavy-ish 90mm FSA. I'll have to run this for a while. Once I get the new post I can see how a 90mm fits.

All in all, Ive added around 110g to the bike. TBH, of course you don't feel it when you ride, but in terms of WW-ism I have gone backwards. I await the mailman!!

Anyway, 6.925kg is pretty good considering it has a heavy stem and post, Garmin mount, Ultegra 6800 (still shifts nicely!), metal bottle cage and tubeless clinchers.
Scale weight.jpg
In the meantime, a few other photos. I gotta say... it ride's very nicely :beerchug:
Ridley side view.jpg
Ridley distant.jpg
Top tube.jpg
Cheers all!
Last edited by Kurt1980 on Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Shame about the post. But looks great defo still a few areas to purchase bits for as well which is always fun :)
Formerly known as Curryinahurry

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Thank you sir! Purchasing bits is the best, but waiting... the worst.

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Minor weight loss time.

Old post 238g
Giant 350mm seatpost.jpg
New post 171g
Mt Zoom 400mm seatpost.jpg
Calculated weight savings 67g

Weight savings according to scales 55g.... Close enough!
Lighter Ridley v1.jpg

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Also... I got the Mt Zoom compression plug but I don't know how to remove the 4za that came with the fork. It's been in for a while. Ultimately, I could leave it in there, but any chance to get it out and lighten up the fork would be good.

It looks like the bottom wedge is still jammed up against the expander assmebly. Should I put the bolt into the wedge and *gently* tap it out? Would that loosen up the expander and make it easier to pull the whole thing out.

It's this model:
4ZA expander.jpg
This is how mine actually looks:
4za compression plug.jpg
Thanks for any help.

iamraymond

by iamraymond

Get a bolt long enough to thread into bottom wedge and gently tap the head of the bolt to knock it free. Just a couple gentle taps should get it out. I had the same style compression plug on my Focus and it’s quite heavy so you can save quite a bit with a new expander.

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

iamraymond wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:00 pm
Get a bolt long enough to thread into bottom wedge and gently tap the head of the bolt to knock it free. Just a couple gentle taps should get it out. I had the same style compression plug on my Focus and it’s quite heavy so you can save quite a bit with a new expander.
Thanks Ian Raymond, I did just that and it worked a charm.

Small update, barely worth a mention....

Old plug, nicely corroded. 43g
20210301_155550.jpg
New plug. 13g.
20210301_155647.jpg
New weight... 6.845kg
20210301_165903.jpg

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Regained some weight since the last update.

Ultralight compression plug moved, so Ive gone back to the relatively heavy Deda plug... +30g
Had a bike fit, and I've put the Pro Stealth back on... +100 ish grams

That had me sitting at bang on 7kg.
Heavier Ridley.jpg
But... new 35mm Farsports rim brakes have cut back 200 ish grams....
Far Sports wheels weight.jpg
so I'm stting pretty at 6.800 kg, including longer valves and a top up of sealant in my tubeless tyres. Lucky me, I can still race the World Tour!
Lighter Ridley v2.jpg

Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers all!
Last edited by Kurt1980 on Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Elite Vico bottle cage (in matching colours, natch) is about 35g lighter than the old steel cage.
Elite bottle cage weight.jpg
I was intending to go for a Tune, but this was what, 15g heavier (sorry ww! :oops:) and just looks a little sturdier, so I got this instead.

As an added bonus, the scale says it's -40g, 5g free weight loss!
Lighter Ridley V3.jpg

Cheers!
Last edited by Kurt1980 on Sun May 02, 2021 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

neeb

by neeb

Nice to see another Helium SLX on here - they are really good bikes and you have plenty scope for weenying! Mine is now down to about 5.7kg.

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Thanks neeb, yours is one of the reasons I went for an SLX. Very nice build!

I'll get some vanity shots one I'm closer to the final build, maybe also when I'm more flexible and can have the stem a little lower :D :D

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Got a replica San Marco Super Leggera replica saddle. It's a 132mm, so probably just within width limits for me. So far it feels ok and is much lighter than the Shimano Stealth. I'll give it a few more rides before I commit to it.

Weight is down to a devilish (hehehe) 6.66kg. :twisted:

Maybe I should leave it there?

No, the even more diabolical call of lightness is too alluring :D 8)
178545679_136377601747170_3177769456211220893_n.jpg
I'm getting through my planned upgrades, still a few to go...

Coming soon
M̶t̶ ̶Z̶o̶o̶m̶ ̶s̶e̶a̶t̶p̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶(̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶n̶o̶ ̶i̶n̶s̶e̶r̶t̶i̶o̶n̶/̶w̶e̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶l̶i̶m̶i̶t̶)̶ Got it
M̶t̶ ̶Z̶o̶o̶m̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶r̶e̶s̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶p̶l̶u̶g̶ G̶o̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶, swapped it back!
̶C̶a̶r̶b̶o̶n̶ ̶b̶o̶t̶t̶l̶e̶ ̶c̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶Got it

Further down the track
Light stem- not sure what yet
Carbon bars - Ordered EXS Cycling RX01s (standard edition) today. 40cm at the hoods. Should drop around 100g :)
L̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶s̶a̶d̶d̶l̶e̶ - San Marco Super Leggera, for now

Even further down the track
L̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶a̶e̶r̶o̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶e̶l̶s̶ ̶-̶ ̶a̶l̶s̶o̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶.̶ Farsports Kaze 35mm rim brake

Waiting for my EXS carbon bars to arrive....

ArtV

by ArtV

Nice bike. I love my Helium SLX!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com