Aethos build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

raccone

by raccone

Hi everyone!

I'm from Italy (Piemonte), so first of all forgive my poor english :oops: , i would like to share my first disc build, always with the under six goal (i already have a 5.9 kg Felt 2013 and a 5,75 kg 2017 supersix evo), quite easy with rim brake, things became more difficult with disc... until aethos release. Plus lovely weight i really, really, really, really love the look of this frame, so i start to choose components and the final result is listed down:

Frame: Aethos size 54, only piece weighted alone, with front and rear derailleur hanger and that two plastic piece they put where Axles will be it was 621 grams
Fork: Aethos
Headset: Aethos
Front and Rear Axle: Aethos
Seatpost: Aethos
Seatpost clamp: Carbon TI X-Clamp (same weight of the original one but i love Carbon TI brand)
Headset cap and expander: Carbon TI X-Plug and Carbon TI X-Cup (even here almost same weight i think but reason as above)

Wheels: spada oxygeno Carbon disc C, i think this brand is almost unknowed out of in italy but in our country have a good reputation due to positive feedback of users, weight declared is 1140 grams, not weighted but i think this is near reality according to total weight of the bike. Could stay under six even with roval alpinist, xentis squad, dt swiss mon chasseral but i choose this one.
Inner tube: schwalbe aerothan, first time i use extralight inner tube, usually i use zipp tangente but this time i don't have to fear resistance to heat (i have, don't now how i can say... some BIG problem in descent and i use brake WAY TOO MUCH)
Tyres: Tufo Calibra 28 Plus, switched one year ago from 23, weight more but feelings on road is way better considering the average condition of Italy's roads...

Stem: Deda superleggero Rs
Handlebar: Ritchey superlogic, the "multi-holed" new model
Bar Tape: Deda Nero Traforato
Saddle: Selle Italia C59, this is the great positive surprise,i love the design, and obviously the weight, but i come from 10 years of smp and before first ride i was not sure if i have wasted some hundreds euro, fortunately the feelings is AWESOME!
Pedal: the only "recycled" piece, speedplay nanogram with the original (really fast) faded plates replaced with the zero TI one, all out of production now, only steel model still available.
Bottle Cages: supacaz supalite (don't sure the name is exactly this or something like this...)

The groupset is not conventional because is a mix of shimano and sram parts:
Shifters, brake and derailleurs are from DI2, the cable configuration is (possible due the superlogic's big hole near shifter that allows brake and two di2 signal cable passage) RS 910 in left bar end, thru handlebar to left shifter, then again thru handlebar to right shifter, from here longest wire to 4 junction, from here to derailleurs and battery fixed in the seatpost with ritchey adapter
Brake disc: 160 mm sram, don't remember the exact name but they are the one i like the most for light design compared to di2 one and axs one.
Cassette: sram red 22 11-26, i use 50-34 11-26 configuration from almost 10 years and absolutely don't want to change and is lighter than shimano's one
Crankset: unfortunately hollowgram sisl2 (that i have on felt and cannondale) don't fit this frame and i really don't like di2 crank design so i choose the sram 22 one, light and (imho) beatiful, but with praxis works 50-34 chainring and ceramic speed bottom bracket.
Chain: KMC X11 SL silver

Weight is 5,77 according to my scale and 5,79 according to shop owner's scale.

Here one pics, i'm a bad photographer, this is not related of my being italian like bad english and riding on bad road, is one of my personal limit. :D
Attachments
IMG-20210205-WA0003.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Awsome bike and welcome! Where in piemonte are you? I have family in casale Monferrato :)
Formerly known as Curryinahurry

raccone

by raccone

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:48 am
Awsome bike and welcome! Where in piemonte are you? I have family in casale Monferrato :)
Thank you!! In Piemonte I live, and i was born, in... Casale Monferrato!!!! :beerchug: :D

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Awsome! My uncle taught English there Richard tassell :)
Formerly known as Curryinahurry

gurk700

by gurk700

I'm always shocked how comfortable c-59 is after coming from a different saddle.
I used c-59 for years then switched to S-works Romin Evo.

S-works is very comfortable but when I put C-59 back on my Aethos, I was so pleasantly surprised. It's really a great saddle and feather light as bonus.

raccone

by raccone

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:36 pm
Awsome! My uncle taught English there Richard tassell :)
Wow, when i was young (more young, now i'm 44 :lol: ), i had some lesson with him! Like so many in Casale! :thumbup:

raccone

by raccone

gurk700 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:54 pm
I'm always shocked how comfortable c-59 is after coming from a different saddle.
I used c-59 for years then switched to S-works Romin Evo.

S-works is very comfortable but when I put C-59 back on my Aethos, I was so pleasantly surprised. It's really a great saddle and feather light as bonus.
For me SMP evolution carbon was great, but this one is better. Look, weight, comfort imho everything at maximun level with this saddle.

flemingcool

by flemingcool

Does SiSl2 definitely not fit on the Aethos frame? I've asked the question here but not had a reply. Local Specialized dealer just told me it will fit fine, but it wasn't a mechanic. Seeing this makes me wonder if he has it wrong?

Attermann

by Attermann

I won't fit, the spindle isn't long enough.

flemingcool

by flemingcool

Thank you! Is the sl7 different? Would it fit that?

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

flemingcool wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:44 pm
Thank you! Is the sl7 different? Would it fit that?
Won't fit either, Aethos and SL7 both have the good old 68mm english threaded BB shell.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

flemingcool

by flemingcool

Ah. OK, thanks for your help, looks like I'll have to add a new crankset to the shopping list.