Sub5 with clinchers, Yet Another Aethos Build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

takolino

by takolino

Want to see another Aethos build thread? If you say no, I understand.
Just sharing my experience of building a lightweight bike with some cool lightweight parts and some modding.
Hope some of the things I’ll be doing are unique enough to be of interest.
The goal is to build a lightweight, everyday fun bike for my local rides in the SF bay area. That means a bit of everything from climbing, technical descents and a little bit of gravel, hopefully with long ride comfort. The Aethos is the perfect platform for such a build. Arguably the lightest available frame with solid ride characteristics and room for wider tires. I’ll modify parts as needed for shedding weight on non critical parts. I’ll be running a 1x11 drivetrain. Projected weight is 5 kg or thereabouts.

Some typical, some not typical plans.
The usual lightweight components: Clavicula SE, DA R9170 levers, Extralite hubs, Darimo carbon parts, Tubolito tubes. Also plan to mod the Di2 battery (credit to Klaster) and cables, lighten some parts, build a wheelset with Berd spokes etc.

Rough Build List
56 S-Works Aethos satin carbon/black chrome
Frame with hangers removed 645g (a bit heavy for a 56?)
Fork uncut 303g
Dura Ace Di2 9170 levers
Dura Ace Di2 9150 rear derailleur
Trickstuff C21 Calipers
Ashima Ai2 rotors 160mm/140mm
Bontrager xxx integrated bars (may upgrade to Darimo combo)
Clavicula SE crankset
Fibrelyte 40t chainring
Xpedo Thrust SL Ti pedals
3T Bailout Cassette 9-32
Selle Italia C59 saddle
Darimo T1 seatpost
Stan’s Grail CB7 rims (impressively light clinchers, claimed 300g)
Extralite SPD Hubs
Berd Polylight spokes

More details soon.

SPOILER ALERT: Updated build list as of March 2021

Code: Select all

s-woks aethos 56 black/chrome		646
s-works aethos fork cut			266
headset					38.4
3d printed sleeve, spacer		6.4
top cap, alloy screw			4.4
Bontrager xxx integrated bars		225
Dura Ace st-r9170 levers		344
derailleur hanger DM			14
9150 rd direct mount			185
modded Di2 battery, cables 		56
3T Bailout 9-32				220
custom bung-glued in			5.7
Lizard skins DSP 2.5 bar tape 		50
Selle Italia C59			61
Darimo T1				73
seatpost collar specialized		11
bottle cages and bolts			20
Trickstuff C21 F pads/bolts		108.6
Trickstuff C21 R pads/bolts		99.4
brake hoses, banjo, ends		45.7
brake hose foam pads			6
Ashima Ai2 rotors F/R			160
Stans Grail CB7 rims			572
Extralite Cyber SPD3 hubs 		206
Berd Polylight/nipples/rings		150.3
rim tape 				13.1
Rene Herse 28c tires			461
tubolito s tubo				44
thru axles specialized			52
Xpedo Thrust SL pedals			163
Clavicula SE compact 170		293.4
chainring bolts				10
Fibrelite 40t chainring			33
THM BSA BB, spacers			82.1
kmc x11sl chain				220
total grams				4945.5
Last edited by takolino on Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

Welcome to the club!
Your build will be similar to ngenear but in 1x.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bencolem

by bencolem

Should be awesome, why not the roval alpinist integrated bar stem?

takolino

by takolino

Thanks @ome rodriguez and @bencolem! Hopefully it will be worth a read.
The XXX combo is lighter and can be had for half the price if you're patient. I have them on several bikes and they can be as light as 224g for a 42cm 100. Alpinist is probably good and maybe even stiffer but the XXX has been good to me. For this build, it will be painted flat black to match. I will also 3D print a sleeve to go around the spacer to give it a more "integrated" look.

I was hoping to build the wheels this week but I didn't do my homework and had to order the straight pull inserts from Berd. Doh!
Here's a picture at least. Projected wheelset weight in the low 900's. This will be the lightest clincher wheelset I've ever built, which isn't actually saying much.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Let me know how it goes with the black spokes... Their initial batch of black spokes had the coating coming off easily during the build...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

takolino wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:26 am
The XXX combo is lighter and can be had for half the price if you're patient. I have them on several bikes and they can be as light as 224g for a 42cm 100.
I went through this same thought process. While my frame is not Specialized, I did go for the Roval Alpinist seatpost so there was a temptation to match the bars. The price was a factor, but just as much was the lighter weight of the Garmin mount that Bontrager supplies. The Blender stuff from Bontrager seems really good. Wasn't keen on making after market mounts work with the Roval. All that said, If I was building an Aetheos, I'd have trouble resisting the full Roval cockpit.

As for painting the bar, they are available in matte black. I assume you already have the gloss black and red version.

Very impressive build. How much do you weigh? I can imagine riding wheels that light. But then again I am not that light so...
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

takolino

by takolino

Kayrehn wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:01 pm
Let me know how it goes with the black spokes... Their initial batch of black spokes had the coating coming off easily during the build...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Thanks Kayrehn, I'll take that as a heads up to handle these carefully. Building them up this afternoon since it's raining.
Mr.Gib wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:04 pm
As for painting the bar, they are available in matte black. I assume you already have the gloss black and red version.

Very impressive build. How much do you weigh? I can imagine riding wheels that light. But then again I am not that light so...
The black ones seem heavier. I haven't seen any below 245g. Any one have lighter ones?

I've contacted Stans about building these up 24/24 for road and they said go right ahead. For gravel, they suggest 24/28 but that's fairly standard for gravel. I'm 155 but I think they can take way more. The Grail CB7 Team wheelset has a max rider weight of 230lbs.

takolino

by takolino

It's raining outside, a perfect afternoon to get comfy with a cup of coffee and build up the wheelset.

Code: Select all

Stan's Grail CB7 rims		571.9
Extralite SPD3 rear		140.1
Extralite SPD3 front		65.5
Berd inserts			5.8
Berd Polylight Spokes x48	125.2
Sapim Double Square Nipples	18.4
Berd loop anchor bits		0.9
Total (no rim tape)		927.8
removing decals saved about 4 grams
removing decals saved about 4 grams
IMG_0015.jpg
IMG_0016.jpg
These little metal inserts add up
These little metal inserts add up
IMG_0018.jpg
IMG_0019.jpg
These things weigh next to nothing
These things weigh next to nothing

takolino

by takolino

Well, that took a while. I worked on this wheel set off and on, most of the late afternoon into the evening and just got it tensioned up for an overnight of stretching. It took at least ten times longer than building with steel spokes. Most of the time went into threading the spokes onto the hubs. Berd provides instruction via video. The initial build went together without any issues.

@Kayrehn, the black color did not rub off the woven rope very much. Just a bit got on my fingers but washed off easily. I took care in handling the spokes since you mentioned it, however. I made a simple spoke pulling tool to pull the ends tight without grabbing the spokes. See below.
The threaded metal part, on the other hand lost some color. In fact, there were exposed metal in some areas out of the box. I'll mention it to Berd. For the premium you pay for these, I expected the finish to be better. This is an area they can improve.

Overall, you pay a lot and it takes quite a bit more effort to build a wheelset (wheel builders probably charge more) but the weight saving is phenomenal! And it seems well proven to be as strong, if not stronger than traditional steel.

Here are some pictures from the build.
Attachments
Out of the box, bare metal is visible on the painted steel part
Out of the box, bare metal is visible on the painted steel part
Simple tool to pull the spokes to secure the ends on the hub
Simple tool to pull the spokes to secure the ends on the hub
some of the black color rubbed off onto my hands
some of the black color rubbed off onto my hands
The black color hides the ugly "knot" ends on the hub
The black color hides the ugly "knot" ends on the hub
Rear hub threaded and ready for lacing
Rear hub threaded and ready for lacing
Sub kilo clincher wheelset
Sub kilo clincher wheelset

Knightyboy27

by Knightyboy27

Impressive. Out of interest, what was the total cost all in? (not taking into account your time)

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

takolino wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:13 am
Mr.Gib wrote:
The black ones seem heavier. I haven't seen any below 245g. Any one have lighter ones?
That is fascinating intel. I had never heard that the matte black version was heavier. You may be correct in this - my 100x400 matte black weighs 240g. Yes, below your 245g figure :D but above the 225g - 230g figure I have seen for same size gloss version :( . A bit strange, I always thought matte black was the lightest finish option. I had always suspected that Bontrager simply made later version of the bars a bit heavier to address some stories of early breakages. Not disappointed, I am most certainly better off with the what I hope is a sturdier bar even at the penalty of 10 or 20 grams.

As a side note on these bars, Mine appear to be the new version as pictured on the Trek/Bontrager website but they did not come with Di2 holes as specified. A bit mysterious, perhaps a newer bar, just not the newest.

Looking forward to your ride report. Your bike will be crazy light.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

lightspeedylight

by lightspeedylight

Mr.Gib wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:43 pm
takolino wrote:
Mr.Gib wrote:
That is fascinating intel. I had never heard that the matte black version was heavier. You may be correct in this - my 100x400 matte black weighs 240g. Yes, below your 245g figure :D but above the 225g - 230g figure I have seen for same size gloss version :( . A bit strange, I always thought matte black was the lightest finish option. I had always suspected that Bontrager simply made later version of the bars a bit heavier to address some stories of early breakages. Not disappointed, I am most certainly better off with the what I hope is a sturdier bar even at the penalty of 10 or 20 grams.

As a side note on these bars, Mine appear to be the new version as pictured on the Trek/Bontrager website but they did not come with Di2 holes as specified. A bit mysterious, perhaps a newer bar, just not the newest.

HI all. 420 c2c + 90mm stem. Also this red one without di2 holes, easy problem to solve. 233 grams.
Attachments
IMG_20210110_164516.jpg

kode54

by kode54

Mr.Gib wrote:
takolino wrote:
Mr.Gib wrote:

Did you have to drill holes for the Di2? What did you end up doing in your case?

I have some Easton E100 bars for Di2 but only has one hole on the right drops. I actually need two holes. One
On each side.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Yes, I drilled the holes. 55mm from the bar ends. Super easy to do. Start with a small (2 or 3mm) metal (not wood) drill bit run at very low rpm. Then expand and shape hole with a cone shaped stone grinding attachment in a Dremel. Final hole was about 5x7mm oval. Result was very clean and looked factory finished - anyone with a bit of aptitude for these things would have no issues. I found the best way to secure the bars for the operation was simply to have them installed on the bike and flip the whole thing upside down.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

takolino

by takolino

I did the same. Drilling carbon is sketchy. It can shred the fibers when it pokes through the other side, especially unidirectional. I know this from experience, lol. A sharp dirll is much better to start a tiny hole and a dremel bit is even better. You can get an assortment of cone stone dremel bits for a reasonable cost. lightly sand the edges and then finish with a bit of resin if you're really on top of it. Crazy glue works too. I'm usually too lazy for that extra step.