Sub5 with clinchers, Yet Another Aethos Build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

takolino

by takolino

Congrats @klaster_1! I guess all those Aethos posts finally got you to cave. You're gonna love it. I've been riding it all year and it's been a sweet ride.
Regarding the battery, unfortunately, I did not weigh the connector and have tossed it since. I doubt it weighed more than a few grams. Be careful when you separate the pcb from the connector. It's very easy to damage the surface mount components.
I'm pretty happy with where it is now. It actually gained a little bit of weight so it's no longer sub 5. Probably over by 10-20 grams. Had to replace the fibrelyte chainring. Not the best for 1x. Went for the Absolute Black which is probanbly around 30g more than the fibrelyte but no more dropped chain.
I think 250mm seatpost will be way too short for you. Not sure how you measured 73cm but get at least 300. My rail height measured from bb is around 70cm on my 56 and 300 is perfect. The seattube is 51cm.
I hope you will post your Aethos build. I'll bet yours will be the lightest on here.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

takolino wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:40 am
Congrats @klaster_1! I guess all those Aethos posts finally got you to cave.
Not yet, just mentally preparing myself. Won't happen until prices go down at least a bit.
takolino wrote:
Had to replace the fibrelyte chainring. Not the best for 1x.
Any details on this? Unlike 2x chainrings, my Vumaquad 1x FibreLyte was rock solid and showed no signs of wear or damage.
takolino wrote:
I think 250mm seatpost will be way too short for you. Not sure how you measured 73cm but get at least 300. My rail height measured from bb is around 70cm on my 56 and 300 is perfect. The seattube is 51cm.
That's sad to hear, one more complication along with incompatible brake calipers. I measure from the spindle center to the shell top along the seatpost center line.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

takolino

by takolino

Ah, sorry, I just assumed you got one. Agree the prices are a bit high and seems they are not coming down any time soon. Haven't seen too many on ebay and when they sell, they go pretty close to list price. No other choice for a disc frame in this weight range at the moment.

I've had previous experience with the fibrelyte splitting teeth on a 1x drivetrain. I blamed the frame I was using with unusually short chainstay of 393mm. My theory was that the short stays result in increased crossed chain angles. I was never able to determine the actual cause.

The Aethos has average chainstay at 410mm so I decided to give fibrelyte another try, especially since they are so light. No such luck. This time, it started dropping chain when I'm in the small cogs. It would happen when I start from low speed and I mash off the saddle. Each time it happened, I would find a split tooth. I have the chainring mounted on the outer position on the crank so it's not a severe crossed angle with the small cogs. So I actually don't understand the cause. I'm guessing that the lack of a chain guide and not having narrow wide teeth lets the chain go off the teeth. It could also be the design of the YBN chain. The narrow link is pretty sharp. It could also be that I wax my chain. Anyway, I had to replace it. Too many split teeth and started dropping more often. Since I switched to AB narrow wide, I've had zero issues.

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

How is the C59 playing with the darimo Seatpost?
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

takolino

by takolino

Ah, the C59. Very light saddle but it didn't work out for me on long rides. I rode it until very recently and the Darimo post had no issues holding it. I ended up switching to Berk Lupina which is more comfortable on longer rides for me. Took the 15 gram penalty which is a small price to pay for comfort unless you're at 4.99 kg!

freepk

by freepk

Hi, takolino, very interesting build and so many amazing work.

I plan to build Aethos frame size 52 with C21 calipers and i think there are no space at the rear.
Did you try use FM to 160mm rotor size adapter to enlarge space for caliper?

Thanks.

takolino

by takolino

Thanks! I wanted to use 140mm rotor so I had to modify the C21 to make it fit. See photos on page 3. 160mm would have worked but I did not want to add the weight of an adapter and bigger rotor since I was trying to get to sub5. The rear triangle is smaller on your frame so I doubt that a C21 will work with 140mm rotor. I don't know if 160mm will work. You'll have to try and see. Let me know if it fits. Good luck!

freepk

by freepk

Takolino, can you please share 3d model of headset spacer. I plan to install Alpinist handlebar and want to make custom spacer too for clean look.
Thanks.

takolino

by takolino

I shared it on Grabcad library. Search for aethos spacer. I don't know if it will fit the Alpinist stem though. It's designed for the Bontrager xxx integrated bar.

nequalsone

by nequalsone

Any tips on how I screw in the ring connector in the brake hose. The hole is really small compared to the width of the screw and I am struggling! Using Sram, maybe it's different on Shimano?
Capture.JPG

takolino

by takolino

I don't recall having difficulty but I used the kevlar hoses from Trickstuff and it makes sense that they would work together seamlessly. Use a wrench and maybe a dab of hydro fluid.

Turrifik

by Turrifik

Still happy with the Darimo T1?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deihlos91

by Deihlos91

takolino wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:53 am
Cockpit

On my previous build, I designed and 3D printed a spacer/headset cover to fit the Metron ACR handlebar to the 3T Strada. This worked out pretty well so I did the same here. It was a bit more work matching the shape of the XXX clamp because of the irregular shape. I had to print and tweak several versions before everything matched up but I think the final version came out pretty good.

IMG_0197.jpgIMG_0073.jpgIMG_0069.jpgIMG_0140.jpgIMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0193.jpgIMG_0200.jpg
@takolino great work with the spacer!
What kind of material have you used for your final spacer? Do you have experience to use PLA?
Thanks for your help.
Allround:
Elilee Blize XXE 24 Carbon Raw L Custom-6340g
Sunday:
Colnago V3Rs 22 (RCRD) 54s Custom-6890g
BW/Travel:
Cannondale Synapse 20 Hi Mod 56 Custom-7200g
Old:
Specialized SWorks Aethos Jet Fuel 56 Custom-6060g

Deihlos91

by Deihlos91

takolino wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:10 am
Thanks for the comments everyone!
Yea, the blue bar tape isn't for everyone. When I do a little shopping online or in stores (a distant memory), sometimes, I pickup a few things like bar tape. I get different colors, patterns etc just to have around, experiment with or rewrap a friend or family member's bike. So I have amassed a collection of bar tape. Recently, I got this blue one, which kind of grew on me. The hue is slightly warmer than sky blue but without looking like teal. I rather like how it contrasts with the carbon and decided to give it a go. I've ordered some blue vinyl samples to get a color match and will experiment with it.

If people are interested, I will share the CAD file of the spacer-headset cap on Grabcad. Search for "aethos" in the library. If nothing shows up, just give me a week or so. Download the file and use a 3D printing service or perhaps you already have a printer. Go with FDM first to check fit. Final one can still be FDM if you're ok with the finish. For a smoother matte finish, go with SLS nylon12. These spacers also requires the Whisky carbon spacers which are thinner than standard at 32.5mm OD. Currently, I only have a 10mm spacer design. This is equivalent to adding a 2.5mm spacer to the original headset cap. If people show interest for other heights, I can probably upload more sizes.
Would it be possible for you to share a 30mm and 35mm size of the spacer?
Or would it possible from your side to share the spacer as a STP File then can I adjust the height and can adjust it to my spacer, because I have to use a other one. Whisky spacer are not available in Germany.
Would be really great!
Allround:
Elilee Blize XXE 24 Carbon Raw L Custom-6340g
Sunday:
Colnago V3Rs 22 (RCRD) 54s Custom-6890g
BW/Travel:
Cannondale Synapse 20 Hi Mod 56 Custom-7200g
Old:
Specialized SWorks Aethos Jet Fuel 56 Custom-6060g

takolino

by takolino

Turrifik wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:17 am
Still happy with the Darimo T1?
Yes, working well without major issues. The dyneema doesn't stretch and is holding the rails far better than the typical yoke and tension bolt style which tends to loosen over time.
There is one small visible issue. The braided string is showing some sign of wear where my shorts rub. The rails are wider than the saddle at the front of the clamp so my shorts rub that area a little. The string wraps around the rails in that widest point and is is exposed to my shorts rubbing the stirng which caused it to fray just a tiny bit. It's very subtle but you can see just a little bit of fuzzyness on the braids. There does not seem to be enough wear to weaken the string. This might not happen for some riders depending on the saddle width, clamping position and pedaling style. This is a Berk Lupina.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com