WW TCR SL disc build; Light and Aero?

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Wattsofhair

by Wattsofhair

Meet gizmo, my emotional support cat/ technical consultant/master photo bomber.

He likes bike rides too, hes got a basket for my GFs Cinelli (pics sooon) :thumbup:
2020 Giant TCR Advanced SL (6.98g w/Cadex42/65)
6.8kg TCR build
2000 Klein Quantum 8.4kg (w/ spinergy)
I just wanna go fast

IG: @wattsofhair

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

smellymcfatfats

by smellymcfatfats

Nice, I loc'd my hair in September :) Love yours, as well as the cat, Miata and Giant. Well done!

dbzznlqbqft

by dbzznlqbqft

Wow! Thanks for the update, I like your bike, this is really helpful. I do want to get a MY21 rim-brake ADVSL frameset and get it as light as possible.

BTW, I'm pretty sure Dura-ace will be much lighter than AXS, especially 9200 is coming, it might even be lighter.
If you go serious WW, you can also swap your crankset to something like THM, Extralite, Skypivot... Even with power meters!

For TCR, in weight-saving, the hardest part is the seatpost system. In current days the ISP certainly brings more weight if going WW.

Good luck with upgrading your bike, can't wait to see a sub 6 TCR!

GS100

by GS100

Very nice bike. Looks clean and aggressive. Giant are such good value.

Glad the Carbon Ti plug worked out on the bigger stem.. I might remove my Giant plug and get another Carbon Ti for my tcr, since it's worked well on my other bike.

I can't see where any further significant weight savings are going to come from, even if you get tubs you'll have to go pretty exotic to better the cadex w/ carbon spokes. FWIW I have been on tubs since 2012 and never looked back, but with discs and wider profiles the savings won't be add great as the old school.

To the earlier comment about the ISP, yes you do need to cut them straight (they supplied a cutting guide with my frameset) and there have been reports of rocking on recent iterations of the design but due to mis-matched profile of the seat tube not the cut itself. No issues on mine but I put a little electrical tape where it bolts on to avoid damaging the paint.

Wattsofhair

by Wattsofhair

After a solid summer of riding, im going to take the whole bike apart soon. Largley to clean and inspect everything but i also need to do the vinyl on the bike and stem over. Im also going to remove all the decals and paint from the handlebars, im going to see what the raw carbon looks like under the paint. Ill either just clear over the raw carbon or just paint it matte black to match the bike.

The bars went from looking like this...

..to this. It would have held up 10x better if i wasnt constantly taking the bike apart. Now that ive got the Carbon Ti expander and the stem as low and the highest it will ever go now, i dont think i have any reasons to take it apart again.

the rest of it held up pretty well

Im also going to see what bolts i can replace on that seat post mount. I hear the one for the 21TCR is ligher and also matte black. Im sure i can remove some material and upgade some bolts and shave a few Gs.

A few Aesthetic changes i have planned for this winter.
-Strip handle bars
-Paint/Clear handlebars
-Replace vinyl (maybe new design?)
-Disassemble seatpost, upgrade bolts
-Sand/dremmel seatpost mount
-Paint seatpost mount matte black (possibly powder coat?)
-Paint/powdercoat chainring black

im sure there will be more, stat tuned
Last edited by Wattsofhair on Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6.8kg TCR build
I just wanna go fast

Wattsofhair

by Wattsofhair

GS100 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:36 pm
Very nice bike. Looks clean and aggressive. Giant are such good value.

Glad the Carbon Ti plug worked out on the bigger stem.. I might remove my Giant plug and get another Carbon Ti for my tcr, since it's worked well on my other bike.

I can't see where any further significant weight savings are going to come from, even if you get tubs you'll have to go pretty exotic to better the cadex w/ carbon spokes. FWIW I have been on tubs since 2012 and never looked back, but with discs and wider profiles the savings won't be add great as the old school.

To the earlier comment about the ISP, yes you do need to cut them straight (they supplied a cutting guide with my frameset) and there have been reports of rocking on recent iterations of the design but due to mis-matched profile of the seat tube not the cut itself. No issues on mine but I put a little electrical tape where it bolts on to avoid damaging the paint.
Thanks for the kind words. yea after the rotors and axles are in, the next largest savings would be upgrading to an alpitude saddle or similar. I would love to do exotic cranks/chainrings but i hear people have issues running the THM chainring with Sram.

I can also switch to a lighter bar/stem combo. I think this integrated unit is 350-400g from what info i can find online. I never weighed it when i got it, i will weigh it before and after i strip all that paint off it for sure.

I do have a carbon saddle from ali baba but its only 10g lighter than the cadex saddle. It was only like $20, i might hit it with the dremmel, see if i can shave off a few grams. I wonder if these are true carbon rails or if theyre metal wrapped in cabon.

Ive got some new Supacaz reflective bartape, not sure if im going to use it again. it is pretty damn heavy even if i dont use all of it. Ive got some white Deda bartape coming, just got an email saying it prob wont ship till late feb tho :noidea:

Ive still got some ways to go, its 7.29kg as it sits now with the 65mms. i think i can do sub 6.8kg with the cadex 42s, might even run 25mm tiress. The weight savings are just going to get more marginal and more expensive.
Last edited by Wattsofhair on Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6.8kg TCR build
I just wanna go fast

hannawald

by hannawald

Lizzard skins bar tape and 30g are yours:) white will match your bike nicely, just the cleaning..

Wattsofhair

by Wattsofhair

hannawald wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:43 pm
Lizzard skins bar tape and 30g are yours:) white will match your bike nicely, just the cleaning..
I know. It may be heavier and not as grippy as normal supacaz but whatever it's made out of is dirt proof. I just wipe it down with glass cleaner and they look new forever, that's one of the reasons I love this bartape. It always looks fresh, I just wish Supacaz offered this reflective bartape in white. Then it would be my forever bartape, I would shave some of the padding down to compensate for the extra weight.
6.8kg TCR build
I just wanna go fast

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

The vinyl looks great. Did you clearcoat over it? Sorry if I've missed that somewhere in the thread already.

Back when I had SLR integrated bars on my TCR, I sanded through the clearcoat, just to get rid of the decals. Didn't go through to raw carbon though and I suspect that raw carbon might look a bit out of place on the bike. Personal preference though.
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

Wattsofhair

by Wattsofhair

onemanpeloton wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:10 pm
The vinyl looks great. Did you clearcoat over it? Sorry if I've missed that somewhere in the thread already.

Back when I had SLR integrated bars on my TCR, I sanded through the clearcoat, just to get rid of the decals. Didn't go through to raw carbon though and I suspect that raw carbon might look a bit out of place on the bike. Personal preference though.
Thanks, no clearcoat. Just automotive wrapping vinyl, 3M 2080 wrapping vinyl. I used to own an automotive shop and we did vinyl wrapping. Its pretty easy, ive got some cool ideas for when i redo the bike this winter.

I agree, the raw carbon could look odd depending on how the weave pattern looks. I assume its UD, it could match the UD carbon on cadex wheels and seat, they also have a pretty distinct UD carbon pattern. Also the Sram Red cranks are UD aswell, im going to remove the chrome "red" logos when I paint the chain ring. I love how the black ones look on the 2021 Canyon Movistar team bikes.

im excited to get started, we just got blasted with snow so this might be a great day to get started. :thumbup:
Last edited by Wattsofhair on Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6.8kg TCR build
I just wanna go fast

Wattsofhair

by Wattsofhair

New Weight 7.20kg

Not as light as advertised but still half the weight of the original ones
6.8kg TCR build
I just wanna go fast

Wattsofhair

by Wattsofhair

photo bomb
Last edited by Wattsofhair on Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
6.8kg TCR build
I just wanna go fast

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

Wattsofhair wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:52 pm
onemanpeloton wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:10 pm

Thanks, no clearcoat. Just automotive wrapping vinyl, 3M 2080 wrapping vinyl. I used to own an automotive shop and we did vinyl wrapping. Its pretty easy, ive got some cool ideas for when i redo the bike this winter.

I agree, the raw carbon could look odd depending on how the weave pattern looks. I assume its UD, it could match the UD carbon on cadex wheels and seat, they also have a pretty distinct UD carbon pattern. im excited to get started, we just got blasted with snow so this might be a great day to get started. :thumbup:
Good to know thanks. I'm trying to find someone in the UK currently who will do some vinyl lettering for my bike so it's good to see yours and how well it turned out.

Look forward to seeing the raw carbon
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

shotgun1

by shotgun1

How are the Schwalbe TT tires, in terms of puncture protection? They're the only ones approved by Cadex that come in gumwall.

I tried the extralite expander plug, didnt' seem as solid. I'll switch it with my carbon-ti plug on my other bike and see how that goes.
2021 Giant TCR Advanced SL0 Disc 6.8kg
2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Disc 7.9kg
2017 Festka Scalatore 5.375kg

Original account [shotgun]: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=10594

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wattsofhair

by Wattsofhair

shotgun1 wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:40 am
How are the Schwalbe TT tires, in terms of puncture protection? They're the only ones approved by Cadex that come in gumwall.

I tried the extralite expander plug, didnt' seem as solid. I'll switch it with my carbon-ti plug on my other bike and see how that goes.
Yea, I also swapped out the extralite expander. I'll use it on my Klein.

I really like my pro one TTs, it only recently started getting warm here in New York so I've probably only put 100 -200 miles on them but so far so good. They're definitely fast rolling. I run like 75-80 psi on my 65s and no punctures yet. Going for a big ride today, I'll keep you posted.
Attachments
7EA93ED2-EA06-4973-9D7F-3D6926E42B44.jpeg
314424B6-40D7-43B7-8DD6-9D3C987260FE.jpeg
6.8kg TCR build
I just wanna go fast