Tarmac - Red NOW CHARCOAL - Updated 9.16.2021

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

Here are the weights from my Sworks build...

192g-98g=94g difference

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Aryeh

by Aryeh

Same power meter with Praxis chainrings, aluminum bolts and quarq dub crankarms weighs 608g.
If you don't have AL chainring bolts already it'll save like 20g.

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

Aryeh wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:36 am
Same power meter with Praxis chainrings, aluminum bolts and quarq dub crankarms weighs 608g.
Oh that's good to know. This was just to get me sorted out and on the road. Once I save up some more money, I'll make the move to Praxis rings and upgrade the bolts.

Aryeh

by Aryeh

Bianchi10 wrote:
Aryeh wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:36 am
Oh that's good to know. This was just to get me sorted out and on the road. Once I save up some more money, I'll make the move to Praxis rings and upgrade the bolts.
The Praxis Rings are about 20g lighter.

nulldreiundreissig

by nulldreiundreissig

Is the build finished yet and will you post pictures and the weight of the complete build?

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

She is done and built up. Took her on it's maiden voyage yesterday and it was great. Shifting was perfect, no squeeks or creaks. It rides very smooth and feels incredibly similar to my Sworks, which was the intention of the build. As you see it here with computer mount (No computer), pedals and batteries, she comes in at 15.21lbs/6.89kg. When I'm able to save up some funds, I'll get rid of the cheaper centerlock rotors and replace them with some lighter/better options and 140mm. I'll also look to get some Praxis works rings. Outside of that, I really don't have a TON of options to upgrade and minimize weight without spending some serious money. My goal will be to get it sub 15lbs/6.8kg.

It is going to take some time to get used to the massive size of the HDR hoods compared to the rim brake hoods. The bike is set up identical to my Sworks, but the size of the hoods makes this bike feel much different. I only have yesterdays ride under my belt, so I'm looking forward to experiencing the differences between the two. I like the engagment of the disc brakes, but as of now it certainly doesn't make me want to get rid of my rim brake Tarmac. Once the roads get wet, I'm sure I'll truly appreciate the disc braking, which is why I built this up to begin with.

So far, I'm happy with it and really looking forward to getting more time on it soon!

picts coming soon!

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

A lot of people have been asking me if I could give some feedback and compare my Sworks rim brake Tarmac to this disc Tarmac. I still only have a handful of rides on this disc bike and am still getting a feel for it, but hope to answer some of the questions being asked. But, before I say get into it, I must say that I have found it difficult to truly compare my two Tarmacs. They are so similar, but yet so different. They also have different purposes, which is why I've felt it difficult to make the comparison.

So, first off, I like this bike a lot. It certainly stands up to the Tarmac reputation. Feels very compliant, comfortable, fast and aggressive. This is the very first disc bike I've ever ridden and I do have to say that it was nice to have while riding on some wet roads/descents this last weekend. I need to become more familiar with braking points going into corners compared to rim brake.

I would say right off the bat, the biggest thing that I've had to get familiar with, is the size of the Sram HRD hoods. They are MASSIVE. After tinkering with position, I've finally found a position where they feel natural for my hands, which is angled slightly lower than the position of my Sram Rim brake hoods.

The thru-axel stiffness is something that EVERYONE told me I would fall in love with. As of yet, I don't like it. Maybe it will simply take more time on the bike to get used to the feel of it. Time will tell. To be honest, I can't really find the words to describe why I don't like the feel. I just don't yet.

So here is where I'll try to dig into comparing the two Tarmac builds:

In case you haven't seen or followed my Sworks Tarmac build, my intention was to build this disc bike with the majority of the same exact parts, so that it would feel as similar as possible when jumping between bikes. While the fit is exactly the same and feels similar in that regard, it performs like a totally different bike. My rim brake bike feels more snappy, agile and fun to ride. This disc Tarmac is still fun, but not AS fun. The Sworks feels EXPLOSIVE when I get on the hammer. The disc Tarmac still moves quickly, but doesn't seem to have that same feeling. I don't know if it is the extra 2lbs, the thru-axle, the different shape of the hoods, Expert frame being 10R carbon and the Sworks being 12R......OR all of the above.

Both bikes have exactly the same:
-Wheels/hubs
-Tires
-tubes
-Seatpost
-Stem
-Bars
-Bartape
-Saddle
-Etap groupset (one being HRD)
-Chain
-SLF OSWP system
-Pedals

When it comes down to it, the Sworks rim brake just feels so much more fun to ride. HOWEVER, this is where I have to re-center my thoughts because it is important for me to remember why I built this second bike. It was never my intention to build this disc Tarmac to replace my rim brake Tarmac. My intention was to have the same version of my Tarmac, but in disc, so that I could still enjoy the road when the conditions weren't ideal, which is exactly what it will do.

Does that make sense?

bad cell phone picture while out riding...

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

Happy with the SLF on Sram?
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

CustomMetal wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:04 pm
Happy with the SLF on Sram?
Incredibly happy with it. Drivetrain feels noticeably smoother with it. Shifting has been spot on precise too.

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

Well, this will be the last photo of her in this dancing dress. As much as I love the red logos and bits, I hate them just as much. I need something that is more neutral, so long story short I have ordered some special logos from (Speedydecals) in Italy. They have a very precise measuring process that makes me feel confident that they will come out perfect. So many generic decals out there, but dont fit properly.

I'm covering up all the red logos and will go with a Charcoal grey. Was thinking black originally, but I think grey will be better. My intent is to still show the logo, but almost have it Camouflaged on the Camouflage. Will also be Getting Black SLF OSWP to go on my Sworks Tarmac and will move my silver ones over to this one. Can't wait to get this transformed!

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

LOVING these new decals! Changes the look of the bike so much. I know some people really liked that red, but I love the more neutral colorway!

Decals from Speedydecals.com

spartacus

by spartacus

How hard was it to line up the new decals over the old ones?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

OK, that's nice. Those decals really worked well.