Aethos S-works [Custombuild]

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

cerro

by cerro

FIJIGabe wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:55 am
How much does the expander weigh without the top cap and retaining bolt?
18g on my Park tool scale.

marsrides

by marsrides

BREW2 wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:59 pm
First out is the crankset: THM Clavicula 172.5mm 110bcd 5arm.
CarbonTi carborings 46x33t
CarbonTi crankbolts

Weight crankset Total- 418g
crank - 305g
bolts - 8g
Chainring x2 - 106g

Hi, very interesting build, congrats!

I have considered Clavicula + Carbon TI for my Canyon EVO, but ended up not going ahead. First because it's so hard to get the Clavicula at a reasonable price, but mainly because the cost per saved gram seems to be too high when you consider that you lose a powermeter (the clavicula with powermeter is even harder to get).

I'd appreciate it if you could share a few of your motivations and how satisfied you are with the result. Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BREW2

by BREW2

Hi, I agree that it cost a fortune but its also a masterpiece and much more exclusive than any other mass produced crankset example axs or DA.

I also have red axs with quarq, and actually the powermeter got me think in this build. becuase i dont think powermeters on aethos suits well, becuase you dont count watts in the same if you compare pushing with a venge / tarmac and its about 200g heavier.

marsrides

by marsrides

BREW2 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:52 am
Hi, I agree that it cost a fortune but its also a masterpiece and much more exclusive than any other mass produced crankset example axs or DA.

I also have red axs with quarq, and actually the powermeter got me think in this build. becuase i dont think powermeters on aethos suits well, becuase you dont count watts in the same if you compare pushing with a venge / tarmac and its about 200g heavier.
Thanks for your answer. I do agree with the masterpiece comment :) I got THM's Mandibula seatpost, but got a bit disappointed with its weight. The alpinist seatpost is lighter.

As for the powermeter, I tend to disagree. While the wattage won't relate to the same effort on a Venge, a powermeter is the best way for you to pace yourself on a hill climbing event. And that's the issue for me, because if I need to add a powermeter, than the weight savings are gone and only the masterpiece-looks stay :) Maybe one day I will get their version with powermeter!

By the way, besides the carbon TI chainrings, what are the other components I'd need to convert the DUB crankset that comes with AXS?

Jwoodward

by Jwoodward

Nice build! How did you get on with the chainring/crank combo?