Basso Diamante: Winging it into 2021

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: maxim809, MrCurrieinahurry, Moderator Team

maxim809

by maxim809

Been looking at this frame for 3 years, watching the paint schemes change with each season.

It was going to be either this or a Factor O2. Practically a coin toss. About that for a bit...

The O2 ticked so many boxes:

1. Customizable paint schemes (the regular O2)
2. Non-aero shape tubing to bring back some diversity.
3. Factor’s support channel is responsive and great.
4. Unique-boutique, without going deep-end obscure.
5. Full disclosure of all handling geometry measurements.
6. Sub-60mm trail. Difficult to find in small bikes.
7. Reviewed well by various sources.
8. Factor's logo typography isn't bad.
9. VAM is hyperlight.

So yeah, you could say I’ve been keeping my eye on Factor for a while now too. Maybe some day I’ll finally have a sub-UCI weight limit bike. Probably a VAM, Rca, old school SuperSix. Those classic pencil-thin stays, man. I guess the O2’s seat stay is slightly dropped, but close enough. Boy, Factor’s got a lot going for them huh?

Anyway, I went with the Diamante.

While I can’t see the full handling specs, the good thing is it did come in a pizza-shaped box. So things are already looking up.

Unique to the Diamante are its very steep seat tube & super short chain stay. The De Rosa SK is maybe one of few contenders with this unique combo.

In contrast, the O2 has a 73° seat tube which is considered shallow for smaller bikes. I’d definitely need Factor’s 0mm offset post. And a slammed forward saddle even still. That’s the only very minor concern of the O2 as it just pertains to little old me.

Speaking of STA, I’ve mentioned this before… but I love using the Factor O2 and Basso Diamante as posterchilds for why one mustn’t size a frame using just the top tube length. As this next chart demonstrates nearly identical Reach but different TT's. Fraternal twins I tell you.

I guess the takeaway is using STA+TT in conjunction to size frames is fine, just don’t look at TT alone. For everyone else, there’s Reach. Reach for a pizza. Slam that pizza.

Okay cool. So while I’m curious to try out the steep STA and short stays, what really tipped me over to Basso is how these bikes have been reviewed.

While the Factor O2 VAM typically sees reviews with a unified message on what to expect from various independent cycling magazines and blogs, the Diamante has seen inconsistent and sometimes contradictory reviews in regards to handling and ride characteristics. The dissonance created amongst the divided reviews kinda does something for the Diamante’s mystique.

And stepping into this with no perception of what’s going to come out the other end is somewhat nice for a change. I get to see, experience, and think for myself.

All things I haven't done in a long time.

Best of all, when all is said and done I even get to throw my own opinion into the hat of existing mixed reviews on how it rides. Nice.

While I’m living dangerously without a plan, a part of me wonders what would happen if I didn’t follow the instructions to use silicone on the rubber grommets. Should I just keep tempting fate here?

I like the look of the stock stem and it’s managed to hold my attention for several years. During my annual pilgrimage back to the Basso website, I'd glance at the bikes and think to myself, "Yep, that stem's still lookin' pretty kewls." Every time.

So no way I’m going to replace this for a lighter stem. And just like that the whole build's overtone is now fashion over function.

Aside from that, my expectations going into this build will be identical to how I like my BB flex...

None.

Okay fine maybe 0.2 is cool too. That's really close to zero when rounded down, I think.

Kay with that settled, there’s no build list.

I’m going to make build decisions based on parts I have laying around, both new and used. Some of the 'new' parts haven't even been unboxed from their original FedEx shipping boxes. So now I’m sweating a little wondering what I’m going to do if I open these cardboard boxes and only find rocks.

The good thing is I’ll eat anything.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Here we go mate.. That colour scheme really is amazing. :)
Formerly known as Curryinahurry

by Weenie

GT3RS

by GT3RS

Love it. Looking forward to another of your builds.

maxim809

by maxim809

The grams.

Frame: 1154g

Fork (Uncut): 401g

Seatpost: 233g

Headset Cap: 10g
Headset Bearings: 68g
Expander Plug: 52g
Rubber Grommets (pre-silicone, but in bag): 4g

Stem 120mm, -11°: 211g

maxim809

by maxim809

Bars.

I want narrow, gloss bars preferably with internal routing holes.
The perfect bar doesn’t exist, but I have these which are close:

1. Basso Quantum (42cm OO)
2. Deda Zero100 RHM (40cm OO)
3. Deda SuperZero (40cm OO)

Note that all these bars are doing that outer-outer measurement thing. So for center-center “Normies”, the Basso’s are 40cm and Dedas’ are 38cm.

Kay, walkthrough time.

Basso Quantum

These bars are nice because they’re gloss and match the stem. Basso has a tendency to mark metrics around their kit, and I actually appreciate the fact that they explicitly call out the outer-outer standard.

Despite the fact that these measurements should have been sorted out before buying the part. And it’s going to get covered up by bar tape 99% of the time like that discreet tattoo your friends and family all advised you against. But still. I like the font they used. Like seriously, they do subtle things to make their typography appealing.

Wide holes close to the shifters for brake and shifter cables.

And likewise, holes underneath the stem clamp area.

For some odd reason, I’m really digging the pill-shaped holes. Oddly satisfying.

So yeah, unfortunately, this is as narrow as Basso makes their non-integrated flat-top bar.

I don’t know about you, but being even 2cm off from the preferred width when it comes to bars is huge. I wish it was just a hair narrower. That said, I run both 40cm and 42cm OO's, with the former being the preferred flavor of the year.

Basso Quantum 42cm OO: 268g

Deda Zero100 (Aluminum)

Zero100’s are great value aluminum bars that come in a variety of widths and “just works”. I’ve amassed a variety of Deda stems and bars over the years, and the latest aluminum Zero100’s have holes drilled underneath the bar ends.

Deda bars even go down to 38cm (36cm for “Normies”), but I’m way too scared to go that deep into aero territory. Feels like a black hole I can never return from with such strong gains, and I’d even be getting my poor friends involved by sucking them into my gravitational aero draft pull…

Does this fear make any sense? Send help.

Maybe I’ll entertain it next year, after I’ve exhausted all other “aero” improvements. It’s 2020 going into 2021 and I still build with exposed cables, btw. Just hinting it's gonna be a while.

By the way, this minor detail about pre-drilled holes by the bar ends was incredibility difficult to find and confirm on the internet. Faced lots of conflicting half-truths and misinformation.

And to further confirm: these two bar-end holes are the only drilled holes on the aluminum model. Not sure what the carbon Zero100’s look like.

Aluminum Deda Zero100 RHM 40cm OO: 241g

Deda SuperZero (Carbon)

I think this is Deda’s stab at an ‘aero’ shaped non-integrated bar. It’s a clean understated matte look, albeit I’m looking for something glossy with this build. The cool thing is these are narrow and have wide routing holes.

Truthfully, I find the front profile bulky. Especially coming from Vision Metron bars which look thin as a butterknife. Granted, we all know that just because something looks aero doesn’t mean it actually is, and vice-versa… but still.

These look like a round bar disguised as an aero flat top bar, but the front profile is quite… not aero. There’s a balance between having my bike be an extension of my body, and having it personify me exactly.

Quick reminder of Metron’s:

Alright anyway, moving on…

The tops are nice and flat. All images of the rotund frontal profile melts away from the driver’s seat.

There’s even a friendly reminder on proper tape wrapping limits. Deda’s always watching out for you, even if they do try to pull a fast one with that outie measurement standard.

The cable routing holes underneath the tops are gaping huge, with bar-end holes drilled on both sides. There will be no routing difficulties with these bars.

Carbon Deda SuperZero 40cm OO: 230g

That’s the round-up.

Truly a chin scratcher. And a painful one given that my fingertips are like 30 grit sandpaper.

Hmm… I’ll come back to this later. Hopefully with a healed chin.

hannawald

by hannawald

Hmm, Superzero with glossy bar tape..

maxim809

by maxim809

@GT3RS Thank you!

@hannawald Right? I'm leaning towards something like that too. When I get to finishing kit I'll keep that option in mind.

tifosiman

by tifosiman

Gorgeous frame! I've always loved Basso's, they have such lovely Italian flair. Thoroughly looking forward to another of your build reports

Visqu

by Visqu

That looks so nice!

Looking at the geo and all that talk about stiffness, I'm a bit envious I didn't remember Basso when I pulled the trigger on the De Rosa :)
The build sounds very promising, keep us posted!

Now, I still have the SR EPS + WTO60 floating around as I'm using DA for the Aeroad, maybe these will come useful in a future build that I can't afford or have space for righ now :D

Oh, one more handlebar suggestion, the 3T Aeroflux.
https://www.3t.bike/en/products/dropbar ... x-714.html

corky

by corky

Great thread.....enjoying the musings.....keep going

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Deda carbon bars all have an atrocious bend which don't allow you to properly place levers unfortunately.

LewisK

by LewisK

dudemanppl wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:27 pm
Deda carbon bars all have an atrocious bend which don't allow you to properly place levers unfortunately.
Zero 100 SHALLOW with a classic drop are pretty good!

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Yes because they aren't carbon.

Moltobene

by Moltobene

Haha, now I know why you were also in the Campagnolo chainstay/chain length discussion. We're both building the same frame ;)
Different color and size for me though.
Also went through the same decision regarding the handlebar options and ordered the Quantum for now. Did not have either in my hands, but from the looks of it, I really like the flat part in the drops. Also decided against the carbon Dedas as people claimed that shifter positioning is really tricky on those. Thanks also for the detailled pictures of the handlebars, I think these will fit me – and your bike as well – really well. Looking forward to see the complete build!

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Defo need a basso build gallery soon ;)
Formerly known as Curryinahurry

by Weenie