Engineering bicycle part by part

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

Very well done. Any plans for a longer length saddle? 250mm is a little on the short side for me. My saddles tend to be in the 270mm to 275mm range. Will the computer mount be available with out the GoPro mount and when would you expect availibility?

Komarov
in the industry

by Komarov

Juanmoretime wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:18 pm
Very well done. Any plans for a longer length saddle? 250mm is a little on the short side for me. My saddles tend to be in the 270mm to 275mm range. Will the computer mount be available with out the GoPro mount and when would you expect availibility?
Hi! The thing with my saddle is that it has pretty long seat-zone. Almost all the way to the back. Most of the classical shaped saddles which are longer actually have smaller seat-zone and their length is just a design feature with no actual functionality. Like the old Specialized saddles with holes on the back for the saddle bag.
So I think there is no point in a long saddle if you cant seat on the half of it - it just gets heavier for no reason. Also the clamping zone on the rail is 85mm long which gives more adjustment possibility than most of the saddles.

GoPro mount is a little pain in the ass though :D
We produced couple of the prototypes. They worked, but too flexy when Garmin computer + heavy light with 2 18650 batteries is mounted. So we're redesigning it to be stiffer with the same weight. But this is our first project I didn't draw in CAD by myself - only consulting our other engineer, so everything moves very slow and whether we'll make the final product in a month or so or I just redesign it myself.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Vuong05

by Vuong05

Excellent work! Excited to see the final product for the computer mount with GoPro mount. That 3D printed saddle also looks very nice.
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)

Komarov
in the industry

by Komarov

photo_2021-11-11_22-25-28.jpg
Here is the recent experiment, first prototype is 160 grams, but a little too flexy in drops in my opinion . Will increase stiffness and weight a little bit to the next iteration

micky

by micky

Looks pretty good!

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Kimmoth wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:16 am
Komarov wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:05 pm
Kimmoth wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:22 pm
Hey, we've got another Berk!

Great stuff.

I have a huge recpect for Jure Berk and what he is accomplished (also seems that he is a very nice guy), but I'm really trying to go beyond just saddles production.
I just meant, here's another guy starting a thread with, check out this carbon part I made, thread continues, next thing there's a company turning out top tier kit.

*f##k* yeah :thumbup:
Great stuff :thumbup: I'm also very happy to see more people starting some projects, really glad if more ww members will start to produce some really nice parts, it brought me back to ww after quite some busy years :thumbup:

Komarov
in the industry

by Komarov

Berk wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:36 am
Kimmoth wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:16 am
Komarov wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:05 pm
Kimmoth wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:22 pm
Hey, we've got another Berk!

Great stuff.

I have a huge recpect for Jure Berk and what he is accomplished (also seems that he is a very nice guy), but I'm really trying to go beyond just saddles production.
I just meant, here's another guy starting a thread with, check out this carbon part I made, thread continues, next thing there's a company turning out top tier kit.

*f##k* yeah :thumbup:
Great stuff :thumbup: I'm also very happy to see more people starting some projects, really glad if more ww members will start to produce some really nice parts, it brought me back to ww after quite some busy years :thumbup:

Thank you Jure!!

Komarov
in the industry

by Komarov

Hi everybody, here is the result of redesign of the computer mount
1.PNG
2.PNG
3.PNG
Снимок.PNG
Should be significantly stiffer for the same weight, but tests will tell. Guess we will go for the prototyping with this V_2 iteration now (hopefully "V_final" because those metal moulds dont grow on a trees)

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Looks interesting. Hopefully the price isn't going to be a lot more than other premium competitors because of very complex designs. :D :thumbup:

Komarov
in the industry

by Komarov

Kumppa wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:33 pm
Looks interesting. Hopefully the price isn't going to be a lot more than other premium competitors because of very complex designs. :D :thumbup:
Yeah, quite a lot of custom Ti Grade5 small parts there + relatively complex mould so not an easy part. Would be tricky to make them cheap, but I hope to stay in range of 100$, hopefully even less like 85-90$.
Computer mount doesn't look like a part worth burning a hole in a pocket😂

Komarov
in the industry

by Komarov

Meanwhile I'm almost finished with a handlebar.

The funny thing is that I've spend so much time making a big and complicated mould, but when I started experimenting with the bars from other brands - I found out that the most of them actually bonded from 3 pieces :D even high end ones. Center and drops are moulded separately and then bonded together. I think basically every one of them which is painted black is made like this. Only bars with "raw carbon " surface finish like Darimo, MCFK e t.c seem to be made in a 1 piece.

Also our friends from 1 bike repaire workshop in Moscow supplied us with a handlebar whose drop is debonded from the center and the flare became adjustable :lol:

So here are the mould pictures along with the moulded bar straight out of that mould
photo_2021-10-28_15-42-19.jpg
photo_2021-12-02_15-19-48.jpg
photo_2021-12-02_15-19-26.jpg
photo_2021-12-02_15-19-38.jpg
photo_2021-12-02_15-19-41.jpg
photo_2021-12-02_15-19-45.jpg

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

i love this thread!!!! you have great skills for such a young man

Etienne

by Etienne

Komarov wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:44 pm
Kumppa wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:33 pm
Yeah, quite a lot of custom Ti Grade5 small parts there + relatively complex mould so not an easy part. Would be tricky to make them cheap, but I hope to stay in range of 100$, hopefully even less like 85-90$.
Computer mount doesn't look like a part worth burning a hole in a pocket😂
Not only a simple computer mount, your's is a reel piece of design, nice and creative, I like that !!

Komarov
in the industry

by Komarov

mike wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:43 pm
i love this thread!!!! you have great skills for such a young man
Thank you, but I'm almost 27, not 17 (teenagers start IT corporations our days), guess its completely normal skillset for every engineer.
Appreciate it anyway :D

Here is the mould I've recently machined for 155mm full carbon saddle for big-ass people like myself :D
(For 130 +/- 10mm width of the pelvis bones )
Attachments
Sedlo155mould.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Komarov
in the industry

by Komarov

Finished all mould preparations and moulded the first saddle's core. Finally the range of "raw carbon" is completely upgraded to a new design (Its not really raw if covered with lacquer, otherwise they are too slippery in my opinion - even the glossy lacquer provides a lot of extra grip comparing to a truly raw carbon fiber composite)

Anyway, here is the brief photo of 155mm, 143mm and 131mm cores before they go for a paintjob, all sharing the same initial design. I hope to ride the new 155mm through the russian snow (which is too damn deep basucally everywhere) in a week or 2 :D
Attachments
20211213_170146.jpg