Velobuild vbr-066 project

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Algreen

by Algreen

Howdy,
Just started a new project using a ton of info gleaned from this site. Very appreciative of this forum and wanted to share my experience for others.
Goal is a general-use road bike that is 6.8kg, functional and fitted for a shorter reach. Frame is a VeloBuild 2020 VB-R-066 Toray 1000 Ultra Light Road Racing Bike Frame Disc version.

Took the maiden voyage this week and am very happy with the feel, gearing (1x with 46t oval up front), and ride quality. Bike feels snappy and responsive, but smooth and sucks up vibration. Biggest opportunities to lose weight are seatpost and top cap/expander plug. FYI - this frame can accept 32c tires.

build chart

More detail and weights

Tire Goodyear F1 Eagle tubeless with Light Bicycle R45

Front wheel

Rear wheel with valve (+5g)

Last edited by Algreen on Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Algreen

by Algreen

Update #1

Enjoying the fit and feel of this bike after riding 500+ miles. Some small weight reductions.

Confrimed steerer height. Cut down steerer tube and swapped compression plug for a lighter J&L unit. $17 to save 42g, plus the steerer tube and a couple spacers.

Original seat post

New, from Carbon Store on AliExpress, $27 for 98 gram reduction. 350mm x 27.2mm

Total weight = 7.04kg, reduction of 125g

Last area of weight reduction will come from the bars, but its hard to justify the expense to gram ratio. If anyone can recommend a relatively inexpensive short reach (70mm) carbon bar, I'd appreciate a recommendation.

kidrob

by kidrob

Very nice, well done! How does it ride?

Algreen

by Algreen

kidrob wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:11 am
Very nice, well done! How does it ride?
The fit is perfect for me. The frame rides smooth, and responsive, quiet. The tubeless tires roll well and have good grip (though I haven't ridden in the heat yet), but very pleased and for the money, it's a great value.

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Very old ww curmedgeon member here... lol

I have a Velobuild R086 and pound for pound for dollar, its one of the best bikes I've ridden. It serves as my bad weather and training horse... I beat the sh•t out of it all the time. Ride it on trails, gravel, you name it... Take a lickin and keeps on tickin. I'm very interested in seeing someone build the newest R186 (SL-7 Like) and R177 (Aethos-Like plus hidden cables)

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=160466&p=1547317&h ... 6#p1547317

I was very disappointed this thread didn't receive more activity.

Algreen

by Algreen

Thanks Rich_W. I looked at the more the aero frames velobuild offered and unfortunately they didn't fit me as well (too long of a reach, TT length). Would like the weight to be in 6.8kg range, but the frame has energy and moves quickly, so I don't feel it. You're right the frame can accept a wide tire and I may ride some gravel with this bike. Seems like a good all-arounder.

LouisN

by LouisN

Very nice model, I like it :beerchug: !!

I used Google Translate to find what's written on your bike and got..."flour" :| :P ?

Louis :)

Algreen

by Algreen

LouisN wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:40 pm
Very nice model, I like it :beerchug: !!

I used Google Translate to find what's written on your bike and got..."flour" :| :P ?

Louis :)
Ha! Mjölnir is Thor's hammer.
Last edited by Algreen on Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arnomatic

by Arnomatic

I have the same handlebars as you! Looking at Prime Primavera X-Light ones. 40cm at 169g🤔, at £129 in the UK. Interested to hear if anyone has anything to say about them!

Algreen

by Algreen

Arnomatic wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:40 pm
I have the same handlebars as you! Looking at Prime Primavera X-Light ones. 40cm at 169g🤔, at £129 in the UK. Interested to hear if anyone has anything to say about them!
That's a good deal for that much weight reduction, but it looks like they don't yet make that bar in 38cm. I'm happy with the shape and size of the 38cm Zipp Ergo SL.

Arnomatic

by Arnomatic

Algreen wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:19 pm
That's a good deal for that much weight reduction, but it looks like they don't yet make that bar in 38cm. I'm happy with the shape and size of the 38cm Zipp Ergo SL.
I am in the same camp. Wondering if the 40cm would be a nice bit of extra leverage for climbing, but I like everything about my Zipps. Following this to see if you find a better alternative!

Arnomatic

by Arnomatic

Algreen wrote:
Arnomatic wrote:
Update on this, I bought the 40cm for £75 off eBay and fitted them last week, I think they weighed in at 182g. They feel great! Honestly not noticing much difference between these and the Zipps. The slight width increase feels more comfortable to me and I do feel like I have a little more leverage.

Obviously that'll vary for other people, but I'd recommend these bars if you were curious to try something a little wider, and a lot lighter!

Algreen

by Algreen

Arnomatic wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:49 am
Algreen wrote:
Arnomatic wrote:
Update on this, I bought the 40cm for £75 off eBay and fitted them last week, I think they weighed in at 182g. They feel great! Honestly not noticing much difference between these and the Zipps. The slight width increase feels more comfortable to me and I do feel like I have a little more leverage.

Obviously that'll vary for other people, but I'd recommend these bars if you were curious to try something a little wider, and a lot lighter!
Nice savings for the money. Glad it worked out. My search continues for a 38cm, 70mm reach in that price range.

flying

by flying

Missed this first time around & glad it popped up again :wink:

Nice Job Congrats! :beerchug:

Sits nice & looks proper
Weights already very good for a disc bike too :thumbup:

Nice presentation & spec list too!

Algreen

by Algreen

Long term update: 2,600 miles.
Current weight: 6.98kg including bottle holders and computer mount.

Bike continues to be solid, light, comfortable, and fast! Very happy with the fit for my short reach. Latest updates include
-switching tires to Schawlbe Pro One tubeless which are absolutely faster than the Goodyear's,
-Added the new wahoo bolt2 which has been great (looking for power meter next)
-And new seat. The Toseek seat was comfortable, but too wide for my hips at 142mm. Happy with the EC90 (comfort and weight), and want to like the short-nose OG-Evkin, but need to give it more time.

Last WW mod will be handlebars. Leaning towards the EXS carbon bars, but my size is currently out of stock.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com