Kirk Onesto

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

JaewooKim

by JaewooKim

Far from a weight weenie build but I am having David Kirk, one of America’s best custom framebuilders, build me a full stainless steel frame called the Onesto.

First the geometry:

Aiming for a stable handler (~58mm trail, 77mm BB drop, etc.) with just the right amount of stiffness for my needs. 3.5 degrees of TT slope for a bit of seatpost showing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by JaewooKim on Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JaewooKim

by JaewooKim

So far the front triangle is done with the rear scheduled to be attached sometime next week...

Last edited by JaewooKim on Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JaewooKim

by JaewooKim

Mr. Kirk is arguably the best fillet-brazer in the business. So clean and simple. Hard to make something look this simple.

DHG01

by DHG01

Nice looking. What fork did you have in mind? Components?

I recently completed an XCR build; I am delighted with the ride.

Quite impressive seat stay; they are shaped by the frame builder I assume.

jbaillie

by jbaillie

I've noticed on his page that some of the Onesto builds have the curved stays and some don't. Any particular reason you got it with them?

TimmS

by TimmS

:shock: Sexy legs!

DHG01

by DHG01

I read a bit through his site; David Kirk seems like a great guy. I like his approach towards framebuilding, technology and racing.

His below article comparing a 90s steel build with today's builds is pretty interesting.

He puts together stiffness and and how the bike maneuvers; which is not that frequent (more frequently stiffness is related to power efficiency).

http://kirkframeworks.com/2019/04/15/ol ... rk-onesto/

synchronicity

by synchronicity

Lord those joins look like perfection! :shock:
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

JaewooKim

by JaewooKim

Finished and ready to ship...

JaewooKim

by JaewooKim

DHG01 wrote:Nice looking. What fork did you have in mind? Components?

I recently completed an XCR build; I am delighted with the ride.

Quite impressive seat stay; they are shaped by the frame builder I assume.
David Kirk builds custom forks to complement his frames - this gives him flexibility to fine-tune the handling with an optimal trail figure for each rider. In many other builders’ cases frames are bespoke but they are shipped with carbon forks. Great forks I’m sure but I strongly felt a custom frameset should include a matching custom fork.

Those seatstays are bent by hand, by Dave. The frameset is made from Reynolds’ XCR equivalent, the 953 but specific to Dave’s requirements.

Going with Record Mechanical, eeBrakes, Bora WTO 60s (thanks to Black Friday sale), and a few bits from my current bike!

JaewooKim

by JaewooKim

jbaillie wrote:I've noticed on his page that some of the Onesto builds have the curved stays and some don't. Any particular reason you got it with them?
Curved stays act as a micro suspension in order to aid rear tire traction on less-than-perfect roads. I almost always ride on paved roads so you can say they are an overkill but I just love the way they look. Unique is what I was going for.

JaewooKim

by JaewooKim

DHG01 wrote:I read a bit through his site; David Kirk seems like a great guy. I like his approach towards framebuilding, technology and racing.

His below article comparing a 90s steel build with today's builds is pretty interesting.

He puts together stiffness and and how the bike maneuvers; which is not that frequent (more frequently stiffness is related to power efficiency).

http://kirkframeworks.com/2019/04/15/ol ... rk-onesto/
I think a custom frame means two things - custom geometry and custom stiffness. Custom geometry is easy to understand but custom stiffness is less so because most of us believe stiffer is always better.

If you walk into a club fitting (golf), the fitter analyzes your build, power, swing speed, etc. and recommends a shaft with just the right amount of flex in order to, supposedly, optimize your swing. I think custom framebuilding is a similar exercise. I’m not as powerful and fast as someone like Brooks Koepka so I won’t fit his shafts to my clubs. I don’t put out the same watts as Peter Sagan so... You get the idea.

Based on your size, weight, riding style, etc. most competent builders will be able to choose the tubing to match each rider’s abilities. This is fascinating to me.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Dream bike. I'd have one in a heartbeat. Can't wait to see this built.

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

I agree on your thoughts on what a custom bike should be as well as how custom bikes should come with matching forks. The frame looks great.

Looking forward to how this comes together.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JaewooKim

by JaewooKim

And it’s done...

First time on Campy and eeBrakes!

(Photos courtesy of BikeMakesMeHappy)