Factor O2 VAM frame and fork weights - Final Build, Photos, Ride Report Page 6

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

The frame, size 56, includes derailleur hanger @ 10.5 grams so a true measure of 724.5 grams:

The fork uncut, the cut took off 16 grams so 259 grams :shock: :shock: :shock: :

The build dilemma: the frame was supposed to be mechanical but arrived as electronic only. I am reluctant to return the frame. So much for acheiving a superlight build the easy way - I was going to slap Sram Red 22 mechanical on it and keep it simple and light.

Would be happy with ETap 22 but pretty tough to get I'm told. No way I am going AXS, so that means Dura Ace Di2.

Two questions - anybody run 1190 11-32 cassette on DA Di2? Is it quiet? I am not going to the Ultegra long cage rd.

Or should I scrounge for and eTap 11 speed group? I want to avoid internal wires.

Please smack me around and tell me what to do.
Last edited by Mr.Gib on Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

11-32 1190 on short cage shimano is fine. It will be a little noiser and it won't shift as well but it's 85% of dura ace shifting. It's worth the weight and durability for me but I'm not sure if it will for you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LewisK

by LewisK

Why are you so against AXS? Wait around long enough and I'm sure Etap 11speed would pop up, but that may not be an option if you want it built asap.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

LewisK wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:03 am
Why are you so against AXS? Wait around long enough and I'm sure Etap 11speed would pop up, but that may not be an option if you want it built asap.
I have a good supply of 1190 cassettes and I am not thrilled about converting cassette bodies on a couple of wheelsets which then means not being able to use them on other bikes. I have also seen enough concerns about reliability/shifting issues to give me pause.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

LewisK

by LewisK

Yea I know what you mean about the free hub bodies. It's a shame that Etap 11 is so hard to get hold of as there still seems to be a reasonable demand for it.

KCookie

by KCookie

I used to use 11-28 and 11-32 Sram cassettes with DA DI2 but just couldn't get them to shift correctly no matter what was adjusted.
Got so fed up I changed to 11-28 DA cassette and have had perfect shifting ever since.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Last edited by KCookie on Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

kode54

by kode54

I’m have Di2 9150 RD with oversized 12/14T pulley wheels with Ultegra 11/32T cassette. Also have Factor direct mount RD hanger. Works fine w no shifting issues. HG901 chain.

Although I rarely cross chain but have on occasions found myself in big-big. Minor noise so I know I’m cross chained but probably more due to chain being stretched to its limits.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kode54

by kode54

I’ve had 1190 11/28 on before but only moved to Ultegra 11/32T for gear ratio more than noise, etc.

I didn’t want to shell out for a $$$ 1190 at the 11/32 size. Ultegra cassettes are plentiful and can easily be found on sale.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

kode54 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:02 pm
I’ve had 1190 11/28 on before but only moved to Ultegra 11/32T for gear ratio more than noise, etc.

I didn’t want to shell out for a $$$ 1190 at the 11/32 size. Ultegra cassettes are plentiful and can easily be found on sale.
This is an option of course, but to put an Ultegra cassette on a 725 gram frame? The rest will be ee brakes, 1250 gram wheelset, 230 gram barstem combo, 130 gram seatpost. Ultegra cassette would be some sort of crime. :cry:

MichaelK

by MichaelK

kode54 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:58 pm
I’m have Di2 9150 RD with oversized 12/14T pulley wheels with Ultegra 11/32T cassette. Also have Factor direct mount RD hanger. Works fine w no shifting issues. HG901 chain.

Although I rarely cross chain but have on occasions found myself in big-big. Minor noise so I know I’m cross chained but probably more due to chain being stretched to its limits.
What size is your frame? I.e. what length chainstays do you have?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

dont go etap11.. too hard to source.

levers and FD are scarce.. RD is no issue because they re-released an 11sp with clutch. F'k SRAM!
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Wookski

by Wookski

LewisK wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:03 am
He also mentioned wanting a lightweight build- that rules out AXS.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

It's has to be Dura Ace di2. I won't do better.

It's an interesting problem. An electronic only frame is so clean - beautifully free of blank grommets covering up unused cable ports, no porthole or cable guide under the bb. The downside is if you ever want to run mechanical (or have the lightest build possible) you are SOL.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

So it seems that there is no longer such thing as a mechanical drivetrain VAM. This info doesn't seem to have made it's way to the company website, nor has it appeared in the press. It makes sense - at the very high end people just want electronic shifting.

So gone are the bottom bracket trap door and downtube openings and the attending reinforcement that would add weight. The net result is a lighter frame. Yes indeed there is the new all integrated VAM but that bike is disc only. For the WW there is the rim brake model (at least for now). Both the frame and fork seem to be a bit lighter than the disc counterpart. The rim brake fork is insanely light.
Last edited by Mr.Gib on Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

>