Factor O2 VAM frame and fork weights - Final Build, Photos, Ride Report Page 6

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Maddie

by Maddie

Di2 is a piece of cake, you can do that easily. Just make yourself a plan which cable goes where and measure the length. And make them a bit longer would be my advice. Nothing worse than a cable that is 5cm too short (I know the feeling...). Some cable ties around the cable in the downtube prevent the rattling. Ew-wu111 is nice if you want to have bluetooth functionality.

kode54

by kode54

The top bearing cover with tail lip fits quite a few stems...especially the Enve stems...looks like it was made for it.
In regards to building Di2, its easy...although the first time was a bit time consuming, not knowing what to do and watching youTube vids quite a bit. One tip is to put everything together (Di2 components) and wire it like you would in the bike before putting everything in just to make sure that 1) you wire it correctly and 2) flush out any component that isn't working properly (if you bought anything used).

The reason why I'm asking about the bar/stem combo...I'm on the fence about the fixed position of the integrated handlebar. No flexibility for moving or shifting position. I may ultimately lean towards the Darimo combo mainly to match my Darimo seatpost. This is on a rim brake AX build that I put together with parts I already had (not the Darimo bar and stem) and didn't want to buy anything specific for the build to see how light I can get with parts I had. No handlebar tape yet but its at 11.55lbs. I happen to have a pair of Carbonworks bottle cages at 15g that'll go on it. Oh, and I repurposed some 10spd Lightweight wheels with an Edco monobloc cassette that seems to work with the 10spd freehub. I'm using the special lockring made for 10-11spd conversion.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

Maddie wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:49 pm
Di2 is a piece of cake, you can do that easily. Just make yourself a plan which cable goes where and measure the length. And make them a bit longer would be my advice. Nothing worse than a cable that is 5cm too short (I know the feeling...). Some cable ties around the cable in the downtube prevent the rattling. Ew-wu111 is nice if you want to have bluetooth functionality.
I ended up using 1/4" foam insulation to pass the eTube wires in. My previous Factor O2 made noise with the cable ties. Maybe I didn't put enough on the wires but somehow, it rattled maybe 2-3 months after the build...so it must've settled down a bit and found a place to rattle. I didn't feel like pulling off the BB to locate the noise but it did bug me.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Foam tubing is the way to go. Never had confidence in cable ties.

One other Di2 question. The battery holder just gets stuffed up the seat post. How do you make that super secure? I have a fear that going over bumps could knock it loose.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

kode54

by kode54

Mr.Gib wrote:Foam tubing is the way to go. Never had confidence in cable ties.

One other Di2 question. The battery holder just gets stuffed up the seat post. How do you make that super secure? I have a fear that going over bumps could knock it loose.
Enve makes rubber stoppers that hold the battery tight and it gets squeezed into the seat tube bottom. I’ve tried others but in most cases the fit was never as great like the Enve ones. It stays in very well.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kode54

by kode54

The Darimo parts are really light...in fact the IX2 and Ellipse bar is still much lighter than the Bontrager XXX bar stem combo. I didn't have good experience withthe Bontrager XXX stem (newest version)...cracked one in half...not completely cracked but partially. If I had my Enve stem on, I'm sure it wouldn't have happened. That said, the Darimo is much lighter than the Bontrager XXX stem and Enve so I'm no sure I can trust that either.

I have the Black inc. bar/stem and its still much heavier than the Darimo combo. That on my VAM O2.
Mr.Gib wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:42 pm
My XXXbars have been sitting somewhere in the USPS system for 6 days without a tracking update. Yes its the Xmas rush but I am starting to worry. Totally itching to get the build going, but also waiting on the Di2 groupset.

I watched a couple of videos on building up Di2 and it looks super easy. I do all my own wrenching but have never built Di2. I was going to have a good shop do it but now I think I should. I hate having a shop touch my bikes - in their quest for speed and efficiency, even good ones seem to mess things up. Never had a bike come back without something wrong or that should have been done better.

Re the Darimo stuff, I looked at it, crazy light and I do like the flexibility of the separate bar and stem. But without justification I don't trust the strength of the Darimo bar or stem as much as the Bontrager. Also the profile of the steerer clamp on the Bontrager seems to match the top spacer same as the Black Inc. stuff so in the end a better aesthetic as well.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

young

by young

I'm glad I got the v1 vam, since you can run mechanical and also not have to use black inc integrated cockpit for the internal cable routing.

6.68 with 5.6
6.44 with g23
Attachments
IMG_20201226_105532_01.jpg

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

That's nice. I love the Attaquer colour scheme. I did worry however that years down the road I might tire of it or it could look dated. Time will tell. I'm happy with the boring black/red.

Yes, the version 1 VAM gives owners the mechanical option. However my bike is a bit of a unicorn - rim brake version 2. So no mechanical drive train, but not integrated cabling either - Di2 wire enters the frame with the rear brake cable. My understanding is that Factor wanted to get rid the big openings in the down tube and bottom bracket to increase stiffness while at the same time allow the use of less material for a lighter frame. That's good, but reducing options is a tradeoff. Interestingly, this V2 rim brake frame is not mentioned on their website.

When I see your weights I am starting to wonder if I might get below 6kg. I suspect not as I am stuck with a 270 gram saddle. :(
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

CR987

by CR987

If I had used a full Dura Ace groupset and maybe ee brakes I could have got down to 5.9kg. I am using my non-negotiable 200g Fabric saddle.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=162923&p=1595743#p1595743

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

So I should see sub 6kg given that I am using ee brakes and full Dura Ace (Sram Red cassette). Also my seatpost barstem combo are lighter then yours (136g, and 230g respectively). I might even make sub 6 with relatively heavy tires (Corsa 28mm). And of course with a set of tubulars, I should have no problem going sub 6. Not bad for a size 56.

young

by young

Mr.Gib wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:36 pm
That's nice. I love the Attaquer colour scheme. I did worry however that years down the road I might tire of it or it could look dated. Time will tell. I'm happy with the boring black/red.

Yes, the version 1 VAM gives owners the mechanical option. However my bike is a bit of a unicorn - rim brake version 2. So no mechanical drive train, but not integrated cabling either - Di2 wire enters the frame with the rear brake cable. My understanding is that Factor wanted to get rid the big openings in the down tube and bottom bracket to increase stiffness while at the same time allow the use of less material for a lighter frame. That's good, but reducing options is a tradeoff. Interestingly, this V2 rim brake frame is not mentioned on their website.

When I see your weights I am starting to wonder if I might get below 6kg. I suspect not as I am stuck with a 270 gram saddle. :(
I love the colorway. it's simple design, knew it wouldnt look dated. but I could have saved at least 50g by getting the matte finish.

btw sub 6 all day with tubs.

or 1x
in the pic no power meter, running tubeless 28mm on g23

btw without my power meter I could drop another 110g.
Attachments
IMG_20200827_140739.jpg

kode54

by kode54

Nice weight with disc brakes.

Looks good. I have the matte finish with red tab stripes which I painted gloss black.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

young wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:48 am
I love the colorway. it's simple design, knew it wouldnt look dated. but I could have saved at least 50g by getting the matte finish.

or 1x

No doubt, that colour scheme is as nice as it gets. Dramatic and classy at the same time. (Truth be told, I didn't have a colour choice, and for what I paid, I didn't deserve one. :D )

Sub 6 for disc is always impressive but on a bike you could ride or race all day, every day, that is pretty amazing.

G23, hookless? What tires? What pressure? But still, those wheels are over 1300 grams. You could loose another 200 grams if you wanted.

I guess I will have to buy a hanging scale. I'm starting to get enthusiastic about how low I can go.
Must...resist...urge...to...buy...Clavicula....

young

by young

Mr.Gib wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:19 pm
young wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:48 am

or 1x
:up:

No doubt, that colour scheme is as nice as it gets. Dramatic and classy at the same time. (Truth be told, I didn't have a colour choice, and for what I paid, I didn't deserve one. :D )

Sub 6 for disc is always impressive but on a bike you could ride or race all day, every day, that is pretty amazing.

G23, hookless? What tires? What pressure? But still, those wheels are over 1300 grams. You could loose another 200 grams if you wanted.

I guess I will have to buy a hanging scale. I'm starting to get enthusiastic about how low I can go.
Must...resist...urge...to...buy...Clavicula....
enve g23, hookless with tape and valve 1311.2g

pro tt 28mm. 40-45psi

I've seen sub 1k tubs.... but I'm a tubeless fanboy 😁

I've rode over 1k miles on the 1x set up. loved the lightness of the daily.
Attachments
IMG_20200826_200745.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

@young, you and I are obviously in different weight categories. I can see by the size of your frame and tire pressure that you are nowhere near my 77kg (172lb). Ten years ago if you had told somebody that you were riding around at 40 - 45psi in the road, they would have thought you were insane. That's technology. Still 40 psi is startlingly low. But if the tire doesn't distort too much on hard cornering then 40 psi is just fine.

That's a very nice wheelset - very light including tape and valves, but for pure road application, I think i'd always go for more aero. My Farsports Kaze 35mm on Carbon ti are around 1250 grams and deeper wheels can be had in the 1300's. And some of the lightest Farsports in disc are in the 1100's. The big brands really have serious competition which is a good thing.