Factor O2 VAM frame and fork weights - Final Build, Photos, Ride Report Page 6

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

@maxim809 to add to the dilemma, I am in the process of recovering from a grade 3 shoulder separation. I don't even know if I will be able to handle my typical reach. The level of drop doesn't seem to matter, but I am starting to wonder if the arm will be as happy when it is extended forward as it was pre-injury. This means an prolonged period using standard stem and bars before committing to an one piece barstem. Apparently this type of injury is a long road to recovery. Total PIA.
dmetzinger wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:26 pm
I want to make sure that whatever I choose matches up well with the spacers on the VAM and doesn't look like crap as the Black Inc barstem does look great.
What I have noticed is that most carbon stems, whether standalone or part of a one piece barstem, seem to have a profile that matches well with the supplied spacers, particularely the turned up tail part. Alloy stems generally do not match up. If you use a stem that does not match, you then need at least a small stack regular spacer to keep the stem bolt area clear of the turned up tail of the top VAM spacer. Sometimes only a couple of millimeters are needed to clear so it's not horrible looking.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

dmetzinger

by dmetzinger

Bummer on the Grade 3 Separation. I had the same injury after crashing a little over a year ago. I didn't go the surgery route as the doc said surgery would lead to a loooong recovery and would only substantively fix the "bump" that I am sure you have as well. I was able to Zwift about a week after and starting riding outside after a month. Luckily it hasn't affected riding much but I still get can get a lot of pain on any descents that last over a few minutes and have not gone off road since the crash. I still can't sleep on that side either.

I think I'm going to go with a Zipp SL Speed stem (non matte version that matches VAM raw carbon) and Most/Pinarello Jaguar XFC bar so that I have the same bar set up as the F10. I have to say that my comments about the Black Inc barstem as far as the sharp bend are probably due to the fact that I should have went one size smaller which exacerbates the issue - mark that down as user order error. I also noticed a bit of fork flex when standing on some short 15-20% grades yesterday but no bar flex so that's good. The fork flex is understandable as I'm not small guy and it's a lightweight fork - it wasn't terrible and the frame/fork feels solid and predictable.

Good luck with the rest of the build and watch eBay for my 120/44 Black Inc barstem, coming soon!
Seven Axiom SG - Force AXS rim brake
Colnago C50 - Campy Chorus 12
Wilier Filante - SRAM Force/Red AXS
Wilier Zero SLR - Red AXS

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Wow, same grade 3 separation. The discomfort descending is concerning. My summers are usually spent going up and down in a mountain range somewhere. Do you get pain in the shoulder from resisting braking forces? Or is it the vibration? or something else? Also did the injury affect your bike setup as far as reach goes? Yeah the bump aint pretty. I was out on the road yesterday but I am clearly nowhere ready to ride yet. I think I need another month. Indoors on the trainer for 45 minutes is OK. Lots of physio in my future.

I just spent 20 minutes searching for a deal on a Zipp SL Speed Carbon Stem. The clamp area profile looks like it matches the VAM spacers perfectly. I thought I had a Black Inc stem on the way, but it turns out it was not my required 120mm length. Right now the rolling chassis has a Pro PLT stem and a regular round space underneath it. I might have to use that temporarily until I get my head straight on what the ultimate solution for bar and stem will be.

Nice to hear about that 120/44 coming up for sale. Did you have a verified weight for it? My guess is 350 grams. It would probably be ideal for me, but I believe it is possible to be 100 grams lighter without comprimise. Either with the Roval or Bontrager, and 80 grams lighter with the Black Inc stem and Schmolke TLO bar. My thought process is almost schyzoprenic on the issue of whether the 100 grams matters - that Black Inc is a beauty and is the brand correct piece for the build. Still going back and forth on it.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

dmetzinger

by dmetzinger

I think the pain descending is a combo of the injury and a tendency to have pain on the left side of my neck (probably due to some sporting injury in the past as well) since it tends to be sharper in my neck. It's only on long, twisty descents like Mt. Diablo out here in the SF Bay Area which has something like 3500 feet of descending and quite a few switchbacks.

I got a Most handlebar on eBay with a size/shape/reach/drop exactly the same as the barstem on my F10. I am going to check fit and do a few test rides once it arrives with an aluminum stem I have on hand before I order a carbon stem but will post pics of the cockpit once finalized. Plan is still raw carbon Zipp SSL Speed.

I didn't weigh the Black Inc barstem but here's a link to the guy I bought from with a 354g weight listed for a 110/44:

https://www.cyclingupgrades.com/collect ... rmin-mount

The barstem is a really nice component and looks great with the frame.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

The pain on the left side of the neck is likely from the local muscles trying to support the shoulder in lieu of the ligaments that are gone.

A lot of people seem to love the shape of the Most bar. Heavy stuff though. I have committed to a Bontrager XXX integrated. Had to go with the lightest option. Sized down a bit in light of my injury. Actually went with the 100/40. Given the bar has 93mm reach that would be the equivalent of about a 120 stem and a 75mm reach bar. Just a cm short and 2cm narrower than my usual set up. I think the shoulder will appreciate it.

Now all I have to do is resist the urge to splurge on a Clavicula SE.

Maddie

by Maddie

Why resist?

Gesendet von meinem MAR-LX1A mit Tapatalk

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Maddie wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:19 pm
Why resist?
My first concern is that I am convinced (no data to support) that even with Praxis rings, there is no way the Clavicula will shift as well as the Dura Ace crank. And second, IIRC the savings will be less then 200 grams at a marginal cost of about $1000 CAD. (Clavicula minus Dura Ace cost). I also wonder about stiffness - I am 76kg with decent peak power for an old guy, and do some real hard training at various points in the year.

Maddie

by Maddie

I see. I have/had both Extralite and Praxis chainrings. The weight of Extralite is nice (sub 100gr for the set) but I found the shifting to be miles away from Shimano. Upshifting under load next to impossible and even with almost 0 load it was a bit of luck if the shift went fine or not. Overshifts or chain stuck between chainrings when downshifting from time to time.
Praxis are a lot better and almost as good as Shimano. I still use them on my Venge. Ultegra and Dura Ace chainrings buttery smooth, in all situations. If you are not willing to compromise at all on your shifting then go with Shimano.
All the shifting with Di2 BTW, can't comment on mechanical.

dmetzinger

by dmetzinger

Mr.Gib wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:01 pm
The pain on the left side of the neck is likely from the local muscles trying to support the shoulder in lieu of the ligaments that are gone.

A lot of people seem to love the shape of the Most bar. Heavy stuff though. I have committed to a Bontrager XXX integrated. Had to go with the lightest option. Sized down a bit in light of my injury. Actually went with the 100/40. Given the bar has 93mm reach that would be the equivalent of about a 120 stem and a 75mm reach bar. Just a cm short and 2cm narrower than my usual set up. I think the shoulder will appreciate it.
I agree on the neck pain which is why I now indoor row 3 times a week - I need to get stronger in all the areas around the shoulder. The Most bar will be a bit heavy for sure. It's worth it for me to mirror a setup I already know/like and I'm hoping it won't be much heavier than the Black Inc barstem if the stem I settle on is kinda light. Let us know how the XXXs perform, they look great and are certainly lightweight.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

@dmetzinger, Rowing? that should firm up the shoulder. My hard body wife built a complete gym in our house so I have options. Right now I am just working with rubber bands. I am just 6 weeks post injury and only have about 50% range of motion. Zero strength raising my arm. Did manage a two hour ride yesterday :D but the shoulder started to crap out after about 90 minutes :cry: I suspect I won't feel right for several months.

Re the Bontrager XXX bars, the size I purchase is alleged to weigh about 225 grams - so as light as the Darimo combo. I assume with the Shimano hoods I'll be able to achieve a comfortable setup. The real test will be stiffness. I never liked rock solid bars - I preferred some give to save the hands on longer rides. OTOH I will not appreciate a noodle either. We'll see. I guess with the messed up shoulder I might never have the upper body strength that would benefit from stiffer bars anyway.

CR987

by CR987

I don't use the black Inc bar/stem combo and I think it looks just fine. This is an S-Works stem.
I also have a Deda Superzero that I might use instead which is matt instead of the gloss black.
Attachments
IMG_20201215_170607.jpg

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

@CR987 you just have to be careful regarding the profile of underside of the stem in the fork steerer clamping area. If it does not clear the angled lip on the uppermost spacer with will force that little guy to stretch and perhaps crack. Also the preload on the headset might not be right as a result. If you have doubts just put a thin regular space above that uppermost Factor spacer. Looks OK in the photo but hard to tell for sure.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

A little interesting tidbit that speaks to the integrity of Factor's manufacturing - the bottom bracket shell came marked with what I assume are measurements taken during quality control.

A nice touch. Now let's hope that extraordinarily minimal ledge where the BB will rest is up to the job. No more full carbon tube in the BB shell, just about a cm of flat surface ring at the edges in the new VAMs. The penetration of light makes it look very rough but in person it is a very clean finish. Image

kode54

by kode54

I had the same writings on the same labels as yours. Its a nice touch and evokes the craftsmanship in their QC.

Did you get your Bontrager XXX bar/stem yet? I want to go lighter on another bike and looking for a light bar/stem solution or go with the Darimo IX2 w Eclipse bar. Right now on that bike, I have a MCFK stem with an Enve road bar (40) that I'm using from my parts bin. A Darimo bar would save some grams.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

My XXXbars have been sitting somewhere in the USPS system for 6 days without a tracking update. Yes its the Xmas rush but I am starting to worry. Totally itching to get the build going, but also waiting on the Di2 groupset.

I watched a couple of videos on building up Di2 and it looks super easy. I do all my own wrenching but have never built Di2. I was going to have a good shop do it but now I think I should. I hate having a shop touch my bikes - in their quest for speed and efficiency, even good ones seem to mess things up. Never had a bike come back without something wrong or that should have been done better.

Re the Darimo stuff, I looked at it, crazy light and I do like the flexibility of the separate bar and stem. But without justification I don't trust the strength of the Darimo bar or stem as much as the Bontrager. Also the profile of the steerer clamp on the Bontrager seems to match the top spacer same as the Black Inc. stuff so in the end a better aesthetic as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com