Klein Quantum Pro 2001 (6.49 + pics)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

stanvr

by stanvr

Okay so here we go, I got too excited to postpone this any longer, and at the end of the day the weather turned okay enough to compliment the KLEIN's colours.

Hold on Stan, boil the kettle and get comfortable, this should be good.

I left on the 3d printed Garmin mounts last time, but unfortunately, that hasn't worked out well enough yet. As stated before, a bike that you can't wheelie, is not really a bike is it? That led to the conclusion that a Garmin flying miles away after each wheelie (or bump for that matter) and then having to reprint a mount wasn't that useful. So for now, that's on hold...

So what happened?
I've redone the rear wheel with the Tune hub, and the freehub sound is insane (I care a lot :roll: ). I like that I have a self-built wheelset now under my belt, and I like to do more in the future. The spokes I used were nothing special at all, just standard black, so I think I actually could have saved quite a bit of weight, but I wanted to keep my first build as straight forward (and cheap) as I could.

Last post also showed the DIY seatpost clamp, so it was time to finally install the Elita One post again. I actually cracked the first one upon the frame entry, and after inspecting it, it was obvious the frame had very, very sharp edges, which likely caused the post to crack. Therefore, I filed down the edges a little, which seemed to have done the trick.
Something with short legs means a low saddle, so I figured the post could use a cut. Another first, so estimated this could go:
The post and his amputated undercarriage:

I cut the post, steerer and laced the wheel all in my hometown shop, and luckily they have scales around, so, brace yourself, hold your breath Stan.
First off, the new seatcombo, since I was kinda wondering what the Speedneedle combined with the post would weigh.
Wowsie, 180ish grams! Taking in account the first setup (Arione + Thomson) was 455.. That's half the weight, and then another 100 grams saved. Happy kid.

Now I figured I was ready to put the entire bike to the scale. Since there was only 7.5 kg at the start, this moment was quite frightening. Sub 7? I hope so. Recall this weight is including pedals, Garmin sensors and the K-edge mount, because no cheatery.
Frig, 6.84!!! Life could be a lot worse! Not bad for an alloy frame of 2001, with alloy clinchers, and no extremely expensive boutique parts.
But then, some wizardry happened, and a pair of Aerothans showed up a little while later at the shop. If I want to give those a go? hmm... let me think...

If my math doesn't let me down, that is another 118 grams saved! That would result in a 6.72/6.73 kg bike! The stem has also changed to a Kalloy Uno by now with Ti bolts, and that should be a little lighter than the Syntace that was coming off. So, I think I think the actual weight is going close to a high 6.6..
So, 6.7 kgs. I don't really know what to say anymore, but obviously I am very happy! Cracking a celebratory beer!!!

Ofcourse, there are still ways to improve, the easiest being with going to a Red cassette, but I just can't seem to justify the prices of those things.. Actually, can I justify this built for my student budget? Probably not...

Time for dinner now, will post the pictures of the little photoshoot I did tonight! There's some darn good pictures there;)
Last edited by stanvr on Wed May 19, 2021 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

stanvr

by stanvr

Dinner's done and dusted, and besides amazing food, my No.2 (bike is No.1 obviously) makes amazing pictures! I hope y'all enjoy! And for the record, these wheels don't make 6.7 kg, but I like the look of them better!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

themidge

by themidge

That's a proper bike right there :thumbup:

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Excellent work right there

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

DHG01

by DHG01

Great work. I really enjoy these builds, with attention to detail and plenty of thought put in.

optionclick

by optionclick

Off the chart - love it!
Wilier Cento Uno // Specialized Crux Expert X1 // Felt F4X // Scott Scale 10 // Cervelo R3

stanvr

by stanvr

It has been a real long time since I've posted an update on the Klein, but babysteps have made quite a step in the end. The main reason to speak up again, is that last month me and the bike were covered in a story by the Dutch magazine Fiets.nl. I must confess, that was a very big honour to the work that has been put in to the Quantum Pro.

They took some really great pictures, which I will post in a second, but first I'll try to recollect what the bike has been through the last years. We left of on a lot of good pictures and sub 6.8. Since then, a few parts have changed, and more than a few rides and memories were made! In no particular order:
- An Extralite Hyperstem was put on, including the Extralite garminmount. I was afraid that this would affect stiffness or would feel flimsy, but it has held up great. It's light and looks good, so a definite win in my book. Ofcourse this is mounted with the shim between the steerer and stem, due to the 1 1/16 fork of the Quantum Pro.

- I changed the bottle cages to some Arundel Mandible's, and gave them the Arnez/RoJ treatment. The Lightweight's looked okay imo, but I struggled with a lot of bottles to have a good hold/grip. Tacx were okay, but a lot of others were just loose and rately. Mandible's have a great grip, and look better too (again, in my opinion).

- I put on the Schwalbe Aerothan tubes to the climbing wheels, but strangely both front and rear tubes have blew out the rim tape and themselves unfortunately on short (Limburg, the Netherlands and Luxemburg) descents. This was after I switched them from the Stan's wheelset to DT Swiss, and I think changing wheels or tires is not recommended by Schwalbe. The DT wheels had a very thin, single layer of rim tape, so I hope if I double that up, the Aerothans can go back in. In the end, the offer great weight savings and a supple ride.

-On the driveside of things, I went to an Edco Monoblock cassette instead of Ultegra, and tried a 12 speed FSA K-Force Light chain. The monoblock is a piece of art and way lighter, and together with the 12speed chain, I think shifting is really good and the drivetrain operates quietly, so I'm happy with that!

- Then I also reworked the Tune Speedneedle, as the one that I had was pretty ugly. The padding was torn off, and I ordered some Alcantara from the friends over at Ali. Together with some spray glue and a pair of scissors, and a lot patience, I made a new cover. There is no padding, and the weight dropped over 10 grams. The shape of the speedneedle works for me, so no padding is fine and the Alcantara looks good and gives good grip.

-Then on the wheel side of things, there have been changes too. The Tune/Alpha340 set has been retired for now, due to creaking of the Tune hub :cry: ... This was bound to happen I think, and it drove me nuts. I picked up a set of DT Swiss rr21 wheels, and they have been great allrounders. Fairly low weight, and the DT 240 hub just works. I want to rebuild the Alpha340's some day with a proper rear hub, and lighter spokes, but for now it has low priority (unless someone wants to get rid of an Extralite 28h??). Then I also found a set of Bora tubulars, which I wanted to try since I didn't have any experience with tubs. I found NOS Gommitalia Espresso tubs in 21,5mm and stuck them on, and the ride is sublime! So responsive, great cornering and somehow they just work, although I'm mixed on the Campy/Sram combo.

This was the weight with the Aerothan's and Tune wheels, really pleased with the weight, not so much with the creaks..

There have been more changes but I don't remember them all right now, but feel free to ask of course. Next post will have the pictures that were made by Fiets Magazine, that was with the Bora's. Pictured weight then is still only 6.63kg :)

Thanks all for all the inspiration over time, I'm planning on buying/building a gravelbike now but undecisive on frame....

stanvr

by stanvr

As promised, pictures by Fiets.nl. A few of the lot, picked the ones I like or show some of the changes or details.

This thing just puts a smile on my face, I hope it does to you too!

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Wowzers

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

eric01

by eric01

Fantastic pictures. And the frame is in such good condition!
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Well done!!!!!!

Singular

by Singular

Absolutely beautiful. Thanks!

DHG01

by DHG01

Spectacular work Stan.

Are you happy with the Gommitalias?

I find they are quite supple, in spite of the 21.5 mm.

Ferry

by Ferry

Hoi Stan, mooie Klein!

I also changed to tubs this year. Did you glue or use tape?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kroem

by kroem

Bravo! Excellent build.

May I ask what the bare frame weight was?
Current
Waltly Gravel (stolen... and found!)
P-X Spitfire Ti
Fairlight Strael

Old
Canyon Ultimate SLX 6.7kg (crashed)
Tantan GR039 7.2kg (sold)