Colnago Master X-Light Sub 6.8 Project (Final Weight: 5.84kg)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

markyboy

by markyboy

HumanReason wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:02 pm
markyboy wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:07 pm
Very nice,i managed to get my master down to 8kg.
I have a arabesque on order and want it to be under 8kg but its very hard.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=163489&p=1609248#p1609248
Awesome looking build. The skewers on yours, what are they? I've had a huge issue on the rear with "lightweight" skewers not providing enough clamping force and under heavy load the wheel will actuall slip in the drops. I have a very very heavy old campy record skewer on it now which prevents the issue but I'd like to find something at least a little lighter that works.

Oh also, did you print decal with the name and flag yourself or get it made somewhere?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Halo-Hex-Key ... SwGXden~0C
The name tag was made you can get them on ebay they are called name on frames,skewers are really light and do up with a hex key
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

LewisK

by LewisK

HumanReason wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:02 pm
markyboy wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:07 pm
Very nice,i managed to get my master down to 8kg.
I have a arabesque on order and want it to be under 8kg but its very hard.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=163489&p=1609248#p1609248
Awesome looking build. The skewers on yours, what are they? I've had a huge issue on the rear with "lightweight" skewers not providing enough clamping force and under heavy load the wheel will actuall slip in the drops. I have a very very heavy old campy record skewer on it now which prevents the issue but I'd like to find something at least a little lighter that works.

Oh also, did you print decal with the name and flag yourself or get it made somewhere?

2 years using these and they have been faultless. Sub 50g from memory, let me know if you want the exact weight!
(modded link)
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-profe ... skewer-set

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

c50jim

by c50jim

If you really want to save weight, why not try to find a Star fork and substitute that for the Precisa? It would be a bigger weight saving than all the smaller things you're looking at. Good ones come up occasionally on eBay. As the owner of three C40s (no C50 any more despite my name here) I bought a NOS spare a few years ago. I prefer the ride of Stars to Precisa although I'm sure the boo birds here would say it doesn't belong on a Master. When I had a Master, I sure liked the cheap carbon fork (can't recall the name but they were offered with Masters about five years ago).

markyboy

by markyboy

That precisa is a heavy fork but is sure nice
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

CarbonWorks

by CarbonWorks

Carbonworks! :up:

But I always recommend the 8 grams version because of its protection-layer! :thumbup:

By virtue of this layer the 8 grams version has:
:smartass: - more grip to hold the bottle stronger,
:smartass: - a smoother surface to protect the bottle from scratches,
:smartass: - a longer life expectancy (especially when riding very often in rain with much dirt between bottle and cage)
Simon
carbonworks.de

HumanReason

by HumanReason

markyboy wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:59 pm
That precisa is a heavy fork but is sure nice
I love it so much on there, had some people suggest using a carbon fork when I first built it but it just wouldn't have suited the frame correctly like this one does.

If only some dummy wouldn't have gone and cut the steerer slightly too short... the dummy was me. Got a plan to correct that with a lower stack on the headset.

LewisK

by LewisK

Hi, have you made any progress with this?

HumanReason

by HumanReason

LewisK wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:29 am
Hi, have you made any progress with this?
Current status: new bottom bracket is here, I just need to remove the old bearing and get the new ones in. New headset with a lower stack height is here, I have to take the bike into a shop to get the old headset cups knocked out and new ones pessed in.

On the wheels end I have a set of Farsports 25T-23UL tubular rims on order. Once they're in they'll be relaced to a my Extralite hubs with new Sapim CXRay spokes. I had thought about trying the rope spokes but it would require using a dremel to debur the hubs first and I'm just not cool with doing that. I'll probably stick with the white spokes again, don't know if I'll take the time to paint the 3 red ones for each wheel.

HumanReason

by HumanReason

Rims and new tires are in. The rims are the Farsports 25T-23UL in a 20h and 24h, actual weights are 225g and 227g respectively. These should be a good weight drop from my current Kinlin rims wich are about 390ish a piece.

Since this is a light duty, fair weather, clean roads bike I decided to continue using the Veloflex Records as I do currently only obviously now in tubulars. They've a little heavier than claimed but within the 5% Veloflex claims at 198g and 202g. The old clinchers were 143g each and another 49g each for tubes so 384 total which means a slight weight gain tire wise once I add in glue which will bring it to about 430g. Easily offset by the reduction in rim weight.

HumanReason

by HumanReason

Updates, lots of new lighter parts.

I'm exploring what weight loss and performance a new carbon fork will provide vs the standard steel Precisa. I'm still not certain I'll like the way it looks so I am setting the bike up to be easy to swap between the two if I decide I want to change it. The new 1" carbon fork is a Columbus Minimal and uncut weighs in at 325g vs the Precisa cut is 734g.

Next big one is a new crankset, the Gravitas is cool and unique but at 443g I could go much lighter with something else. Went the generic WW route and got a THM Clavicula SE which comes in at 301g. I think It'll look pretty nice on the build with the carbon fork, rims, bars, etc.

Bars and seatpost were a Zipp bar and a Thomson masterpiece seat post and they've been replaced with a Darimo post and bars. 71g for the post and 132g for the bars. I haven't weighed the old components yet as they're still on the bikes but I think this will save about 140-150g.

Wheels are being assambled with Sapim CX-rays and will hopefully be done soon and then have the tires glued. The first set of wheels with the kinlin alloy clincher rims and Extralite hubs came in at 554 for the front and 655 for the rear. New wheels will have the same hubs but the new lighter carbon tubular rims. Hopeing this will be a net loss of 200ish grams.

The goal for this build was 6.8kg but I'm really hoping with all the changes I can potentially come close to 6kg.

bencolem

by bencolem

Have the carbon fork wrapped in a chrome finish so it looks like the steel fork? Easy to do and removable...

HumanReason

by HumanReason

bencolem wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:45 pm
Have the carbon fork wrapped in a chrome finish so it looks like the steel fork? Easy to do and removable...
Thats a possibiliy, viynl warp is pretty heavy so I'll need to get the build done and see the final weight and how it all looks together before going that route. Could be pretty cool.

hgw20

by hgw20

Buff...I have the same frame and also love the WW concept, but removing the precisa fork from this built may be illegal!! XD

It's the soul of this bike, regardless the weight the fork must go together with the frame. (Imho)

Enviado desde mi SM-N986B mediante Tapatalk

micky

by micky

If you decide to change the fork please don't post the pictures afterwards; we dont want to risk to have a first case of a WW member arrested for illegal use of carbon fork!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

c50jim

by c50jim

I've owned a lot of Colnagos since 1995. The early ones had Precisa forks but I think your weight comparison shows why you don't want to use that fork. They just weigh a ton. I managed to damage the fork on my original 1995 C40 and couldn't get a replacement with the correct paint. So, i went with the early carbon fork (Flash?) and found it lighter and a nicer ride. When I had a Master a few years ago, I made sure that I could find one with a carbon fork because it is so much lighter (Street in that case which I think is an updated Flash). At one point, I had 5 C40s (you can tell that I really love those frames) and picked up a NOS Star as a spare because I couldn't imagine using enything else. I'm not sure about the Columbus fork since its geometry might not match your Precisa but it seems as though you can still find Stars on line.