Moser Leader AX Build - Oria Steel Tubing

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

VilaNova

by VilaNova

Hello,

I thought I would share my recent build of a Moser Leader AX which I bought recently. This is my first high end steel bike and I must say I am very impressed. It feels very stiff and responsive but never harsh.

Here is the full spec with pictures below:

Frame & Forks: Moser Leader AX - Oria Cromovan tubing. Frame size is 53. 130mm rear spacing - I think is from the early 1990s
Wheels: Fulcrum Racing Zero
Tyres: Vittoria Open Corsa CX
Tubes: Latex
Chainset: Shimano 105 (stripped and polished on drive side as was very scratched)
Bottom Bracket: Shimano (Italian thread)
Chainrings: Stronglight CT2
Shifters: Campagnolo Record 10 speed (from around 2001)
Front Mech: Campagnolo Veloce 10 speed
Rear Mech: Campagnolo Veloce 10 speed
Cables: Campagnolo
Chain: Campagnolo Record 10 speed
Cassette: Campagnolo Veloce 10 speed
Brakes: Campagnolo Centaur (skeleton brakes from around 2009)
Brake Pads: Campagnolo
Pedals: Look Keo 2 Carbon
Bars: Deda Zero 100 42cm
Bar Tape: Deda
Stem: Deda Zero 100 12cm
Quill Stem Adaptor: Deda
Saddle: Selle SMP Dynamic with carbon rail
Seatpin: Moser with internal quill
Headset: Stronglight
Cages: Pro-lite / Elite

Weight: 8.7 kgs.

I am still undecided on whether to replace the stem with a traditional quill set-up as the existing stem (from my previous bike) looks quite bulky next to the slender tubes of the Moser. On the other hand I do like the shape of the modern bars.

Since the photos were taken I have added a ‘step down’ ferrule to the rear mech cable and trimmed the cable further so looks a bit neater.

Here are a few photos:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

I defo feel like it needs a more traditional stem to match the bike and maybe a more standard colour bar tape :)

Sent from my MAR-LX1B using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

paulchen

by paulchen

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:06 pm
I defo feel like it needs a more traditional stem to match the bike and maybe a more standard colour bar tape :)

Sent from my MAR-LX1B using Tapatalk
I agree in principle, but a modern stem opens up a lot more possibilities in terms of Bar choice and fit. I have the same frame and and didn't like any of the few bar choices I had that were available in 25,4 or 26mm, so I used the Deda Spada adapter. Now I have a stem that fits me at a reasonable weight - Quill stems under 280g are like rocking horse shit, and even rarer still with a larger clamping diameter for modern bars.

The downside is that it looks silly, mainly because the outside diameter of the stem is bigger than that of the headset. I found a used Cobra Lamda headset with a larger diameter (https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx ... 1&Enum=111) and it looks much better. I believe there is also a Campagnolo one and one or two others with a similar OD that fit better with a modern stem.
20211121_125717.jpg
With a ritchey WCS stem, the Deda adapter and a shim it comes to 280g, the same as the ITM Goccia I had planned to use. The whole setup is also a lot stiffer, I always had lots of flex when out of the saddle, but I don't have it with this combo.

The other option is this Innicycle adapter made by a guy in Australia that rolls the threadless adapter and headset all into one. They are pretty expensive (esp with shipping, but it is the adapter and headset in one to be fair) and the weight is the same as a headset/Deda Spada/shim combo but you get simplicity and a bit more height adjustment.

Edit: Forgot the Innicycle link: https://www.innicycle.com/