Klein Quantum Race/ Focus WW project

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ogu

by ogu

Hello everyone !

I'm 17 and i got back into cycling recently and i'd like to share my first build.

I bought a klein quantum race and built it with parts i had laying around, ultegra 6500 6700 and 6800, deda rhm, flite, ... It is quite heavy due to the wheels. I don't have a scale yet but i ordered one :twisted:

IMG_0103.jpg

This frame is a bit big for me so i bought a 2015 focus cayo 4.0 (damaged) in a size S :

- repair the frame, sand everything and clearcoat
- 11sp groupset
- tune speedneedle
- chinese seatpost
- clincher/tubeless wheelset (carbon)

IMG_0315.jpg

I have some questions:

I found a cool campy record eps V1 groupset but i don't like the external battery nor the price of a new one. Is there a way to hack and take the "brain" of the V1 battery and connect it to an inline one in the frame? (i've seen it for di2 but not a for campagnolo)

I anybody has advices about the carbon repair. I have some UD tape, some High tg epoxy, shrink tape. I'm not sure how many layers i should do (for seatstays, chainstays). It is a challenge for me as i usually weld metal but never repaired composites

EDIT 11/2021 : the frame is repaired and custom painted but i dont want to ride it anymore ...

Thank you, have a nice day!
Last edited by ogu on Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

themidge

by themidge

That klein frame is a beauty :thumbup:, if I were you I'd pass on the Focus and upgrade the Klein, those are great frames.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Yours is in one of the best colours too. Keep the klein its special.

ogu

by ogu

Hey guys !

Quick update, i repaired the focus and got a friend to custom it. I going to see what i do with it in a few months.

In the meantime i kept on riding the Klein quantum. I feel the more i ride the more i damage the nice paint job but ...

Klein Quantum Race frameset 54
Elita "chinese" seatpost
Kalloy stem
Ritchey evocurve
Flite titanium saddle
campagnolo levers/derailleurs
Ciamillo zero gravity brakes
ultegra crankset
zipp 404 on o lite 11 sp hubs
Vittoria corsa graphene 28's
Chinese links cables

I swapped the wheels for some ZIPP 404 clinchers with 11speed hubs. Got them for cheap so why not !

I also got a non working chorus 11 groupset. It was only dirty and now it working great on my bike.

The campag brakes were not clearing the 28s so i bought a pair of Zero Gs for 60€ !

I ordered a new 38 cm carbon handlebars to test the fit (and a nicer gps mount)

Also on the hunt for a speedneedle and a 50/34 and 170 mm campagnolo crankset (so hard to find used)

I also need to remove the graphics on the stem and clean up the cabling.

I love the bike! and it so much nicer with the new groupset.

I am abroad for a few months and i dont have any scale here but weightwise, its not light... i try to get there but these wheels are heaavy :cry:

I will get some nice pictures when its done !

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Where you finding these deals man! +?? Great looking bike BTW
Formerly known as Curryinahurry

stanvr

by stanvr

Nice! More than a few similarities to my Quantum with the Elita, Kalloy and Ciamillo's. I get your fear of damaging the paint whilst riding, but these bikes are so good I believe they deserved to be ridden and raced as much as you like! I'd rather make good memories with it:)
I'll try to write an update soon on mine, had a few changes on it and I think the build is coming to and end now.

How on earth do you get 28's in there? My 23's seem to be a tight and close fit, I fear 25 will destroy the forks and stays.

Leon

by Leon

Love the Quantum. Too bad it's a tad to big... I lost hope finding a mint Quantum in my size (which is around 50cm). The majority out there is like 55 and bigger.
Ride bikes, not tanks!

Piershazelgrove1996

by Piershazelgrove1996

Love the bike! Crazy you got those Ciamillos so cheap.

I have a Cenatur carbon compact chainset if you're still looking?

DHG01

by DHG01

Very nice looking bike and great age to get back to cycling!

The handlebars seem pretty long reach. Perhaps shorter reach would help with sizing?

ogu

by ogu

It's been a while since i checked the forum!

@stanvr the rims are pretty narrow so i think they fit smaller than 28cm.

A few months ago, i swapped the saddle for a speedneedle and i got some 38 cm wide bars (shorter reach). I also fitted a 3D+/Srm crankset in 50/36 for the steep climbs i had back in italy. I really love this bike in the end with these modifications.

I really disliked the fabric bottle cages in the long run, i kept on losing bottles so i bought some arundel mandibles and they work so well compared to the fabric.

For my fit problem, the reach is still too big even with a short stem, no seatpost setback and a 'short reach' handlebars. If i shorten everything even more the handling will be weird i guess.

To do list :
- get a bikefit
- change the leather on the speedneedle
- new bartape/new hoods
- crankset overall (battery/de-anodizing the some of the red stuff), going 1x (it is so flat where i live now)

In the end i may sell it for something more modern and fitting (i'm thinking chinese stuff), for now it is stuck on the trainer because of a wrist injury (and winter too haha).

Thank you all for your feedback!
Attachments
IMG_8384.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com